Quantcast
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer - Page 170 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KORG ARP Odyssey synthesizer
Old 8th February 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars ➡️
The average consumer, then likes small things they can throw in a back pack, in a moments notice, and be off. Portability. I'm not from this mp3, disposable, generation. I'm from a generation where things were still built to last. Now, everything is cheap, and disposable. No value on quality.
+100
Old 8th February 2021
Gear Maniac

People have been saying "they don't build 'em like they used to," since 1000 B.C.

You can get junk or quality from any era. Guess which lasts long enough to be remembered? Correct! The good stuff.

This applies to everything, and explains a lot.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy ➡️
People have been saying "they don't build 'em like they used to," since 1000 B.C.

You can get junk or quality from any era. Guess which lasts long enough to be remembered? Correct! The good stuff.

This applies to everything, and explains a lot.
Yep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My Karp module is very well built. I won't be gigging with it but I can't see having any issues with the build quality. I'm quite pleased! Feels built to last to me.
Old 19th June 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a white face module, when the VCA output is pulled just below halfway down there is no sound, seems like there fader doesnt have much of an effect on the volume until its just over a quarter of the way up.
Old 20th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree ➡️
I have a white face module, when the VCA output is pulled just below halfway down there is no sound, seems like there fader doesnt have much of an effect on the volume until its just over a quarter of the way up.
That's normal for the Odyssey.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstaf ➡️
That's normal for the Odyssey.
Thank you John, appreciate it, I guess there isn't a way to calibrate it or change its behaviour?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you John, appreciate it, I guess there isn't a way to calibrate it or change its behaviour?
A tech could likely adjust it, or you could if you're handy with an iron and circuit alterations.
Old 21st June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The fader doesn’t work in a linear way, but exponentially. That’s why you get no sound halfway down.
Not completely sure, but I guess this is historically correct, even if a little annoying: my Behringer 2600 works exactly that way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you mean the AR/ADSR input to the VCA, I think that slider is exponential, like the ADSR > VCA slider on the 2600.

Have you found a use for that slider though? I always leave it all the way up.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange ➡️
The fader doesn’t work in a linear way, but exponentially. That’s why you get no sound halfway down.
Not completely sure, but I guess this is historically correct, even if a little annoying: my Behringer 2600 works exactly that way.
Yeah…as far as I understand that behavior is correctly replicated from the original 2600. You can patch the ADSR into the "AR" input to get a linear response from the ADSR. If you look closely it has "LIN" and "EXP" labels under those sliders. On the 2600 it makes sense to have both kinds of input scaling, since you can freely patch anything into them. I don't know why they didn't just go with a linear response on the Odyssey though.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
T even if a little annoying: my Behringer 2600 works exactly that way.
i patch adsr out to ar in VCA section and ar out to adsr, i prefer it that way most of the time
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
i patch adsr out to ar in VCA section and ar out to adsr, i prefer it that way most of the time
Nice hint. That’s the beauty of the 2600. It can do so much more than meets the eye.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My pleasure.

The two gain controls work together. If you raise the VCA Gain fader (the top gain control), you'll notice the bottom one works throughout its travel.

It's a bit like the filter has a cutoff level and envelope amount/scale fader. The bottom volume control is like an envelope amount/scale fader (but for the volume) and the top is the VCA equivalent of the cutoff frequency control.

If you have the cutoff all the way down in the filter, it can still be opened by the envelope, but only if the envelope fader is turned up quite a bit. Likewise if you have the upper VCA control all the way down, you have to have the bottom control up quite a bit to hear anything.

If you have the cutoff up high, the envelope won't close it all the way. The two VCA faders work with each other the same way. The VCA equivalent of the filter not closing is notes fading into a faint drone (or you can just have a full drone if you don't use the bottom fader at all).

I thought it was an odd way to do things until I realised how useful it can be to have a partial drone and still have full use of the envelopes.

Last edited by Johnstaf; 21st June 2021 at 02:32 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Korg Odyssey vs Behringer 2600. My opinion: unexpectedly different.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Well the Odyssey and 2600 aren't exactly the same synth... what did you expect?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➡️
Well the Odyssey and 2600 aren't exactly the same synth... what did you expect?
AFAIK, electronics in both Odyssey and 2600 shared (of course not all) components, even if the historical development of the different variations of each synths weren’t copies of each other.

So, my starting point was: if both synths are historically based on similar/same components (for example: Odyssey and 2600 had the same filter in the latest models), how close or different do sound the modern recreations?

As said in the video page, nothing scientific here, just putting both synths side and side and enjoying similarities and differences in sound texture.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
nice little pair together aren't they
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
nice little pair together aren't they
IMHO, great value having both, not so much overlapping as expected, and saving lots of space at home (compared with the real state of the original ones).
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
IMHO, great value having both, not so much overlapping as expected, and saving lots of space at home (compared with the real state of the original ones).
I have both myself but mine is keys , good pair , diff sounds (apart from obvious ) and diff experience so is the module about the same width give or take ?
Lives for gear

Quote:

why VS? odyssey and 2600 makes more sense
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have both myself but mine is keys , good pair , diff sounds (apart from obvious ) and diff experience so is the module about the same width give or take ?
AFIAK, the module and the keys version are the same size.
Lives for gear

Quote:
AFAIK, electronics in both Odyssey and 2600 shared (of course not all) components, even if the historical development of the different variations of each synths weren’t copies of each other.

So, my starting point was: if both synths are historically based on similar/same components (for example: Odyssey and 2600 had the same filter in the latest models), how close or different do sound the modern recreations?

As said in the video page, nothing scientific here, just putting both synths side and side and enjoying similarities and differences in sound texture.
I think it's a valid assumption. I've tried copying several patches from my Odyssey module to both Korg's ARP Odyssey plugin (which nails the sound every time) and Cherry Audio CA2600, and it gets surprisingly close. Clearly the two original synths share a lot of DNA. The Odyssey is basically a mini 2600 with switches instead of jacks.

Because it also includes a 2-pole filter (like the rev 1 Odyssey), CA2600 does a pretty convincing impression of the Odyssey.

The actual 2600 didn't have a 2-pole filter, so this is where the Behringer and Korg 2600s will likely differ the most.

Odyssey filters:

Rev 1: 4023 (2-pole)
Rev 2: 4035 (4-pole, like Moog ladder filter)
Rev 3: 4075 (4-pole, ARP design)

2600 filters:

Early models: 4012 (4-pole, like Moog ladder filter)
Orange/black: 4072 (4-pole, ARP design; basically the same as the 4075)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
Clearly the two original synths share a lot of DNA. The Odyssey is basically a mini 2600 with switches instead of jacks.

Odyssey filters:

Rev 1: 4023 (2-pole)
Rev 2: 4035 (4-pole, like Moog ladder filter)
Rev 3: 4075 (4-pole, ARP design)

2600 filters:

Early models: 4012 (4-pole, like Moog ladder filter)
Orange/black: 4072 (4-pole, ARP design; basically the same as the 4075)
Yeah, like I said, from a historically-technically point of view, there was a lot in common. Rev 2 on the Odyssey should be close to the early model filter on the 2600 and Rev 3 should be close to the filters in the orange/black 2600’s.

That’s basically what I tried to test on the video, besides just having a great time with both synths. Test differs sonically from what was technically expected. Both synths sound great, though.
TJT
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

These look basically just like calibration differences to me. The Korg seems to be calibrated better in a few examples. I assume there's no trim pots in the 2600, but you could open it up and check.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, like I said, from a historically-technically point of view, there was a lot in common. Rev 2 on the Odyssey should be close to the early model filter on the 2600 and Rev 3 should be close to the filters in the orange/black 2600’s.

That’s basically what I tried to test on the video, besides just having a great time with both synths. Test differs sonically from what was technically expected. Both synths sound great, though.
Is a damn shame behringer didn't go full rogue (and annoy some people even more ) and insert the 12dB and drive onto the 2600 so we can have badass rez , I do love me a 12dB then again this is not a complaint, the GM is a wonderful piece and for me it's the perfect size
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT ➡️
These look basically just like calibration differences to me. The Korg seems to be calibrated better in a few examples. I assume there's no trim pots in the 2600, but you could open it up and check.
Fortunately, the B2600 the front pannel of the B2600 is full of trim pots behind little rubber caps. :-)

Like described on the video page, I didn’t look for exact matching sounds, but to answer the question: how close/different do both synths sound if the controls are set to the same position? There is no doubt someone could get more similar results with a little more time and carefully matching the controls.

On some cases, like you said, calibration could be the answer for the different sounding synths. I’m thinking now of the minimal pulse width. On some synths, the minimal pulse width goes to zero and the sound just disappears. That doesn’t mean the synth is faulty: the minimal pulse width was programmed/calibrated this way.

On the other case, the differences in filter sound and envelope response are simply real: more filters on the Odyssey (including 12 db/oct and drive) vs three time ranges for each B2600 envelope. Those are different hardware designs. You get different sounds despite calibration.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Is a damn shame behringer didn't go full rogue (and annoy some people even more ) and insert the 12dB and drive onto the 2600 so we can have badass rez , I do love me a 12dB then again this is not a complaint, the GM is a wonderful piece and for me it's the perfect size
Behringer just released a RD-808 MKII with “improved” sound. So maybe an “enhanced” or expanded B2600 is not completely out of question.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Behringer just released a RD-808 MKII with “improved” sound. So maybe an “enhanced” or expanded B2600 is not completely out of question.
i can assure you that the sound is "enhanced", at least imo of using it side by side against my beloved mk1 RZ for 7 mths

if they did a 2600 with a 12dB rev added or even other crazy things that would be cool beyond belief - only behringer would do something like that, i offer my sincere doubts (because they have an insane roadmap) but how cool could that concept be?

add 3 inches to the top and fill it with craziness i wonder what people would want, yeah i know before i get jumped on we can do this by adding a line or 2 of euro which is all i did anyway - just chatting nonsense
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i can assure you that the sound is "enhanced", at least imo of using it side by side against my beloved mk1 RZ for 7 mths

if they did a 2600 with a 12dB rev added or even other crazy things that would be cool beyond belief - only behringer would do something like that, i offer my sincere doubts (because they have an insane roadmap) but how cool could that concept be?

add 3 inches to the top and fill it with craziness i wonder what people would want, yeah i know before i get jumped on we can do this by adding a line or 2 of euro which is all i did anyway - just chatting nonsense
I’m really happy to hear that the RD808 MKII is enhanced. That means that Behringer is able to accept criticism about its own products and take care of problems regarding analog design. That should benefit everyone in the long run.
📝 Reply