Quantcast
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer

Tokyo, Japan - February 17, 2014 - KORG INC. is proud to announce that a faithful recreation of the legendary 1970s analog synthesiser, the ARP Odyssey, is being developed by Korg for release later in 2014.

The ARP Odyssey was released in 1972 by ARP Instruments, Inc. and quickly became famous for its unique rich sound and innovative performance controls. It was a staple for many recording and performing musicians worldwide and was used on countless hit records over many years. The Odyssey was one of the highlights of the ARP company and became a long selling product. With slight updates and improvements it was sold through to 1981.

Korg is also proud to welcome Mr David Friend as our chief advisor on the Odyssey. David Friend established ARP Instruments, Inc. along with Alan Robert Pearlman and is a past president of ARP Instruments, Inc. He was also the lead designer of the original Odyssey in addition to designing or co-designing many other products.

After ARP, Mr Friend became a successful technology entrepreneur. In 2010, he was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in the Emerging Technology category for the New England Region, he has been a lecturer at MIT's Sloan School of Management and is now Chairman & CEO of Carbonite, Inc. He has been a trustee of the New England Conservatory and Berklee College of Music.

In the last few years, KORG INC. has released several top selling analog synthesizers such as the monotrons series, the monotribe, the volca series and the hugely successful MS-20 mini, a faithful fully analog recreation of the 1978 MS-20. With Korg's technology capabilities and planning ability for analog synthesizers, and in collaboration with David Friend, we believe the legendary ARP Odyssey will become a "must have" for an all new generation of music makers.

The ARP Odyssey is scheduled for release in September 2014.

- See more at: KORG announces the development of an all new ARP Odyssey synthesizer. | News | KORG

Old 17th February 2014
Deleted 8456dd3
HOLY CRAP!!!

This is SOOO COOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
Tokyo, Japan - February 17, 2014 - KORG INC. is proud to announce that a faithful recreation of the legendary 1970s analog synthesiser, the ARP Odyssey, is being developed by Korg for release later in 2014.

The ARP Odyssey was released in 1972 by ARP Instruments, Inc. and quickly became famous for its unique rich sound and innovative performance controls. It was a staple for many recording and performing musicians worldwide and was used on countless hit records over many years. The Odyssey was one of the highlights of the ARP company and became a long selling product. With slight updates and improvements it was sold through to 1981.

Korg is also proud to welcome Mr David Friend as our chief advisor on the Odyssey. David Friend established ARP Instruments, Inc. along with Alan Robert Pearlman and is a past president of ARP Instruments, Inc. He was also the lead designer of the original Odyssey in addition to designing or co-designing many other products.

After ARP, Mr Friend became a successful technology entrepreneur. In 2010, he was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in the Emerging Technology category for the New England Region, he has been a lecturer at MIT's Sloan School of Management and is now Chairman & CEO of Carbonite, Inc. He has been a trustee of the New England Conservatory and Berklee College of Music.

In the last few years, KORG INC. has released several top selling analog synthesizers such as the monotrons series, the monotribe, the volca series and the hugely successful MS-20 mini, a faithful fully analog recreation of the 1978 MS-20. With Korg's technology capabilities and planning ability for analog synthesizers, and in collaboration with David Friend, we believe the legendary ARP Odyssey will become a "must have" for an all new generation of music makers.

The ARP Odyssey is scheduled for release in September 2014.

- See more at: KORG announces the development of an all new ARP Odyssey synthesizer. | News | KORG
Old 17th February 2014
Deleted 8456dd3
Perhaps Korg will eventually remake some of the old classics for Roland at some stage too!!! Hahaaaa
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hahahahaha YES
Old 17th February 2014
Deleted 60622ed
i hope its digital!!!
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I thought this was a windup at first! Alwas wanted an Odyssey. Great news.
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow! No one saw that coming.

Rather than a completely faithful reproduction I'd be happy to see a few modern features too. Most especially (sacrilege!)
patch memories - if it could be well implemented.
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A bigger "Aira? Damn near killed 'm!" was probably not possible
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Korg: The analog Kingdom belongs to US!
Old 17th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntropic ➑️
Wow! No one saw that coming.

Rather than a completely faithful reproduction I'd be happy to see a few modern features too. Most especially (sacrilege!)
patch memories - if it could be well implemented.
They could start by not letting the keyboard exceed the length of the box, and using something different than the tiny plastic ribbed switches. Nobody'd mind that if those were turned into on-off switches with LEDs or something.

I'm already happy that someone bought the brand name and decided to do stuff with it, instead of letting it linger.
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Holy ****!!!!!!!!

Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
read: korg gets it, roland doesn't

i wonder if they specifically held out / released this information to take a jab at roland.

seems a little more than coincidental
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WOOOOOOWWWW !!!!!

Great , what will be next , a faithful creation of Roland SH-101 ?
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
omg Korg I adore you
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So now after the MS 20 ; ARP odyssey !!!!! Thanks KORG ... F*****G awesome ... Can t wait for this funky ARP ... So proud of KORG ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years

put this image in the op please
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
But will it have scatter?
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ho. Lee. ****. An ARP Odyssey has been on top of my most-wanted-mono list for a long long time.
I can't believe this is happening! KORG, you have my eternal respect.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
surely then a mono/poly is also on the cards.
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Oh my god. Auto-buy. Most of my favorite synth sounds are ARP, and I've been lusting after one for a good 10+ years. I'll be saving up, and expect to be first in line come September.

So when can we expect a 2600?
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I htought this was a joke at first, and just for fun clicked on the thread anyway.. looks legit now! haaha!

Oh my poor wallet.. how much will this go for? Hopefully not much over 500?
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first reaction was to check my calendar 8 times to make sure today isn't April Fool's day. Nope. Then I snooped around and tried to see if the press announcement was fake. Nope.

Then I was all like

Holy ****!!!!!!!

and then I was like

wha?

huh?

No way?

Unbelievable!

This is really shocking. I never in a million years would have predicted Korg would do this. It's just crazy, but in the best sort of way.

I do hope that they'll fix what I consider to be a glaring fault on the Odyssey: the lack of pitch and mod wheels. The original is just ridiculous in that area and I can't recall ever seeing somebody comment favorably on that part of the design.

But the press release shows a photo of a prototype that looks to be 100% the same as an Odyssey.
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
At first I was like all you excited. But then it is mono simple synth... And will cost at lest $1000...
Deleted 8456dd3
Not much over 500? Really..??
I'd be well surprised if they can do it anywhere near that cheap.
I absolutely loved my old MK3 Odyssey such a great sound.
Feel sorry for those guys that are making DIY ARP stuff, like AMsynth and SRS!

What would be super cool would be if they could take that old Rhodes Chroma and turn that into some modern day polyphonic, because circuit wise there isnt much inside a Chroma and its just about the most versatile analogue polyphonic synth ever made with a great sound, but such a huge pain in the ass to program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt ➑️
I htought this was a joke at first, and just for fun clicked on the thread anyway.. looks legit now! haaha!

Oh my poor wallet.. how much will this go for? Hopefully not much over 500?
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would rather see a Korg Polyphonic VCO synthesiser, but this just seems fantastic...

Are you sure this isn't a joke?
Cause it just seems to be too good to be true, actually... :S
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoMishka ➑️
At first I was like all you excited. But then it is mono simple synth... And will cost at lest $1000...
And it's analog with drifting oscillators.. and if i remember correctly, you don't like that
Old 17th February 2014
Deleted cda76ca
Yowser!
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All my time I've spent on various synth forums, i've always been one of the few supporting and having faith in Korg (whilst everyone else lived and breathed in planet Roland).

If this is legit, then ...

Go KORG!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by payt ➑️
And it's analog with drifting oscillators.. and if i remember correctly, you don't like that
, no I am not against drifting VCOs on 30 year old synth. But when DCOs drift on synth produced in 2013, I don`t like it.
Old 17th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
πŸ“ Reply