Quantcast
midi 101 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
midi 101
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
midi 101

So i got a free copy of Ableton lite which came with a midi keyboard. Is it possible to use Abletons chord device (and other midi tools) to play chords on my Cheetah MS6? I have no midi boxes/soundcards, just a laptop (which is used mainly to create sample chains). At present its all set up (usb keyboard and cheetah) to the Octatrack. Any advice is appreciated.

edit - ableton lite doesnt have external instruments. But say for argument sake, if i had the proper version - would this be possible and how?

cheers
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
External instrument plugin to your cheetah. Drop whatever midi effect you want into the plugin window, that includes the chord effect.

Edit: you don't need external instrument plugin, just a midi track to send and audio track to receive on. The plugin is just a nice way of consolidating these into one track.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You only need the external instrument plugin if you're monitoring the Cheetah via Ableton (input monitoring). The external instrument plugin sends MIDI one roundtrip early.

If you are monitoring via Ableton, look up your "Overall latency" in Preferences > Audio. Then set a negative track delay on the midi track equal to that latency figure plus 1-3 ms (in the negative direction) to account for the synths response time if you feel it needs it.

The negative track delay will only affect pre-recorded MIDI clips, not live keyboard stuff.
📝 Reply