The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The 'Official" PPG / Waveterm Thread...
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 'Official" PPG / Waveterm Thread...

So recently started discovering the joys of the PPG sound, please ise this thread to post great examples of classic PPG songs / examples / info...etc

Some bits of PPG in this ...one of my fave tracks at the moment...

Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tangerine Dream got some of Wolfgang's first machines, and the 'Exit' album is covered in all the well known pre-sets. I remember being knocked out by the textures on this.

One day I'll have one. Other than that the plug in is pretty good. You need to understand it using another tiny GUI, but it eventually offers up everything you need. But sometimes I think I would be happy with just a computer and a PPG - and often add up what I would need to let go!
Old 3rd November 2013
Deleted User
Wolfgang Duren - Eyeless Dreams LP, quite rare to find, never pressed on CD. Wolfgang was TD's roadie and programmer from 1978-1980.

This album is all PPG Wave Equipment.

Old 3rd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice one Ged,

& Syn 303, I love that Wolfgang Duren album,
thanks for posting it.

I hadn't heard him before & to my tastes it is much more interesting than his contemporaries , except for maybe Rubycon & Force Majure,.
well it is more interesting perhaps musically but I love the albums mentioned above .( not that Ive listened to them for a long while)

Thats a great showcase for the PPG systems.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These productions sound so nasty, the music is veiled in this feverish digital sheen.

This is the type sound that made me very weary of 80ies digital pop productions.

Not trolling here, just an honest word of reason, it really doesn't sound very good guys
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I respect your opinion and can't comment on how those tracks were produced but I have enough classic analogs to keep me busy for years and I think the PPG sounds fxxking fantastic
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Weren't Propaganda the poster children for the PPG? Can't post Youtube clip for some reason....
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Early albums by Robert Schroeder are almost 100% PPG.

This is from 1984
Old 4th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Search YouTube for 80s live clips from Robert Palmer, the Fixx and Tears for Fears
Old 4th November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey, it's what came to mind...

Old 4th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️
These productions sound so nasty, the music is veiled in this feverish digital sheen.

This is the type sound that made me very weary of 80ies digital pop productions.

Not trolling here, just an honest word of reason, it really doesn't sound very good guys
You have a point, but only to the extent that like every decade sounds are used - then abused. There were a lot of albums with a lot of nasty 8 and 12 bit sample sources mixed badly on small format tape, or early digital multitrack and SOME do sound bad.

But you cant write it all off as being all bad as some objective fact.
How do you think the era of 'loud music' is going to sound in the future - people are already sick of it.

Anyhow someone mentioned Propaganda. 'A Secret Wish' is THE essential 80's album for the high point in production. The PPG is all over it, as well as everything else!

Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

And I hate to post anything from Gary Numan's tragic decline, but...

Old 5th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Never heard of this guy before, but it's a great album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➑️
Wolfgang Duren - Eyeless Dreams LP, quite rare to find, never pressed on CD. Wolfgang was TD's roadie and programmer from 1978-1980.

This album is all PPG Wave Equipment.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➑️

Crucify him!

Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dunno which examples does George refer to, but talking about digital sheen would be absurd for Tangerine Dream's "Exit"..

its 95% analog instruments & outboard, recorded to tape, mixed on analog console. PPG Wave2 and Wave360 do some lead lines, and Synclavier I does some fx and metal scraping in the last track. Lexicon here n there. rest is space echo, akg springs and EMT plate.

@Groundbass: you beat me to the punch - its one of my favorite albums bar none. i just picked up the very version of PPG used there (wave2), after many years of dreaming about it. and yes some of the exit presets are still there..

loved Propagandas first album back then, her strange voice and what Trevor Horn did there with production, and all those ppgs 2.2/2.3, fairlights, jupiter and prophet5 iirc.. nowadays i re-visit it from time to time. too intense. it was groundbreaking then that's for sure.

also, still love Saga's album "Worlds Apart" (1981) to this day... lot of multimoog bass, mini, polymoog and CS80 for pads/strings. PPG Wave2. perfect combination.

Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agreed. It just doesn't get much better than Trevor Horn's productions during his golden period, if you ask me... top musicians, top songs, top arrangements, top recording. Speaking of Propaganda, I think "Duel" is a masterpiece, one of my favorite songs ever since I heard it the first time when it came out..

And of course... THE TWINS rocked the PPG heh

Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my Wave 2 and 2.3. Would'nt swap them for anything.
People bashing the PPG Waves, never tried one. Analog purists gives me ear fatigue

Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was born in 80 gonna have to check these artists mentioned. I only have an xt but love the ppg sounds

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
dunno which examples does George refer to, but talking about digital sheen would be absurd for Tangerine Dream's "Exit"....
Ok, you got me, I didn't listen to the Tangerine Dream track because I know them well enough, but I listened to the OPs System video and the Wolfgang Duren one, and they have this skull-splitting digital feel. Hence it's a bit of a mystery to me why these machines are considered highly valueable, except when I consider sentimental motivations, and that's fine of course.
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Memory records had one in 84-87
here are some tracks PPG wave influenced that sound a lot

-------------------------------------------------------------

beside memory records .. I believe most of big italo disco records were made also with PPG ...IT was part of sound !!

Attached Thumbnails
The 'Official" PPG / Waveterm Thread...-1391447_10151894877597221_82679389_n.jpg  
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One thing to bare in mind is that with some sonic overlap, and the fashion for stacking it is sometimes difficult to tease apart what is what.

The DX7 can do a good 'PPG' - I have a couple of pre-sets - one called 'hyperbor' which outdoes anything from the waldorf plug in for shear 'klang'. Obvious wavetable sweeps give it away, and that vocalish sound that T.D were fond of, but its not always easy to separate what is what on 80's records. In fact you don't get close to some of those sounds until you start to layer, certainly the big Trevor Horn stuff.

In fact interestingly by 1988 the Keyfax series that reviewed keyboards, No 3 I think, gave the PPG and Waveterm 2/5 stars, since the reviewer by then saw it as dated and entirely replaceable with cheaper samplers or...a D50....!

No misty eyes back then for backbreaking systems!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Difool ➑️
I love my Wave 2 and 2.3. Would'nt swap them for anything.
People bashing the PPG Waves, never tried one. Analog purists gives me ear fatigue :

Finally something else then farty old hippies torturing the poor ppg
But are you sure front 242 used ppg?
They were heavily into ms20 and Emu Emulators, but that they used ppg is new for me. The mc 4 is just as beautifull a machine as the waves btw.
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love my Wave 2.2. One of the most distinctive synths I have.

Here is a little test I did when I first got it:

I also made a little free sample pack for Kontakt and EXS24 using it. Here is a demo of what that pack can do:

You can get the free pack here: freestuff

- Hugo
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie ➑️
I love my Wave 2.2. One of the most distinctive synths I have.

Here is a little test I did when I first got it:

I also made a little free sample pack for Kontakt and EXS24 using it. Here is a demo of what that pack can do:

You can get the free pack here: freestuff

- Hugo
Any chance you'll release a full sample pack of the PPG like you did with the MS20, Juno 6 etc?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing ➑️
Finally something else then farty old hippies torturing the poor ppg
But are you sure front 242 used ppg?
They were heavily into ms20 and Emu Emulators, but that they used ppg is new for me. The mc 4 is just as beautifull a machine as the waves btw.
Front 242 did use a PPG wave on Geography at least. It's listed
among the synths used on that record.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrious ➑️
Any chance you'll release a full sample pack of the PPG like you did with the MS20, Juno 6 etc?
I'm actually working on a new synth pack now. It will include the PPG Wave 2.2!

- Hugo
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 ➑️
Front 242 did use a PPG wave on Geography at least. It's listed
among the synths used on that record.
Do you have a link?
I've seen a lot of 242, but never a ppg around them.
Old 6th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensing ➑️
Do you have a link?
I've seen a lot of 242, but never a ppg around them.
The first sound in Controversy Between is preset no. 95 from Wave 2. And a great sounding one it is! Once in a while give my neighbours a good shake with it. Sounds amazing live in your living room. Controversy Between is full of Wave 2 sounds.

There is several 242 vids on the tube where you can see them with the Wave 2

at 26:53

Old 6th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator ➑️
The 80ies!

Now I know where Dave Guetta got his dance-moves
πŸ“ Reply