The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I get the Korg Kaossilator 1 or Kaossilator 2? Anyone try both?
Old 2nd December 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Should I get the Korg Kaossilator 1 or Kaossilator 2? Anyone try both?

I want a Kaossilator simply because it looks really fun to make loops and improvise layers over each other to make little songs, especially without the need to really know how to play an instrument (even though I do play guitar and have an Alesis Micron I can kind of play). I am not a musician -- I definitely don't perform live and I do write songs sometimes, but only for fun for myself when I am bored. This is a musical toy for me to get creative without too much effort thanks to a machine helping me hit notes that sound right. My question is really whether I should ask for Kaossilator 1 or Kaossilator 2 for Christmas.

On one hand, I know that the Kaossilator 2 seems to only allow up to 8 beats whereas the Kaossilator 1 allows 16. It seems the loops will be able to have more variety and feel more like real songs with the Kaossilator 1 compared to the 2. Do you find that it's a big problem when trying to craft a song?

On the other hand, I know the Kaossilator 1 doesn't have an SD card or mechanism to save recordings on a computer directly off the Kaossilator. I'd have to record everything with a line-in in real time. Will the Kaossilator 1 still be able to remember previous loops and jams and store them? Or do I need to start fresh everytime?

Any other points of comparison? I know Kaossilator 2 is more portable and lightweight, which seems like a plus. Kao1 seems to have a more solid build. Any other points of comparison would be great. Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've had both...go for the Kaossilator 2 although I do miss the longer loop times of the K1

-you can save loops; you can have 2 loops going at once (or back and forth with a crossfader)
-very nice little display, easy to change key/scale/save/load stuff, see what notes you are playing...
-Better sounds; the Kaoss 2 actually has (according to korg) a real synth engine for some synth sounds, the K1 was all samples
-Kaoss 2 has much, much, much better drums. I even sample them out to use in full songs.
-Built in mic and 1/8" input - you can actually sample real instruments and/or world around you, although it's not implemented super well

Even though it's somewhat a 'toy', the K2 has snuck into several songs i've worked on, from background SFX to drums to layered synth tones.
Old 2nd December 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I am really worried about the loop length though. Do beats in the Kaossilator 2 sound more repetitive than the Kaoss1? The sound bank sounds good to me based on what I've seen on YouTube so I am not really worried either way. But I would still to like to have my question answered about whether you can save loops and go back into them on the Koassilator 1?

Again, it should be noted I only intend to use this for the looping and making of beats/songs directly on the kaossilator. I will not be using pieces of it for other compositions.
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have an ios device check out
ikaossilator
Old 2nd December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➑️
If you have an ios device check out
ikaossilator
I don't and that's not what I want. Can someone please answer the questions?
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's too bad because it is what you want. It has the same / better sounds, better looping, more loops, better recording options and audio export. You can also save loops and mix between loops from different songs in a way that's similar to abletons clip grid.

You can not really save loops and go back to them on the kaossilators. They are called KAOSsilators for a reason.

I have every kaoss product ever and would recommend the kaossilator 2 for you because the sounds are much better. Things don't get repetitive unless you let them. The loops are 8 beats but you get 2 of them which makes for better live jamming. You can use both loops together or back and forth so in a way you still have 16 beats.
Old 2nd December 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If price isn't part of the factor, definitely go for the K2. I use it even more than I used my Kaossilator Pro, and it pretty much shows up in every song I make these days. As far as usability goes, it's definitely more advanced than K1.
πŸ“ Reply