Quantcast
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer - Page 171 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer
Old 1st July 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange ➡️
Behringer is able to accept criticism
I'll probably get an RD-8 MkII after the SonicState review.
Old 2nd July 2021 | Show parent
TJT
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Fortunately, the B2600 the front pannel of the B2600 is full of trim pots behind little rubber caps. :-)

Like described on the video page, I didn’t look for exact matching sounds, but to answer the question: how close/different do both synths sound if the controls are set to the same position? There is no doubt someone could get more similar results with a little more time and carefully matching the controls.

On some cases, like you said, calibration could be the answer for the different sounding synths. I’m thinking now of the minimal pulse width. On some synths, the minimal pulse width goes to zero and the sound just disappears. That doesn’t mean the synth is faulty: the minimal pulse width was programmed/calibrated this way.

On the other case, the differences in filter sound and envelope response are simply real: more filters on the Odyssey (including 12 db/oct and drive) vs three time ranges for each B2600 envelope. Those are different hardware designs. You get different sounds despite calibration.
3 time ranges? Sorry I missed that. I didn't watch your whole video. I was thinking that the closing of the filter on the vcf envelope amount at a different range could be due to the calibration of the filter cutoff though. The sliders themselves can't be calibrated, but they do have a longer physical range than the Korg, right? That could contribute to the difference as well. There's also some weird differences in behavior that come into play when you change the calibration on the vca itself.
Old 2nd July 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT ➡️
3 time ranges? Sorry I missed that. I didn't watch your whole video. I was thinking that the closing of the filter on the vcf envelope amount at a different range could be due to the calibration of the filter cutoff though. The sliders themselves can't be calibrated, but they do have a longer physical range than the Korg, right? That could contribute to the difference as well. There's also some weird differences in behavior that come into play when you change the calibration on the vca itself.
Please use the time sections on the video page and jump directly to the envelope section. There you can clearly hear the effect of changing the time ranges with a three-positions switch. From my experience, the Korg Odyssey’s envelope behaves similar to the slowest time range of the B2600. For ultra fast, clicky envelopes, the B2600 is the right choice.
Old 3rd July 2021 | Show parent
TJT
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Please use the time sections on the video page and jump directly to the envelope section. There you can clearly hear the effect of changing the time ranges with a three-positions switch. From my experience, the Korg Odyssey’s envelope behaves similar to the slowest time range of the B2600. For ultra fast, clicky envelopes, the B2600 is the right choice.
If there is a FUNCTION on the 2600 that is NOT on the Odyssey, then it stands to reason, in that case they will behave differently.

I guess I didn't know that I should clarify, but I will: in the cases where both synths have the same functions, the differences might often come down to calibration.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that in that demonstration of the clicky envelopes, you don't have the Filter Envelope up all the way on the Odyssey. If you want to get MAX clickiness, you have to bring that all the way up. It still won't compete with a synth that has a envelope ramp time switch, but it will get closer.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=TJT;15525423]If there is a FUNCTION on the 2600 that is NOT on the Odyssey, then it stands to reason, in that case they will behave differently.

I guess I didn't know that I should clarify, but I will: in the cases where both synths have the same functions, the differences might often come down to calibration.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that in that demonstration of the clicky envelopes, you don't have the Filter Envelope up all the way on the Odyssey. If you want to get MAX clickiness, you have to bring that all the way up. It still won't compete with a synth that has a envelope ramp time switch, but it will get closer.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the thing with the halfway envelope slider. I tried several settings before recording and I may have forgotten some detail.

In case of same model of synths, differences in sound may come from different calibration. But B2600 and Korgyssey being from different manufacturers, you can’t be sure that the same functions will sound the same, unless both brands use the exact same parts in both synths.

Let’s speak oscillators. There were at least two revisions for the 2600. The first ones are said to be a little unstable but richer in sound. Do we know if the oscillators in B2600 and Korgyssey are the same revision? Even if they are, do we know that both manufacturers succeed in getting the exact sound with their designs. That’s what I mean when I say that it may be some sound differences using the same functions beyond calibration.
TJT
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Let’s speak oscillators. There were at least two revisions for the 2600. The first ones are said to be a little unstable but richer in sound. Do we know if the oscillators in B2600 and Korgyssey are the same revision? Even if they are, do we know that both manufacturers succeed in getting the exact sound with their designs. That’s what I mean when I say that it may be some sound differences using the same functions beyond calibration.

I'd say any "richness of sound" is actually caused by the instability. (ie extra phasing due to pitch instability). I'm guessing both Behringer and Korg have very stable oscillators.

But, the things I was commenting on were more the obvious things you show in your video. Like the taper of the filter. But, sure, there might be, and probably are more subtle differences attributed to the difference between Behringer and Korg parts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Can I use an external sound module or synth (e.g. Moog Mother 32) and run it into the external input on my Arp Odyssey module and use an arturia keystep to play 3 notes?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd say any "richness of sound" is actually caused by the instability. (ie extra phasing due to pitch instability). I'm guessing both Behringer and Korg have very stable oscillators.
The original ARP Odyssey also had very stable oscillators. That was one of its selling points. (Source)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

But, the things I was commenting on were more the obvious things you show in your video. Like the taper of the filter. But, sure, there might be, and probably are more subtle differences attributed to the difference between Behringer and Korg parts.
For some people, “richness of sound” means exactly what you describe, for other ones, a powerful filter, o even inherent distortion (a la MS-20).
Some of that instability can be desirable or not, depending on your musical goals. The beauty of synths is the capability of adapt this instability to your needs. On the 2600, you could maybe modulate only one VCO and let the others be stable. On my Minimoog, the VCOs are calibrated by accident in a way that the low notes will sound with some detuning/chorusing, while the high ones sound almost with no VCO phasing, which in fact alters noticeably the resulting sound. That’s far from ideal tuning, but I won’t touch calibration because it sounds good to me like it is now.
TJT
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
The original ARP Odyssey also had very stable oscillators. That was one of its selling points. (Source)
That's interesting. I've got an original mk 1 and an original mk 3.

The Mk1 is not stable, but I've done a ton of work on it to try and make it stable.

The Mk3 is very stable and always has been. But, probably less stable than the new ones. I can imagine back in the 70s, having a stable synth trumped a lot of talk about "richness of sound." But, over time, these synths degrade and start sounding a little less predictable, which a lot of people like.

I prefer the fatness of the 4 pole filter, but the 2 pole has it's charm. On the Korg version, I know the 2 pole is louder than the other two filters, and I know people prefer it. I do often wonder if that volume difference has something to do with it.. On the originals, it's not a louder filter. It's brighter and less bassy.

Anyway...off on a tangent.
Gear Maniac
I usually find myself backing the oscillator levels off when using Filter 1, because overdriving it mushes out the resonance. With a gentler signal going it it sounds similar to the Yamaha 12db/Oct filters, which suits me fine!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
And that still didn’t save it from being dropped from atop a building by Steely Dan.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So, is it possible to play 3 note paraphony if I add an external oscillator from the mother 32 to the korg odysse and use a Keystep to play it.

Im guessing I would need a keyboard that has multiple CV and gate outs if it were to actually work

Sorry to ask again.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
And that still didn’t save it from being dropped from atop a building by Steely Dan.
Even the ones that weren’t dropped all ended up looking like this because of that overbite.
Attached Images
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer-07bf9880-80b6-4b64-90c4-c60f3c956f7b.jpeg 
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree ➡️
So, is it possible to play 3 note paraphony if I add an external oscillator from the mother 32 to the korg odysse and use a Keystep to play it.

Im guessing I would need a keyboard that has multiple CV and gate outs if it were to actually work

Sorry to ask again.
The Korg Odyssey is duophonic by design. You only need your standard midi cable. :-)
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Korg Odyssey is duophonic by design. You only need your standard midi cable. :-)
Yep. The way it works is interesting…

In that era (when the original Odyssey was designed), mono synths used either high or low note priority, meaning if you held down multiple keys, it would either use the highest or lowest pitch, depending on which end of the keyboard they measured the voltage from (Roland and Moog used low note; Yamaha and Korg used high note). The trick of the ARP Odyssey is it used both low and high note priority (measured the voltage from both ends of the keyboard), and if you held down multiple keys, the lowest key set the pitch of VCO1, and the highest key set the pitch of the VCO2. It’s quite interesting in practice and very different from two note polyphony.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Sorry to ask again.
The Odyssey only has one CV and GATE input, but as the others have said, when two keys are played it splits the high-low note priority between the two oscillators.
Anyway, it will not handle a third CV (it will always take only the highest and lowest notes, no matter how many more you play), so for adding a third oscillator you will need a controller with a separate CV/Gate out and programmable note priority.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Sorry to ask again.
It's possible to kind of get three notes if you set another synth to last note priority, but you'll only get three notes when the last note is in between the upper and lower notes.

If you have something like the Doepfer polyphonic modules you can get four CVs from MIDI.

You can send a CV for Osc 2 through the pedal input of the Odyssey, but you have to subtract the main CV from it first and rescale it a bit. It might be interesting if you have several Odysseys. I have two, but it's a chore to do this kind of thing. It's easier to play them from different keyboards (one of mine is the Korg module).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 ➡️
The Odyssey only has one CV and GATE input, but as the others have said, when two keys are played it splits the high-low note priority between the two oscillators.
Anyway, it will not handle a third CV (it will always take only the highest and lowest notes, no matter how many more you play), so for adding a third oscillator you will need a controller with a separate CV/Gate out and programmable note priority.
When controlled via CV, the Odyssey is strictly monophonic. There is no way to send two notes over a single CV/gate pair. The CV input sets the pitch, and the gate is used to trigger the envelopes. The only way to play it duophonically is with the built-in keyboard or via MIDI.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
When controlled via CV, the Odyssey is strictly monophonic.
The only way to play it duophonically is with the built-in keyboard or via MIDI.
Totally true, sorry!
I got confused because I exclusively play my Oddy exactly from its keyboard or via MIDI.

I use its CV outs to control other synths (it's a very good CV controller, btw).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 ➡️
Totally true, sorry!
I got confused because I exclusively play my Oddy exactly from its keyboard or via MIDI.

I use its CV outs to control other synths (it's a very good CV controller, btw).
Nice. I haven't played with the CV outputs at all.

I have the module, and usually control it via a MIDI to CV converter (Kenton Pro Solo mk3), which makes it monophonic but adds some useful features, such as using velocity to control the filter cutoff through the pedal input. I also have it directly connected via MIDI, so I can switch to that if I want to play it duophonically — though I have the unplug the CV cable for that to work properly.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Nice. I haven't played with the CV outputs at all.

I have the module, and usually control it via a MIDI to CV converter (Kenton Pro Solo mk3), which makes it monophonic but adds some useful features, such as using velocity to control the filter cutoff through the pedal input. I also have it directly connected via MIDI, so I can switch to that if I want to play it duophonically — though I have the unplug the CV cable for that to work properly.
I've interfaced it with my eurorack and the outputs on my Subsequent 37 CV but I didn't even give it a thought to modulate the filter cutoff with velocity! Usually I just send a cycling delayed LFO/function generator to it.
📝 Reply