The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SKINNY PUPPY SOUNDS AND PRODUCTION !
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➡️
There's def a hi hat in there. Also, Tom Ellard had his hand in Assimilate as well.

Here is our cover:
This is as good as i could get after 4 months.
Nice cover, while not as complex as SP, it still sound cool. And the singer does a good job with it. I bet that must've been quite the challenge to make. It's always a challenge trying to recreate something one for one. I wonder if Tom actually knows how this song was constructed. Seems like Tom doesn't know what Cevin exactly did in this song. It seems as though Cevin recorded Tom and then put those recordings through effects and potentially layering them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 ➡️
It's layered. They used the DX7 at the beginning and end of Far Too Frail as well as The Centre Bullet.
Far Too Frail and Centre Bullet sound like they have a DX7 in them like you mentioned.

On Assimilate, it's not obvious that there is a DX7 patch layered with another patch. Why do you think there's a DX7 layered with another synth like the Pro One? The only thing I could like of is that the punchy noise of the that Assimilate bass could be a DX7 layered with another synth's bass. But the body of the bass sound, doesn't sound like a DX7 to me. Does it to you?
Old 5th October 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
does any follow cEvin on Patreon? maybe you could just ask him? has anyone even tried emailing him?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➡️
Nice cover, while not as complex as SP, it still sound cool. And the singer does a good job with it. I bet that must've been quite the challenge to make. It's always a challenge trying to recreate something one for one. I wonder if Tom actually knows how this song was constructed. Seems like Tom doesn't know what Cevin exactly did in this song. It seems as though Cevin recorded Tom and then put those recordings through effects and potentially layering them.
I left a bunch of stuff out as it wasn't really necessary.

I think Tom did the random samples that play over top of the snare. I know he did the R-23 mix. I really want to know what those pitched down groans are that are used throughout the song.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➡️
Far Too Frail and Centre Bullet sound like they have a DX7 in them like you mentioned.

On Assimilate, it's not obvious that there is a DX7 patch layered with another patch. Why do you think there's a DX7 layered with another synth like the Pro One? The only thing I could like of is that the punchy noise of the that Assimilate bass could be a DX7 layered with another synth's bass. But the body of the bass sound, doesn't sound like a DX7 to me. Does it to you?
If the DX was used, it probably mostly the string sounds that make up the main melodies. I used a lot of ESQ-1 and DX7 in mine.
Old 5th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's the B video.. starting at this time:
https://youtu.be/1jyZ-0nPw38?t=312

He plays around with a very similar bassline.. and tweaks. There's some times in there where he gets VERY close.
Old 11th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I left a bunch of stuff out as it wasn't really necessary.

I think Tom did the random samples that play over top of the snare. I know he did the R-23 mix. I really want to know what those pitched down groans are that are used throughout the song.
Those groans and drum snare layers seem to have effects applied heavily on them, so it is really hard to tell. Not even sure what effects were used, possibly a phaser on the snare layers. I'm not sure what kind of gear Tom had at the time, but I'm guessing the gear used was whatever they had access to at Mushroom Studios.
Old 11th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 ➡️
Here's the B video.. starting at this time:
https://youtu.be/1jyZ-0nPw38?t=312

He plays around with a very similar bassline.. and tweaks. There's some times in there where he gets VERY close.
Yeah I see what you're saying, it does sound more like Sequential than a Moog. I'm actually thinking it's just straight Pro One with a delay unit and no other synth layered on there.
Old 5th December 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Been enjoying Ken Marshall's channel, really digging his stoked attitude and enthusiam...I can imagine working with him would be a blast. Here he breaks down the creation of one of my fav SP tracks.

Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ken's channel is one of the few on YT that I immediately watch when a new video is posted. The dude just seems like he'd be a blast to hang out with.
Old 31st December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 16b5b42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent1 ➡️
He also said that the bells in Testure came from the ESQ, which is pretty obvious if you have ever played with one.
This is correct - my band used to cover Testure in 1989/90 and the Testure "Bells" are a stock patch from the ESQ-1. Can't remember the patch number.
Old 31st December 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 16b5b42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 ➡️
It's layered. They used the DX7 at the beginning and end of Far Too Frail as well as The Centre Bullet.
WOW - I never thought of Centre Bullet as a Skinny Puppy song.

"Center Bullet" to me was always a Tear Garden song which was a side project with Cevin Key and Edward Ka-Spell of the Legendary Pink Dots.

I just went and listened to the Puppy version. It's the same song without lyrics. Edward is singing in the Tear Garden version. I recommend everyone listen to that version of the song. The whole album is great. It's called "Tired Eyes Slowly Burning".

I worked at a large goth nightclub in 1987 called Rock Island in downtown Denver and Skinny Puppy played with Edward Ka-Spell and they played Center Bullet. Great show. I used to have the flyer - If I can find it I'll post it here.

And great guys as well. Dwayne Goettel (RIP) was very approachable. They all were.
Attached Thumbnails
SKINNY PUPPY SOUNDS AND PRODUCTION !-89160838_10157102448392616_2272045632388595712_n.jpg   SKINNY PUPPY SOUNDS AND PRODUCTION !-screen-shot-2020-12-31-9.38.38-am.jpg  
Old 9th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think Tom did the random samples that play over top of the snare.
Those are either gated noise and/or delay artifacts, not samples AFAIK. Ken Marshall has a video all about it.
📝 Reply