The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Have Supernova 2, skint, do I need a Tetra?
Old 6th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Have Supernova 2, skint, do I need a Tetra?

Hi All,

I'm waiting on my tax rebate.. should be enough for a Tetra.. but..

I have a Supernova 2 Rack, it's been with me since 2000, and god has it served me well. I use it and a MK1 Machinedrum for all my music. One synth, one drum machine - that's it.. and I'm doin ok things with them, and I've learned them thoroughly..

Now I'm just A/B-ing the Supernova and the Tetra on youtube, and I'm not sure I'd benefit from the Tetra.. yes it's amazing, and it's real analogue.. but I'm getting some really fat sounds outta the Supernova, and it can sound amazing with a little Elevayta Wider Boy thrown over it after the fact..

Thing is, I rarely use the full eight parts on the Supernova, so it would really not be essential to have one, and I'm on the breadline.. but I have this rebate burning a hole in my pocket lol..

If anyone has both these beauties, or has experience with both, could they chip in.. do I really need another synth, or am I being flippant?

Cheers in advance..
Old 19th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I got one - sooo glad I did :D

I wanted something that'd produce the kinda sounds heard in Daft Punk's Derezzed - I suspect that was done on all those Moog Voyagers they have, but this thing comes very close
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Nice, sounds like a touch of analog would fit in your setup nicely

whats a breadline?
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokama ➑️
I got one - sooo glad I did :D

I wanted something that'd produce the kinda sounds heard in Daft Punk's Derezzed - I suspect that was done on all those Moog Voyagers they have, but this thing comes very close
Nice! Do you have clips of the Tetra doing that. I was on the fence about getting a Tetra for a while, but after a while I got turned off by the DCOs and not having the ability to detune them. I thought it might sound stale because of that, but Derezzed has a pretty lively sound to it.
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice2.0 ➑️
Nice! Do you have clips of the Tetra doing that. I was on the fence about getting a Tetra for a while, but after a while I got turned off by the DCOs and not having the ability to detune them. I thought it might sound stale because of that, but Derezzed has a pretty lively sound to it.
You can detune the Tetra's oscillators in one-cent intervals; see the "Fine Freq." parameter on p. 17 of the Operation Manual.

I can't compare it with the Novation, but I bought a Tetra this fall and the sound has really grown on me. The only thing not to love is the interface. My advice would be to watch a bunch of Mopho/Tetra/Prophet videos and see if you like the DSI sound. If you do, you might also look at the Mopho x4. Unlike the Tetra, it's not multitimbral, but it has a better interface.
Old 19th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So far, I'm still playing, but I can get a Derezzed lead kinda with just one program so far - the best bit is each program has two independent layers, that can be sequenced separately, and all synth parameters are independent on each layer - basically 8 sounds for the price of four. Dunno how this works in multitimbral mode yet, but there's always combi mode, then record the loops into your daw and chop away.. that's how I work anyways.

Big help with that Derezzed lead sound is the feedback loop in the oscillator section, that can be dialed in to get some seriously minted overdrive mess.. if you're turned off by DCOs, this may restore your faith a bit, very 3d and you can get a really nice sound outta it. I was surprised how gritty and organic my first patch sounded with a bit of feedback, and osc slop at 4, and then a bit of manual detuning +/- 8 cents works best to my ear.

All in all, I'm glad I chose this over my other option, a Slim Phatty, coz I think pushed it could get quite close to a Moog, and you get sooo much more bang for the buck than a Moog (I actually think Moogs sound nice, but are a bit overrated, but I haven't got up close and personal with one yet, so that may change)..

Breadline - British term for being on the lowest income bracket, coz all you can afford to eat is bread..

Last edited by nokama; 19th April 2013 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 21st April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I stand corrected, only one layer of each program can be assigned to a voice in combo mode - thought that may be too good to be true lol.. still a great synth, although not as versatile as the Supernova, sounds slightly better though..
Old 25th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice2.0 ➑️

That's the first of my experiments, tetra for all synths, and Machinedrum for all drums.. it's a good start I think :D
πŸ“ Reply