The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Prophet 12 vs Prophet 08 + Nord Lead 2x
Old 6th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➡️
So if you put an analog filter on a Virus, we would call it a hybrid?
If Access put a real analogue filter in a virus then yes it would be a hybrid.

Quote:
Why is VA a bad word? Why does that somehow degrade the P12?
I did not say it was a bad word. It's just the wrong word to describe the P12.

Quote:
SHARC DSP WAVEFORMS!
Yes, it has digital oscillators.

Quote:
My Evolver has DCO's and DigiOSC's, an anlog LPF and digital HPF......THAT is a hybrid.
Yes,
so is a DW8000,
so is a PPG,
so is a P12.

They all combine analogue and digital components in the signal chain.
I agree that the Evolver is the most hybrid but it's not the only one.

Quote:
So if I buy the Moogerfooger with the VCF, the 101 I think, and I run a soft synth through it, is that a hybrid?

No, it would be a software VA, going through a Moogerfooger filter. A softVAfooger
I don't know of any VA with a real analogue filter.

I don't think VA is bad, but the whole point of a VA is that it emulating something. Some of the VA softsynths are amazing and damn near impossible to tell apart from the real thing.

The P12 isn't emulating anything, it goes in a new direction and does it's own thing.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➡️
If Access put a real analogue filter in a virus then yes it would be a hybrid.

I did not say it was a bad word. It's just the wrong word to describe the P12.

Yes, it has digital oscillators.

Yes,
so is a DW8000,
so is a PPG,
so is a P12.

They all combine analogue and digital components in the signal chain.
I agree that the Evolver is the most hybrid but it's not the only one.

I don't know of any VA with a real analogue filter.

I don't think VA is bad, but the whole point of a VA is that it emulating something. Some of the VA softsynths are amazing and damn near impossible to tell apart from the real thing.

The P12 isn't emulating anything, it goes in a new direction and does it's own thing.
Agree.

Waldorf Q+ has analog filters.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
IMO all DSI synths lack a bit of character, being analog, hybrid, digital there is a bit of blandness there. Same goes for Andromeda.
It does not exclude them for being usefull in many respects.
Experimenting with DSI synths can be rewarding and some interesting stuff is result. Take Tempest as great example, it is also 6 voice synth, really good one by DSI standards.
I have P08 and not use it a lot (there are few self made presets I like a lot, so that's only reason not to sell it).
P12 didn't click with me, it is versatile due to its strong digital processing and really reminds like step toward Bowen's Solaris, although costlier Solaris is again lot of more synths, when talking digital.
To my ears Virus definitely do better analogue emulations than P12 and between two I would not think for a second to opt for Virus (not comparing all features, but particular VA aspect).
Given core DSI strengths are less in analogue sounds, to me Tempest and Evolver family are DSIs best offers, although P08 can be good option for modest budget analogue.
For slightly over 3k, finding used P08, PE-Rack and V-Synth would be worth hunting for killer set covering lot of grounds for experiment oriented synth player.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
IMO all DSI synths lack a bit of character, being analog, hybrid, digital there is a bit of blandness there. Same goes for Andromeda.
It does not exclude them for being usefull in many respects.
Experimenting with DSI synths can be rewarding and some interesting stuff is result. Take Tempest as great example, it is also 6 voice synth, really good one by DSI standards.
I have P08 and not use it a lot (there are few self made presets I like a lot, so that's only reason not to sell it).
P12 didn't click with me, it is versatile due to its strong digital processing and really reminds like step toward Bowen's Solaris, although costlier Solaris is again lot of more synths, when talking digital.
To my ears Virus definitely do better analogue emulations than P12 and between two I would not think for a second to opt for Virus (not comparing all features, but particular VA aspect).
Given core DSI strengths are less in analogue sounds, to me Tempest and Evolver family are DSIs best offers, although P08 can be good option for modest budget analogue.
For slightly over 3k, finding used P08, PE-Rack and V-Synth would be worth hunting for killer set covering lot of grounds for experiment oriented synth player.
Yes DSI stuff are work horses and the best deals in the market. But they are a little vanilla. They sound so good in a mix, however.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@GYang
V-Synth, really??
Before I got it I never understood why there were so little about this over the web.
Got a GT about 3 years ago and this year I finally got rid of it for a good amount of money.
It's raw sounds are simply ridiculous and the sample handling isn't exactly perfect.
Not a good synth at all.......

And the topic still running with people defending and attacking the P12.
Why not just discussing about it's pros and cons, suggesting something else to replace the Nord, etc.
I'm not in this forum for a long time, but this is the most prolific topic I've ever participated.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I recently tried out the P12 at a store. You can add me to the long list of people who didn't like some of the demos but really clicked with it in person. The interface is great and it doesn't sound like anything else. You can program it to sound way more organic than a Nord or Virus, and it's very rewarding to play. It doesn't even sound like other digi-analog hybrid synths I've played, or DCO analogs either. It's just its own thing, and not like anything else that's out there. BTW many presets lean toward the crunchier, hence the demos- but actually it can sound very smooth-hot with a bit of tweaking.
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I own both, and I think the Virus sounds smoother than the P12. I said this before, but I feel the P12 sounds dry. Therefore it compliments the Virus's smooth wetness(when it wants to be). The Virus can get dry too!
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think nord or access are going to bring out something with analog filters ..
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Virus comparisons are both a curse and a blessing. Yes, if you have/like the Virus but occasionally wish it had more 'analogue mojo' then the P12 is for you. It'll do a mean supersaw and those fantastically warm swells. Unlike the Virus, though, it can get pretty ugly quickly if you dial in too much of everything. The Evolver suffered with the same thing, and only in the last few years are people realising what a great synth that was once it was tamed.

Personally, I've owned a NL2X and a few Virus TI's. The Prophet 12 is analogue where it needs to be, and digital where it can make a difference. Run a Prophet 12 through a judicious amount of a nice reverb, or layer it up with some Omnisphere sounds in a mix, and the pedigree shines through.
Old 7th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr73645 ➡️
@GYang
V-Synth, really??
Before I got it I never understood why there were so little about this over the web.
Got a GT about 3 years ago and this year I finally got rid of it for a good amount of money.
It's raw sounds are simply ridiculous and the sample handling isn't exactly perfect.
Not a good synth at all.......

And the topic still running with people defending and attacking the P12.
Why not just discussing about it's pros and cons, suggesting something else to replace the Nord, etc.
I'm not in this forum for a long time, but this is the most prolific topic I've ever participated.
the thing about v-synth is it covers ground the per and p08 does not (drums, for starters )

a v-synth xt, per, p08r is a tight little rack setup

here is a snippet of why i like the per https://gearspace.com/board/9654475-post3.html

what is missing from there, believe it or not, is the limitation of only four voices!!!! notice how there is no overlap in the release portion of chords (that's because the voices get sucked up by each new triad).

i am looking fwd to the p12 because there is a definite gap in my setup. i have a 6 voice synth, and 2x 4 voice synths. as soon as i heard the first demo sound i knew it would fit my audio style. same thing w/the fr 777, i didn't buy the 777 when it first came out and then spent the next 4 years after it went out of production trying to hunt one down. the p08 didn't grab my stones the same way.

(i use the per in tracks for odd fx primarily)

i am really looking fwd to unison splits or two channel multi-timburality, i hope that is possible w/the p12 (i'll be getting a rack ver).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
How about Tempest & Nord Lead combo ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➡️
i am looking fwd to the p12 because there is a definite gap in my setup.
That gap in your studio is how you end up with 50 synths sitting around collecting dust. The only gap is in our heads to be really honest.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone ➡️
That gap in your studio is how you end up with 50 synths sitting around collecting dust. The only gap is in our heads to be really honest.
While there is truth there (in terms of needing gear), the biggest truth is the largest gap is with the this 'crufty' fellow

My home hobby setup is pretty tight...i really do have a gap that I could address differently, true. However. What fun is that ? I plan on ditching an mks7 to make room for a p12r. It has no patch memory, and while 4 channels (4 voices, 2 voices, 1 voice, 707 drums) because of ableton Sysex limitations I can't change presets.
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➡️
Personally, I've owned a NL2X and a few Virus TI's. The Prophet 12 is analogue where it needs to be, and digital where it can make a difference. Run a Prophet 12 through a judicious amount of a nice reverb, or layer it up with some Omnisphere sounds in a mix, and the pedigree shines through.
That's why I layer the Virus + P12 together. The P12 gives me an analog top punch. Then the Virus fills it in. They sound really good together. I do too think Omnisphere sounds good with the P12. I think of it as: P12(organic), Virus(fantasy/dream land), and Omnisphere layers good with both. For my style of music, the P12 and Virus really complete me for synthesis. I can't see myself getting a Nord, because I feel it doesn't have any character. I can use Omnisphere for what I would want from a Nord Lead. On a side note: most of my leads come from dual Slim Phatties!
Old 7th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone ➡️
I agree on this too. I know I'll stick with what I have and be more than happy! I feel all my gaps are filled. I can't see how, or why people stack a bunch of modern synths in one room. When most of them sound the same, and do the same things. Vintage analog is a different story though, haha... I feel like most modern digital synths don't offer anything different from each other. I would say that Virus and the P12 definitely have their own character, that stands out from the rest.
Old 8th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by divine source ➡️
How about Tempest & Nord Lead combo ?
I use this combo amongst other things (voyager,JX3P, alpha Juno) and it all works great but still I wouldn't compare it to P12 which is really it's own unique hybrid beast.. Hard to compare it to strictly VA or modern analog...
Old 27th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny_Laserdisc ➡️
So I just got back from playing around on the P12, and I left feeling quite disappointed, although I really wanted to like it. I thought the layout was great and very intuitive after owning a Tempest, but the sound wasn’t instantly to my liking. It just all felt really cold and metallic from the start and the filters were kind of average compared to my Voyager. I spent about 3 hours on the machine, creating my own patches and scrolling through most of the presets but nothing really stuck (considering the price). Who knows, maybe it’s a grower?… I still don’t want to rule it out.

I think i may go back again in a couple of days to try out the NL2x and NL4... Sadly I didn't see a P08.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but how did you go did you get a p12 or p8...??
Old 19th February 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I am a bit late to this party but wanted to share some recent experiences.

1. Prophet 12. I was 100% ready to buy a used module from a friend after reading about the flexibility and range here on this site and after some demos. Then I had the chance to play one side by side with a Prophet 08. Here are my thoughts.

First I think the P12 sound has more in common with VA synths like the Nord, Virus and Blofeld than it does with the P08. At least to my ears. There are elements of the sound of the Prophets but overall I found the P12 to be bright and often thin sounding. Even tweaking some sounds I found it was not as inspiring as I had hoped it would be.

Second we had a P08 module for a while which I just didn't connect to at the time. So we sold it on. But the P08 today really stood strong next to the P12 in warmth and natural quality. While I know it is more limited for programming, it is certainly stronger in overall personality. So we are planning to bring a used one home and see how it goes a second time around. Now we are doing more with other electronic genres, so it may explain why we like the sound more now. Before we were blending it with acoustic instruments and found it hard to sit into the mix.

Third. I am a Nord fan. I own a Nord Lead 4 which I love very much. To me it has a more creative appeal and wider character range than the P12 at 1/2 the price in Japan. The Nord can do everything we have tried with it and it is a pleasure to play. While the look and feel of the p12 is wonderful too, I did not have that instant desire to take it home as I did with our old Nord 2x and our Nord 4.

So my thoughts are this. If you have a recent Nord (2x, 4, A1) then you already have a very capable digital based synth that I think sounds more analog and much more warm than I found the P12 to be. At 1/2 the price (in Japan anyway) you could take home a Nord 4 and a Waldorf Pulse and have a great analog and digital range with less money. If you have a Virus and spend time programming it, I think it fills other areas that the P12 can do and the Nord may fall short of. Or even a Blofeld which can sound very warm with some attention to programming.

Overall I guess I just found the P12 to be bright overall, not as warm, far more dynamic in many ways than the p08, but not enough to warrant the cost for the keyboard.

I would still like to add a module to our studio in the future if a good used once comes across our path. But I would definitely NOT by the keyboard for the JPY400,000 ($3700) price tag. There was nowhere near enough wow factor for such a hight price.

So we are buying a used, near mint condition P08 for a good low price. And I cannot recommend the Nord 4 enough. Marry it to a Strymon Big Sky and a TC Electronics Chorus and Delay and it can do just about anything you an imagine. And it is very light to carry around on Tokyo trains on the way to gigs.
Old 19th February 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
One more note. My first synth was a SCI Prelude. I have dreamed every since of owning a SCI synth. So we may wait to see what the P6 looks like this summer. But I was told today to expect an upper 370,000 to 400,000 yen price tag which puts it at the same level of the P12. So it may have to wait a year or so for prices to drop off a little before we can consider it. Still I am so excited that it will exist in the world even if we cannot have one in the studio for a while.
Old 19th February 2015
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All three are very good, but I do not consider the Nord Lead being in the same category with the DSI synths, because it is fully digital, and has much more limited modulation options. However, it can sound very analog, and good. I happen to have recorded something with all three, using similar fx, so you can compare. I apologize that not all of these clips have quantized audio. I recorded half of them, while testing the sounds without paying too much attention in playing.

IMO, the Prophet 08 of these is the best, if you like 80's analog sound. For big pads and scifi, Prophet 12 shines and has huge character. I consider it being the most inspiring synth that I have ever owned. The Nord lead is built like a tank (amazing!), looks cool and sounds great too, I think one of the best VA synths out there, very simple, but effective.

Prophet 12
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-prophet12-demo2014
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-prophet-12-canada
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-p12-belt-driven-strings

Prophet 08
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/dsi-prophet08-demo2
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-p08-ctr-textures
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/f5d-prophet08-edm

Nord Rack 2x
https://soundcloud.com/f5d/clavia-no...-2x-quick-demo

Last edited by F5D; 19th February 2015 at 08:56 PM..
📝 Reply