Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this thing is bananas!

Korg MS-20 Kit Lets You Build A Full-Size Analog Monophonic Synth Classic
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wasn't expecting that!!!! Nice.

I don't need another mono, but I'm excited by this because it shows that Korg is REALLY paying attention to analog synth fans. I think it's safe to start dreaming of a Korg analog poly.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
ok just curious, which one of you runs synthopia?

because a lot of times I read something here then it ends up there...pretty sure GS is their main source for their rumors lol

even a direct quote from the roland thread one time.
Old 23rd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
ok just curious, which one of you runs synthopia?

because a lot of times I read something here then it ends up there...pretty sure GS is their main source for their rumors lol

even a direct quote from the roland thread one time.
it's you obviously, trying to blame someone else is just a distraction tactic.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Awesome, though doesn't appear to be the through-hole the other thread had claimed. (Costwise, I'd probably still go with the smaller version.)

GJ, Korg!

@Steveism: I'd blame JRRshop first :p
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

So this is a build it yourself reissue of the OG MS-20, not the newer Mini?

If so, very cool. Korg is by far cooler than the other major manufacturers these days.

I'm no electronics engineer but I can imagine people doing lots of things with the different parts that come in the kit. Maybe that is the idea? That filter, and it says bot rev1 and 2 available.

So full size, no mini keys? I wonder if the parts are of far superior quality to the MS-20mini?
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➑️
I wish haha, I love that site. It would be an accomplishment to claim ownership.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Want!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftree ➑️
I wasn't expecting that!!!! Nice.

I don't need another mono, but I'm excited by this because it shows that Korg is REALLY paying attention to analog synth fans. I think it's safe to start dreaming of a Korg analog poly.
I still think their next major step after putting out $150 3-oscillator models is to release a 6-osc model at the MicroKorg price point and general size/shape.

They've proven they can move tons of units as long as the price is right, so it's worth investing the resources in a project like that.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why would I get one of these when I can get the real deal original for less? Even then, it's way overpriced.

This must be a piss-take.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
between this and the new sub37, I think I'm going to have a heart attack....going full blown crack head I NEEEEEEEEEED
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cool!

Although I wish it were fully DIY so I could solder it up myself as well. That would be a fun project and would hopefully shave some off the price. I wouldn't get a reissue when it's pricier than the old ones.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly ➑️
Why would I get one of these when I can get the real deal original for less? Even then, it's way overpriced.

Some people are put off vintage synths because they can't/don't want to open them up and fix them every so often. Also, maybe there aren't enough still working to go around to satisfy everyone who wants them. Consider this just another batch, albeit a few years later!

I'm so impressed with the Korg attitude. I just looked at the operation manual where it shows the patch of how to make a Hammond. Of course, it sounds nothing like a Hammond. Roland would say, "We can sell you Hammond samples now". Korg say, "Sure it sounds nothing like a Hammond, but it's a cool instrument in its own right".

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly ➑️

Man, this forum will complain about anything. Roland could re-release the TR-808 to the original specs and someone would fine something to bitch about.
Old 23rd January 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The coolest thing about this is that it has both filters, new and old
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haha, awesome, an effin' kit!

This is basically an invitation for people to customize it and the case before assembly. I mean, a PWM mod couldn't get any simpler now. And wooden sides

Yea, Moog is going to present stiff competition at this price point. Otoh, those on the fence for size reasons will probably have an easier time commiting to the large format with, I imagine, better and more playable keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyforsluts ➑️
The coolest thing about this is that it has both filters, new and old
That's the bonus! They should have added PWM too.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Having both filters is uber cool. My wife just offered to buy it but I'm trying to resist the temptation to agree.

Someone mentioned a full-size ms-20 reissue the other day and was roundly mocked for the idea, so I am expecting to see some public hat-eating later on today...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➑️
Yet it's usually the wolf who calls wolf. Nice tactic, Login. I browse your site from time to time.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl ➑️
Someone mentioned a full-size ms-20 reissue the other day and was roundly mocked for the idea, so I am expecting to see some public hat-eating later on today...
Because they said it wasn't going to be SMT and with "full size circuit boards". If it was described with these details (SMT and same sized boards, but with a larger case), I'd have been more likely to see it as plausible.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OT, I wish I had the funds but even so, I think it's a bit too pricey. I would expect $1400 for a fully working re-issue, not the parts for a DIY.
$999 would have been more decent and attract more people.
I am not even sure this announcement is for real. Has anybody confirmed?

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
Yea, Moog is going to present stiff competition at this price point. Otoh, those on the fence for size reasons will probably have an easier time commiting to the large format with, I imagine, better and more playable keys.
This is also the model for people who like the idea of a new one but didn't like the wobbly knobs.

My guess is that for a lot of the people willing and able to pay for the upgrade over the Mini, the answer to MS-20 vs. Moog is "Why not both?"
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
These thing is going to be super cool to make mods, maybe even integrate other analog stuff into the circuits or the patchingl.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f ➑️
OT, I wish I had the funds but even so, I think it's a bit too pricey. I would expect $1400 for a fully working re-issue, not the parts for a DIY.
$999 would have been more decent and attract more people.
I am not even sure this announcement is for real. Has anybody confirmed?
JRR has it up on the website, so I doubt it's fake.

I don't think they could hit the $999 price point given their costs. Which is why they are trying to sell a mini as the main volume item -- they know that only so many people are going to be willing to pay for this.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't help thinking that

- the limited edition
- the price
- the 'nerdy' double filter

are chosen because the synth is a test-bed to see if it's possible to sell 'serious' analog at 'serious' synth prices instead of only producing new small and cheap synths, like the Mini, the Volcas and the Trons.

I hope it has good keys, if so, maybe it should have had a MIDI-out too!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
I hope it has good keys, if so, maybe it should have had a MIDI-out too!
Hey, simple solution. Modding the other recent Korg analogs for MIDI is already pretty popular, right?
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is cool, but $1400? That's twice what the MS20 Mini costs, and it doesn't even come assembled and tested. Full-sized keys don't cost that much (shouldn't add more than $100 to the price), so where are the other $600? Is the quality significantly better?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess ➑️
Hey, simple solution. Modding the other recent Korg analogs for MIDI is already pretty popular, right?
That sounds very likely, indeed! And it's probably not too expensive.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
This is cool, but $1400?..Is the quality significantly better?
No idea, but yea, I'd expect the knobs to be more solid too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess ➑️
This is also the model for people who like the idea of a new one but didn't like the wobbly knobs.
The photo looks like they're still PCB mounted pots that will poke through the panel rather than being fixed to it with nuts. The 1/4 inch sockets look like they have nuts though.
πŸ“ Reply