The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim Matrix 1000 firmware hacks
Old 15th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gligli ➑️
Hello,
My M1000 is back to working state, I should be able to look at these issues soon!
Great news!
Old 16th October 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Agreed, Great that you got your Matrix back up and running GliGli....

I tried looking at the differences between the two eprom images 113 and your 124 firmware and I'm afraid it was beyond me....
Old 8th November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
reubenfinger, tux99>
If you hold enter while booting the synth, does the flickering stop?
Old 9th November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi, I finally got some time to finish my implementation of unison detune.

It's working quite nicely, the only thing that could be better is its resolution, ie there's not many steps between "no detune" and "sounding out of tune", but I can't do much about it as it's mostly a hardware limitation.

Right now unison detune is controlled by a MIDI CC (#94).

I attached 2 demos where I add more and more detune on chords and on an unison lead.
Attached Files

m1k_udet_chords.mp3 (1.03 MB, 2171 views)

m1k_udet_unison.mp3 (270.2 KB, 1915 views)

Old 9th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is freaking awesome!
Old 9th November 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello GliGli, firstly excellent work on the detune implementation, the Matrix, she is becoming a weapon.....

As an update to the flickering problem:

When enter is pushed on startup the display reads 124, the flickering stops, and it appears to go through the "test" tuning function (no.7 of ext. funtions menu). Then once finished, the clicking noise resumes, and it again begins to flicker between the patch number and 124 on the display. Where upon playing some keys, some notes are triggered, some appear to be ignored and don't sound. Pressing enter again activates the "tuning" routine, pressing the "+" sign sends it into turbo, where all midi notes are responded to.

I hope that helps you makes sense of the problem....Thankyou agin for all your help
Old 10th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It's working quite nicely, the only thing that could be better is its resolution, ie there's not many steps between "no detune" and "sounding out of tune", but I can't do much about it as it's mostly a hardware limitation.

Right now unison detune is controlled by a MIDI CC (#94).

I attached 2 demos where I add more and more detune on chords and on an unison lead.
wow this is awesome! i had a matrix 6 for awhile but i sold it, might have to get back in the game.
Old 12th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
M1000 blackface user here.
Wow, I'm amazed by the skills of those of you who with all these hacks turn the M1000 into a killer machine. Thanx for letting the rest of us non-technical peeps know about your progress...

A question: would it be possible to use gligli's latest version of the firmware without having to install all that new hardware? The possibility to be able to use unison detune is sooo tempting... Any ideas?
Old 18th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Teus ➑️
A question: would it be possible to use gligli's latest version of the firmware without having to install all that new hardware? The possibility to be able to use unison detune is sooo tempting... Any ideas?
I agree it would be fantastic if the unison detune could be applied to the 111/113/114 firmware series too (for all those who don't want to mess with the hardware of their Matrix 1000).

BTW, gligli, do you have a link to your new firmware with the unison detune?

I have been busy writing my M1000 patch editor recently so I don't want to mess with the innards of my Matrix 1000 right now, I'm always afraid that I could break something while extracting or inserting a chip into its socket.
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well, I'm really wondering if I should continue with the CPU upgrade, maybe I should focus on making a ROM only upgrade, turbo mode will be lost but most of the rest could be kept, including part of the MIDI responsiveness tweaks.
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Don't drop the CPU upgrade please, if at all possible!
Old 22nd November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
Don't drop the CPU upgrade please, if at all possible!
I second that, please don't drop the cpu upgrade, but I can perfectly understand that there are many people who shy away from hardware mods that require soldering, so it would be very useful for them if any firmware improvements that don't depend on the cpu upgrade could also be applied to the standard firmware.
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The thing is, the CPU upgrade only works on my own m1k for now, probably has a design flaw that untergeekDE found, and really only brings turbo mode and MIDI scan rate improvements...

Anyway, I'm currently working on a 11x ROM that will have all the rest of the changes. When that works fine on other m1k, maybe I'll work on the CPU upgrade again I think.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The thing is, the CPU upgrade only works on my own m1k for now
Sadly that is true although I don't understand why as M1000s seem to be built all the same. To the best of my knowledge there are no different hardware revisions.

Quote:
really only brings turbo mode and MIDI scan rate improvements...
The most important improvement I would hope a cpu upgrade would bring is faster processing of mod matrix parameter changes, as that's the only delay I notice when playing around with real time changes on the M1000.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm currently working on a 11x ROM that will have all the rest of the changes.
Sounds great!
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Faster processing of mod matrix parameter changes will already be in the ROM only version, I have yet to test it on real hardware, but on my emulator I get something quite smooth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Faster processing of mod matrix parameter changes will already be in the ROM only version, I have yet to test it on real hardware, but on my emulator I get something quite smooth.
That sounds fantastic!
Old 24th November 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, I'm really wondering if I should continue with the CPU upgrade, maybe I should focus on making a ROM only upgrade, turbo mode will be lost but most of the rest could be kept, including part of the MIDI responsiveness tweaks.
Quote:
The thing is, the CPU upgrade only works on my own m1k for now, probably has a design flaw that untergeekDE found, and really only brings turbo mode and MIDI scan rate improvements...

Anyway, I'm currently working on a 11x ROM that will have all the rest of the changes. When that works fine on other m1k, maybe I'll work on the CPU upgrade again I think.

Hi Gligli , awesome work will your mod be compatible with the Matrix-6 ?
that synth so deserves live tweakability , is a full upgrade similar to the one you did for the Prophet 6000 possible for the Matrix-6 ?
Old 26th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi,
My ROM only upgrade seems to work fine on my own hardware, here's a blog post about it:
My Synthesizer stuff: Matrix 1000 ROM only upgrade v116

Bboy235> I guess a ROM only upgrade may be doable, If someone with a Matrix 6 and an EPROM burner wants to do the "human tester", I may be able to build a ROM file
Old 26th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi,
My ROM only upgrade seems to work fine on my own hardware, here's a blog post about it:
My Synthesizer stuff: Matrix 1000 ROM only upgrade v116
Awesome, I'm powering up my eprom burner as we speak...
Old 26th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
First impression after a few minutes of playing with the new 1.16 ROM is: WOW!

The lag when changing modulation parameters is so minimal I had to really concentrate on detecting it, this is a huuuge improvement compared to the standard ROM!

From what I can tell now there it's just a slight lag of maybe 100-200ms (but the M1000 is still fully responsive to further key presses) while before the M1000 would hang for a second or more (especially when going into negative values of mod parameter changes).

And I haven't even tested unison detune yet...
Old 26th November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hehe cool!
Basically the mod matrix update happens only when there's no parameter change within 100ms, so yeah that's a 100ms lag. The original firmware did the update for each change, even if it was the same value as before!
Old 26th November 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Matrix-6 user here ... wondering if there's any gliglimmer of hope that the 6/6r rom could get a small dusting.
Old 27th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 ➑️
And I haven't even tested unison detune yet...
Now I have done some tests of unison detune too, again WOW, putting it on something like 32 changes the humble M1000 into an angry OB8! heh
(ok comparing it to an OB8 is slightly exaggerated but unison detune really adds some nice character and body to the sound of the M1000).

I fear second-hand prices of the M1000 will go through the roof once news of this fantastic firmware mod spreads...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Tux99, have you installed new hardware in your m1k?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Teus ➑️
Tux99, have you installed new hardware in your m1k?
Not currently, I did experiment with the cpu upgrade from gligli a while ago but currently my M1000 is back to standard with its original cpu and quartz.

The only mod it currently has is the 1.16 firmware just released by gligli.
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ gligli : first of all many thanks for the great mods you did so far, I'm very happy with them.

That said, in case you feel tempted to do some further coding, here are a couple of suggestions of what I would personally find useful:

- implement split mode exactly as on the M6/M6R to make the M1000 100% compatible with the M6/M6R (maybe this could be done by copying code from the M6 ROM?)

- implement two CCs (like you did for unison detune) to allow us to change filter cutoff frequency and resonance. This would have two advantages: it would allow hardware controllers who cannot send sysex to control these two important parameters in realtime and it would reduce MIDI traffic (and therefore cpu load on the M1000) as a CC MIDI commands are a lot shorter than a sysex commands.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
- implement two CCs (like you did for unison detune) to allow us to change filter cutoff frequency and resonance. This would have two advantages: it would allow hardware controllers who cannot send sysex to control these two important parameters in realtime and it would reduce MIDI traffic (and therefore cpu load on the M1000) as a CC MIDI commands are a lot shorter than a sysex commands.
You can (and should!) use the Pedal & Lever CC's for that.
But of course more CC's would be better, and enabling this feature globally instead of as control routing would be sweet..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione ➑️
You can (and should!) use the Pedal & Lever CC's for that.
Yes but that requires editing the patch first to do the necessary assignments in the mod matrix.

Quote:
But of course more CC's would be better, and enabling this feature globally instead of as control routing would be sweet..
Exactly, with the CC's you would have instant realtime tweaking of the filter for every M1000 patch without having to edit the mod matrix and without having to use sysex.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Exactly, with the CC's you would have instant realtime tweaking of the filter for every M1000 patch without having to edit the mod matrix and without having to use sysex.
...and while we are at it, maybe the same treatment for envelopes?
Old 27th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here is a very simple demo of the unison detune, this is ROM patch '218' of the M1000 switched to 'unison' keyboard mode, the first part is with unison detune set to '0' (this is like the M1000 sounds by default), the second part is detune set to '32' and the third part is detune set to '64'. I'm simply pressing C3 and C4 alternately on a controller keyboard, this is not supposed to have any musical value.

Please excuse the crap recording with clippings, right now my M1000 is not connected to a proper mixer, this is simply line-out of the M1000 directly connected to the line-in of the on-board soundchip of my PC.

http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/files/m...32_64_demo.wav
πŸ“ Reply