Quantcast
French House Machines - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
French House Machines
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
French House Machines

I posted this in another section of the site but I thought I may get a better chance of getting this answered here. .

I love French House music; I have knowledge of Ableton but I feel like transitioning out to hardware as it, in my opinion, achieves a more real, old-school sound.

I was wondering how this guy has all of his set-up wired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamP...SdpAx6mVxndgxQ

He uses Ableton for the sequencer, but I am unsure why he uses Ableton, I presume for sequencing?

But yeah, that's my question. Please help, thanks.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hopefully you like to read ...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ue-thread.html

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The link to your video does not work. Please fix it

Ableton can also be used as an audio multi-track recorder.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Oops, sorry:
French house machines: A demo - YouTube

What does a "multi-track" audio mean? Pretty new to the hardware thing.

@MORDICUS: Oooo, nice thread!
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.E.L.B. ➑️
I posted this in another section of the site but I thought I may get a better chance of getting this answered here. .

I love French House music; I have knowledge of Ableton but I feel like transitioning out to hardware as it, in my opinion, achieves a more real, old-school sound.

I was wondering how this guy has all of his set-up wired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamP...SdpAx6mVxndgxQ

He uses Ableton for the sequencer, but I am unsure why he uses Ableton, I presume for sequencing?

But yeah, that's my question. Please help, thanks.
i'm pretty sure this guy is on the forum (there are links to his videos in the french house thread).

But ya think you pretty much got it right -- he's using ableton to sequence the s950 and s760, the roland s760 is on the filtered loop (he's showing off the sound of the filter in this video), the akai s950 for drums, an an ensoniq dp4 fx unit for probably an added touch of phase or a similar effect on the sampled loop. the 2 samplers' outputs run back into his mixer, which probably just feeds directly back into his interface where he captures the audio in Ableton. It's a pretty straight-forward setup, not much complex routing stuff going on.

Check the description in the video, he spells most of that out there I think
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How do I set up Ableton to sequence those machines. Thanks by the way.

Any type of cables I need too?
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Another question: what are the features of Ableton that allow me to integrate hardware with it? I know it is software but what type of stuff can I do with Ableton that allows me to work with hardware? For example, how could I compose a song with a keyboard, what's the process for that? Do I just input the MIDI notes into Ableton and compose it or could I just compose the piano arrangement on the piano and Ableton would input the MIDI notes exactly as I play?

Yeah, that might be slightly confusing to explain haha, but hopefully you get what I mean.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi D.E.L.B. ...
As i don t know your budget to get hardware i ll start a list with gear ;and i m sure others from the board will join and add to it ... Here are a few suggestions :
Analogue drum machine ( and then layer with samples ) JOMOX AIRBASE 99 / JOMOX X BASE 09
A Sampler ( AKAI ; ROLAND ... )
Analogue filter ( or buy the SOUNDTOYS PLUG IN BUNDDLE )
MS20 mini
MOOG source
STUDIO electronics 4075
KORG TRIDENT
KORG POLYSIX
ROLAND JX 3P
ROLAND JUNO 6 / 60 / 106 / Alpha juno
A rompler ROLAND ??? for strings ; rhodes ; piano .... sounds . ROLAND JD 990
Fender bass / fender guitar if u can play an instrument
Some good jazz and Funk records / cd s ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 26th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
How do I set up Ableton to sequence those machines.
You buy an USB MIDI interface with enough inputs and outputs. I have a MOTU MIDI Express 128 myself, but I've got lots of stuff to hook up.

After installation you can choose in the dropdown where the output of a MIDI channel needs to be routed to.

Quote:
Any type of cables I need too?
MIDI cables.

Quote:
For example, how could I compose a song with a keyboard, what's the process for that?
You have a controller keyboard - whether it's a synthesizer without USB that gets hooked up via aforementioned MIDI interface or a controller keyboard with USB that doesn't have a sound source built in - and you record the MIDI notes in Ableton.

The resulting audio coming out of a hardware synthesizer is then recorded on a separate audio track, so you get both; the notes you play and the sound it makes. For software synths, you don't need a separate audio track.

Multi-track audio recording simply means that you can plug in several devices and have all their sounds recorded separately, instead of pre-mixed (e.g. like the stereo output on a mixing desk). However, not all audio interfaces allow this; if you only have 2 inputs, it means you have to plug out and plug in the synth you want to record every time.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This video of Alan Braxe in his studio is quite relevant to French house production

He talks about how he and Fred Falke made "Intro"

A comment sums it up well "This is the ULTIMATE french house setup! A Sample (directly from vinyl) -> SP-1200 -> Mackie mixer -> Alesis 3036."
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Budget is around 1000 pounds. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No offence but you seem really new to audio production... I'm not sure stepping out the box may be the best idea. Honestly you can do a lot of that stuff ITB now.. I understand the desire for hardware though but maybe Maschine/Renaissance/Push would be better solutions? the key is basically just filtering, bit-reduction & side-chain compression
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
That's true. But there's always a time to learn. Push costs quite a bit of money too.

But yeah if someone could gimme some gear on the budget specified above it would be appreciated.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Building an old-school setup isn't just about learning, you need to pretty much invest in a whole new setup.. do you have a mixer? does your sound card have enough inputs to track? is the midi sync & latency tight enough? are you prepared to save on to floppies & zip disks? having close to no computer integration? etc etc.. going OTB isn't for the faint of heart & going 1996 OTB even less! Just warning you all that might not be worth it if all you wanna do is add a little mojo to your ableton setup..

I'd advise Renaissance because it gives you some of the classic MPC sound & workflow... add a 3630 and an analog mono for bass (Moog, MS-20mini) and you're set

..if you do wanna go full OTB well all the usual tools are listed in above posts, might explode your budget though
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Agree with xanax. It's not just a question of buying the right stuff. Getting 2014 software and 1990s kit working seamlessly is trickier than it sounds. Particularly the latency/midi timing stuff.

French house is basically built on sampling and filtering. You can do that in ableton and get very close to the sound you want.

Try to learn ableton inside out for six months, then maybe get a hardware sampler.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Alright. What hardware sampler is the best? I understand that the SP1200 was the sampler of choice among Thomas Bangalter and Alan Braxe in the day but they had cost loads and they break down a lot; apparently.

What's a, I suppose, equivalent piece of kit that is less likely to crash and doesn't cost too much?

How can I also hook up a Minimoog to Ableton and the Alesia 3630/32?
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How could I use the Push to create songs? Not very familiar with it, just heard it was a real game changer.

Or even Renaissance as suggested above, what are these pieces of equipment?
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dude go on Google/YT and research the ****.. zillion of tutorials out there..

As for Renaissance, it's the latest hybrid MPC:
MPC Renaissance : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC
(just like Maschine it has a SP-1200 emulation mode btw)
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
sorry I disagree

you can so easily get the french house just with an Akai sampler, mackie mixer and 3630-just like that guy in the videos...you can get a Ensoniq DP2 for not much...easily under 1k...you use these to make your beats...or you can spend hours and hours trying to get it to sound authentic in the box...and never really succeed.

If you get an Akai S1100 you get your FX built in...and you can use other outputs with the DP2...and yes sequence it with any sequencer...

Using Akai MPC renaissance you may as well use any ITB solution...it has ITB sound not akai sound of old...
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Forget hardware for a moment. If you want to emulate the 90s French sound the most important thing is to *learn sampling technique*.

Buy a load of old disco and funk vinyl or CDs. Sample short bits into Ableton. Learn to loop, filter and compress them. Don't use long samples. Don't use too many effects. Layer them over 909 drum samples. Bingo.

A controller keyboard or Push will help you control Ableton better. I'd get a cheap 2 octave keyboard to start.

The MOST important thing is being able to spot and manipulate and incredible sample. That's what Daft Punk, Γ‰tienne de CrΓ©cy, Alex Gopher, etc really nailed. It's not the gear it's the technique.

Once you've mastered that then all the hardware you'll ever need is listed in the other thread in the first reply you got. ;D

Messing with samples in a DAW is really good fun. You'll learn loads and you won't get bogged down in frustrating hardware problems.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@SWan808: I'm not a fan of Maschine or even Ableton really but have you tried Renaissance? because the 3000 emulation is pretty spot on, it even has the exact filter which is a major part of it's sound.. but the main thing about MPC's imo is the workflow, how you chop on it, the note repeat, 16 levels etc.. Ren captures all that..

also as stated above French House is mostly about sample selection, chopping & filtering over raw beats.. that is what needs to be learned first & foremost.. deal with the equipment later..

but anyways I did give OP those same suggestions.. Akai sampler, mixer & 3630.. but this guy doesn't even seem to know how to plug a cable (again no offence) I can't even imagine how complex MIDI patching might be, or saving on to SCSI devices.. so I was just warning him about the OTB route.. just some friendly advice, a lot of people think buying [vintage] hardware is just a matter of finding the right equipment but there is definitely a whole approach to put into perspective.. believe me i'm speaking from experience.. but you know I'm a OTB hardware guy at heart..
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I just want to mix a bit of Hardware and Software together. Daft Punk does this now as Alive 2007 was done with Ableton primarily.

So I'd need a Alesis 3630, a Sampler, a Mixer, and an Ensoniq DP/4 for filtering and phasing? And possibly a Moog synth for bassline? In right in saying that?
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ that would be a good start.. don't forget the most important: tasty disco vinyl from the late 70s

FYI Alive 2007 was a live show consisting of a giant mash-up of previously recorded material.. they did have 4 Voyager RME's overdubbing parts but it was scarce..
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Aight. Cheers. Couple of more questions.

I learnt how to hook up MIDI which would be for the Moog. But what about hooking up the mixer, sampler, compressor and the Ensoniq for use with Ableton? Man I hope I don't sound like an idiot when posting this haha.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yeah vinyl digging is a very big part of it - almost the biggest...and learn to listen and pick out samples - and manipulate them creatively...

xanax dude I know you have a good and true heart! I confess I have not tried the rennassance but I have put some time into studying the output sound of akais and software simply cannot give that punch and presence - I would not be exaggerating to say I have tried pretty much every plugin trying...samples in the box always sound limp and thin in comparison...the punch and RMS increase of an S1000 is almost unbelievable...and it happens without any effort...that is part of the reason why that buy on youtube in the first post - music sounds cool even though its very simply constructed and not even that well mixed...

yeah MIDI patching can be tricky...I tend to forget that as I get it now...

there is no easy solution if sound is important to you unfortunately...
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As suggested by Xanax i would recommand something like MASCHINE ( user here ) . i just don t know if it s good integrated with Live ( i m on Pro tools ) . The sampling section is dead easy to use ( MPC 60 ; SP 1200 emulation ) ; effects are great ; large library that provides endless possibilities for u to create and edit your own samples . u can drag and drop or record samples ...u can use plug ins instruments and effects as vst inside it ... it has it s own sequencer ... i m sold on MASCHINE but i m a user since the start so ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Cheers guys.

However, I still have one more question, how do you hook up an Alesis 3630, a Sampler, a Mixer, and an Ensoniq DP/4 to Ableton? Maschine is also pretty much my sampler right?
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^^^^
MASCHINE can be your sampler ; sequencer ; drum machine ; keys ; effects ...It s hooked up with USB ... a sound card ( what is yours ? ) is usb ; firewire ... Soundcard or mixer must be hooked digitally with your computer ... cascading or inserting on the analogue side and hooking digitally with computer ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 26th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Aight. Cheers. Couple of more questions.

I learnt how to hook up MIDI which would be for the Moog. But what about hooking up the mixer, sampler, compressor and the Ensoniq for use with Ableton? Man I hope I don't sound like an idiot when posting this haha.

You don't sound like an idiot, since you are being nice and accepting the advice you ask for. However, a lot of these "how do I hook this up to this" questions have the same answer: RTFM (read the f***ing manual) too many of these and you'll get less and less advice and less and less of it will be kind.

Look up the manuals for the gear you think you like, they almost all have setup diagrams or at least name the available connections. Wrap your head around what you want to do and formulate deeper questions.
I know nothing of French House, but these guys won't steer you wrong, they eat drink and breath this stuff.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quite true, cheers.

@MORDICUS: I have a "High Definition Audio Device" that was created by Microsoft. I can already see it won't be enough to work with hardware, will probably buy an audio interface for that.
πŸ“ Reply