The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
something to compliment my Boomstar 4075
Old 1st December 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
something to compliment my Boomstar 4075

I love the boomstar for its weirdness and tone, the filter is really syrupy sweet. The sync is just incredible when combined with the distortion, i find i use the boomstar a lot for weird sounding sync-y stuff

I have to admit i find it difficult to get a straight forward sound out of it - but thats ok.

So im looking at another analog mono something to compliment it, just for more straight forward bass sounds, leads too maybe

The subphatty seems to get a lot of praise and i do like the moog sound. Then i saw the SEM Pro mentioned as well, i havent heard much sounds from that one?

what do you think, should i be trying more with the Boomstar instead?
Old 1st December 2013

🎧 5 years
I can compliment your 4075 straight away: it's a really great sounding synth.

Joking aside, Little Phatty with CV outs would complement this synth very well with its more modern sound and you could use it to control the 4075 too.
Old 1st December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy ➡️
I love the boomstar for its weirdness and tone, the filter is really syrupy sweet. The sync is just incredible when combined with the distortion, i find i use the boomstar a lot for weird sounding sync-y stuff

I have to admit i find it difficult to get a straight forward sound out of it - but thats ok.

Definitely -- you have an instrument designed to make quintessential bass sounds

Turn off sync, turn down the distortion, don't let the filter envelope get in the way of the amp envelope, etc
Old 1st December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️
Definitely -- you have an instrument designed to make quintessential bass sounds

Turn off sync, turn down the distortion, don't let the filter envelope get in the way of the amp envelope, etc
+1 on this. The 4075 is very capable at bass sounds.

The Elektron Analog Four is a great piece to pair with a Boomstar because of it's 4 CV outs that can be sequencer controlled.
Old 1st December 2013

🎧 5 years
Quote:

So im looking at another analog mono something to compliment it, just for more straight forward bass sounds, leads too maybe

The subphatty seems to get a lot of praise and i do like the moog sound. Then i saw the SEM Pro mentioned as well, i havent heard much sounds from that one?

What about the Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S? Future Retro XS? Though the SubPhatty seems to be the go-to for options/$.

Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I love the boomstar for its weirdness and tone...

I have to admit i find it difficult to get a straight forward sound out of it So im looking at another analog mono .. for more straight forward bass sounds, leads too maybe

Old 2nd December 2013

🎧 5 years
With the boomstar, the mixer knobs are at zero in the 12 o clock position. As you turn it past the mid point, it starts overdriving the VCA, even with the overdrive switch turned off.

So try it with both the vcos set at 12 or just below, turn up the output to compensate and you'll get a much softer sound. Turn off all the fancy features, tune the second vco to a fifth and dial in a tiny bit of random pitch modulation and listen to the smoothness.

EDIT: You can't get simple bass sounds out of it? Its definitely perfect for that. You're probably turning too many knobs. Try only using the sine and triangle on osc1, osc2 turned off, no sync, no xmod, no resonance. Then build from there.

For the sake of your bank account, don't buy another mono. Learn to use the tools you have before you acquire more, or you'll never know anything.
Old 2nd December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieCache ➡️
With the boomstar, the mixer knobs are at zero in the 12 o clock position. As you turn it past the mid point, it starts overdriving the VCA, even with the overdrive switch turned off.

So try it with both the vcos set at 12 or just below, turn up the output to compensate and you'll get a much softer sound. Turn off all the fancy features, tune the second vco to a fifth and dial in a tiny bit of random pitch modulation and listen to the smoothness.

EDIT: You can't get simple bass sounds out of it? Its definitely perfect for that. You're probably turning too many knobs. Try only using the sine and triangle on osc1, osc2 turned off, no sync, no xmod, no resonance. Then build from there.

For the sake of your bank account, don't buy another mono. Learn to use the tools you have before you acquire more, or you'll never know anything.
thanks for this man - nice tip on the mixer settings, most of the time i had those at 3 o clock if not higher
i think i kinda got swamped with the amount of options on this thing and im definitely not a programming expert!
Old 3rd December 2013

🎧 5 years
As a rule, whenever you use it, start with everything turned off and gradually build up a sound, rather than diving into a sea of conflicting features. By turning them on gradually, one by one, you will learn how they interact with and affect each other. Then you'll be an expert

Another thing to remember, a lot of the time you only need the first, say, 20% of a knob's range, the rest of it is just there "so you can, when you want to." A good example is the xmod, from 0-30% it gives pleasing bell/metallic FM sounds. For the rest of its range it makes hellish klanging screaming noises. So make small movements and find all the possibilities in the 20% range, dont just whack the thing up to full and sit wondering why your synth suddenly sounds like a dying robot.
📝 Reply