The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide Eclipse Question
Old 3rd February 2014

🎧 5 years
Eventide Eclipse Question

Hello Slutz ,

my question is about the best way of connecting it with my daw Ableton Live 9 .

digital or analog ?

my problem is that im using ADAT of my RME 400 with Ferrofish 16 mkII for the 8 in / outs and the only way to go is the analog one but is it right ?? lot of conversions .... any opinion ?

also in order to be synced with Abletons midi clock what do i have to do i can not understand . ok i can use midi in for ext sync but then in Ableton as audio effect how can i enable the syncing ??

I am in a total mess here ,,,

HELP ME please ... !!!
Old 3rd February 2014

🎧 5 years
?
Old 3rd February 2014
I'm an Ableton user and also have a Fireface 400 and Eclipse. Running coaxial SPDIF and syncing Live's master clock with MIDI cables using the external effect "plug-in". Works great. I haven't tried using the ADAT and the SPDIF at the same time. I'm not sure if it's possible. The A/D-D/A converters in the Eclipse sound very good so I wouldn't worry about too much about the conversion. Either way I haven't encountered any noticeable latency running a 64 to 128 sample buffer.
Old 3rd February 2014

🎧 5 years
I cant sync it with live . what are your settings my friend because im one step before throwing it from the window !!!!
Old 3rd February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Ok. Let me get this straight. What are you trying to sync -- the digital signal or MIDI? MIDI sync is easy: just plug a MIDI cable from your MIDI interface into the Eclipse and send MIDI Clock from Ableton to the corresponding port on your interface. The Eclipse may need to be set to sync to external MIDI clock. For your digital signals, you'll need to set one device as master, the others as slaves, and may need to use word clock.
Old 3rd February 2014
See page 15 of the Eclipse user manual for syncing tempo with MIDI clock. Make sure Ableton is sending a MIDI clock signal to the Eclipse. See page 24 of the Eclipse manual for digital audio sync setup.
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
first of all thank you for your help . im trying to sync midi . I have plugged the midi cable into the eclipse midi in and sending from the output midi port of ableton signal ( sync button on ) to the input midi of the eclipse . then im selecting from tap src Midiclock and thE CLOCK OF THE EVENTIDE stays the same . no reaction . I am changing the beat of ableton but it stays the same . I am opening an external audio effect selecting inputs outs of eclipse . analog connected . what am I doing wrong ?
Old 4th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themasterdragon ➑️
first of all thank you for your help . im trying to sync midi . I have plugged the midi cable into the eclipse midi in and sending from the output midi port of ableton signal ( sync button on ) to the input midi of the eclipse . then im selecting from tap src Midiclock and thE CLOCK OF THE EVENTIDE stays the same . no reaction . I am changing the beat of ableton but it stays the same . I am opening an external audio effect selecting inputs outs of eclipse . analog connected . what am I doing wrong ?
I really don't know. Is the MIDI port to which the Eclipse is connected set to SYNC in the Ableton Audio/MIDI preferences?
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
the other paradox is that the output level meter on eventide is very low and stucked about -18 db but ... on the mixer of rme everythings are ok . the levels are perfect . what the fack ? every time im switching on the machine something new is happening .
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
yeah sync is on , ableton sending ( I see the tap blinking ) but nothing !
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by themasterdragon ➑️
yeah sync is on , ableton sending ( I see the tap blinking ) but nothing !
I don't mean is Ableton set to send MIDI clock, but rather has that specific MIDI port been set to SYNC in the Ableton MIDI preferences dialog box?
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
the output of fireface midi port 1 is set to sync ( on )
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
That's weird. Ok. I will go turn on the Eclipse, fire up Ableton, and setup a quick session from scratch and see if I can determine what problem you might be having.
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
system is version 4.04 , modules version 4 , algs version 4 , presets 4 , fpga 1.1 , hardware version A

AM I UP TO DATE ?
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
THANK YOU , you are very kind .
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
That sounds like the latest version.

Anyway, I opened up a new Live session... set up a MIDI track to play an external synth... set the session tempo to 155 (a less common tempo so I would be sure to notice the change in an Eclipse preset that's commonly pre-programmed with 120BPM)... checked to see if MIDI Clock was being sent to that MIDI Port in Ableton's MIDI preferences (Output SYNC ON)... picked a program on the Eclipse... delay was out of sync... went to SETUP>TEMPO>TAP SRC and chose Source:MidiClock... and bingo, SYNC'd to 155BPM.
Old 4th February 2014
I am only seeing 4.01 system software on the Eventide website. Is this a brand new Eclipse with a unreleased system software?
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
I bought it new 2 weeks ago . It says 4.04 .
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
I am only seeing 4.01 system software on the Eventide website. Is this a brand new Eclipse with a unreleased system software?
Could be. Mine also displays Version 4.04 and I've only had it a short time.

In any case, we can't blame the SYNC problems on that because it works fine here.
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
the sync and the meter levels . they were working fine but now they are stucked at about -18 db which is not true , im seing the levels on rme mixer . bad day today .
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
masterdragon, are you getting a MIDI signal into the Eclipse -- that is, is the "BUSY" light just beneath the Tap button lighting up if you send MIDI to it? (If you have an SD card inserted, this won't display, so take it out first to test). The MIDI SYNC problem could be as simple as a bad MIDI cable/connection.
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
nothing and the cables are new and working , I had my poly evolver on and just took them out to test the eclipse . busy light off .
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
In Live, set up a MIDI track to output to the port your Eclipse is on, arm the track, and play a few MIDI notes on your controller. Does the BUSY led light up?
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
sorry for being late . nothing busy is off .
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
OK. Then it would seem your Eclipse is not getting a MIDI signal at all and that's why it won't sync. Before assuming the Eclipse is faulty, I would try a direct connection from any synth or controller with a MIDI Out to the MIDI In on the Eclipse. In other words, leave Ableton and your audio interface out of the equation entirely. If the BUSY led doesn't light up when you play a few notes then it could well be the MIDI In port on the Eclipse isn't functioning. That's highly unlikely, though! Eventide stuff is usually very well made. So try that, and see what happens.
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
its sending by that way , WHAT THE FAKK is going on ?
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
and sending midi bpm tempo !!!!! whats happening to live ???
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
it is working on live too now ! ITS HAUNTED !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Old 4th February 2014

🎧 5 years
πŸ“ Reply