The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 08 vs Prophet 12? No Discussion?
Old 5th October 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Honestly, running the P12 through Valhalla Room 'taj' preset, screwing with the drive and filter env amount whilst simultaneously playing an arpeggio in Omnisphere.... is the reason I haven't logged onto gearslutz for the last few hours....

It's a really nice sound in amongst all that.
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone ➑️
Honestly, running the P12 through Valhalla Room 'taj' preset, screwing with the drive and filter env amount whilst simultaneously playing an arpeggio in Omnisphere.... is the reason I haven't logged onto gearslutz for the last few hours....

It's a really nice sound in amongst all that.
You should hear it layered with smooth Virus pads, and arpeggios...
Old 6th October 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I guess it would be fair to say that, although with restraint you can do smooth and brassy, it tends toward the atonal and brash. I keep thinking of Autechre's 'oversteps' when I play. No bad thing, and there's a certain magic to the sound that's unmistakably analogue (the VCA works wonders there) but anyone expecting a P08 is in for a shock.

Far better to compare to the PEK than the 08, IMO.
Old 7th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'll try to ask this more succinctly: aside from the DCO vs. sampled oscillator waveforms, is the P12 a superset of the P08? Could you replace a P08 with a P12 and not really feel as if you've lost anything, other than the sequencer (which I never use)?
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
bump

I also would like to know if you could replace a P08 with a P12 and not really feel as if you've lost anything
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights ➑️
NEGATIVE!!!

Please don't try to convince yourself, or anyone else that the Prophet 12 sounds like a high end vst. That is so false. No vst can come close to this sound.
yes and the P12 doesn't come close the cat either. its all relative
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise ➑️
bump

I also would like to know if you could replace a P08 with a P12 and not really feel as if you've lost anything
no synths really replace other entirely. u will always loose something you like about the p08 that the p12 can't quite replicate.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
bump I also would like to know if you could replace a P08 with a P12 and not really feel as if you've lost anything
i would feel i'd lost something cuz i own a mopho/tetra and like their plainness... it fits in well with the jams i have/tunes i play.

BUT i've have played the P12 a bunch of times and thought "it sounds like a P08 for 2014"... like an 80's synth for a 70's synth... so if i was wanting a more modern sound i'd consider replacing.

really, if you want a shinier-sounding P08 you'll like it.

i don't really find any of the DSI synths sound that different from each other. The Evolver series to the P12 all have similar sound... it's like Moog/Oberheim; they either got the sound you like or they don't; it hasn't really changed that much (which might be a good thing!)
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I mean...
I know each synth it's unique but if you would have to choose only one.

I like the warm sound of the 08, is the 12 capable of that too?
I'm close to order one of those and I need to decide between 8 and 12

no stores here in Argentina to give a try
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I mean...
I know each synth it's unique but if you would have to choose only one.

I like the warm sound of the 08, is the 12 capable of that too?
Yes.

I have both and I don't think there's much the P08 can do that the P12 can't.
I haven't extensively compared them but when I tried to recreate one patch (Wagnerian, a warm brass patch) I could match the character of the sound pretty much exactly.

There might be things you can't match exactly but there won't be much difference.

OTOH The P12 can also do a lot more.

FYI I'm actually contemplating selling my P08.
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I would love the p12 but 3k is just ridiculous..

The 08 is a little less ridiculous but still pricey, do you guys feel they are worth the money?

Anybody know of any places in social that have either of em on display to test?

Also what effects under 500 do u recommend?
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If you look online, you can get the p12 for less than that. I paid full price and I think it's worth it. It rests under a quilted cover at night, and plugs into a UA Apollo during the day.

Musical instruments, my friend... if the price of admission is too high, there are plenty other ones you should consider. Sometimes you gotta save a while, pack lunches a while... and then it's worth it.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
this video sold me on the P12,

i've been thinking about adding a dp4 and a strymon big sky and timeline for fx.

Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Practice
Old 1st August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN ➑️

i've been thinking about adding a dp4 and a strymon big sky and timeline for fx.

Great choice, you'll be happy with that effects chain.

I started out running my P12 into a Big Sky into an Eventide Space. Now, I have a dedicated Eclipse unit for the Prophet.
Old 1st August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN ➑️
this video sold me on the P12,

Very nice. Warm, lush, Phat, Nice effects, lots of motion, good melody, analog sounding, a new modern synth and the first A6 contender. Wish I had the money. Now all you need is a Pro2 for the ultimate DSI synth rig.
Old 2nd August 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
i got a prophet 08 coming in the 8th! my girlfriend surprised me..

i have never dealt with a poly synth.

i have an mx200 with horrible knobs and sp 808 for fx i could use in the meantime while i look for other options.
πŸ“ Reply