Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why no talk of Analoge Systems modules?

Anyone using these modules?
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've heard very good things about their EMS filter module, their VCO module and their ADSR module. I don't have any of their stuff myself yet but I'm planning on buying some in the near future.

That EMS Filter they make is supposed to be as close as you can get without buying a real EMS. Analogue Systems licensed the design from EMS so it's as close as possible to the original.

Their stuff is more 'traditional' (can't think of a better word) than a lot of the new modular makers so maybe that's why there's not so much talk about their gear. It's obvious what all their modules do so people don't need to discuss it? But I've never heard anything but good things about the sound quality of their modules. Prices are a little bit more expensive than Doepfer but not that much.
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Probably more action over at Muff Wiggler.
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They're kind of like the beta of eurorack. In the beginning of the eurorack there was a connector and spacing war and Doepfer won.

When I had a lot of eurorack I had a few Asys modules and one of my cases was an Asys case (RS15). While the modules were well built and generally better laid out than the doepfer ones I hated the connectors and spacing wise you basically had to have a whole row of Asys as it was much harder to mix and match with standard euro. The case was much better built and had much more power than Doepfer but you only got 6 standard connectors or something inside.

Modules I liked when I owned them were the triple filter bank/resonator the RS290/295 digital delay, the comb filter and the synthi filter. The oscs are well regarded as is the frequency shifter but I never owned them.

Also for some stupid reason Big City Music, their distributor in the US, charges twice what everyone else in the world charges for their modules so that probably doesn't help either.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The spacing and power connector things are annoying.
Their modules don't look like much, but they are GREAT from a sound and functionality perspective.
The envelope is one of the best ADSR in Euroland and their Moog style filter is great too.
You could do a lot worse then having a case full of ASys stuff.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the modulation controller RS380. -it's a good VCLFO that goes into audio range, Noise gen, random generator, VCA, S/H circuit. I definitely plan to pick up the ADSR, which has voltage control and also loops! Also really really want the BBD delay module (RS440 I think); there's one demo from Big City Music that sounds absolutely great. I have a Monorocket case with ASys connectors and sliding nuts, so spacing issue is no problem and so far no problems with exploding modules (knock on wood)
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
Anyone using these modules?
Jonny Greenwood.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have some AS modules.
Their RS180 vca is one of 2 (Oakley is the other) that is discrete. It has a very nice over driven sound when pushed hard.
The RS90 and RS60 are great to.
Old 23rd February 2013
Deleted 8456dd3
I think the reason i dont have any AS modules *yet* is because of the problems integrating it into a Doepfer case, but i definately plan on getting both their EMS modules and the Comb filter at some stage, probably a couple of others.
Ive taken a couple of rails out and will put loose nuts inside the strips so should fit nicely.
Every demo ive heard of their stuff sound really good, its a shame that when both Doepfer and AS started they had compatability problems, because everyone followed the Doepfer route and that has to have hurt their sales.
If i had been Bob Williams i would have begrudgingly realised this and after selling all current stock changed the screw position holes and the power connector layout to be compatible with the Doepfer "standard"
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What problems did you have integrating ASys modules to a Doepfer case?
I had no probs on mine.
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have 18 of them. Nice modules and sufficiently different. Yes one does need a bit of strategy to have them in a case with Doepfer format but not that hard to solve.
Old 23rd February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 8456dd3
Well the usual ones i guess, you need to either make the holes bigger on the front panel of the AS modules to fit in the same way as Doepfer compatibles, or you have to remove the nut strips from the rack rails and put individual nuts in so you can put them exactly where you want them- its a bit of a hassles, but not a deal breaker as you say.
Second you need to buy special power cables, again hassles.
As i said all the AS demos ive heard sound great though and i certainly like to support UK business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
What problems did you have integrating ASys modules to a Doepfer case?
I had no probs on mine.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh, I also love this AS-based Putney clone made by someone at muffwiggler's, with custom pin matrix and everything:

Here's a link to the original thread:

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32943
Old 23rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents ➑️
Probably more action over at Muff Wiggler.
+1

this. there's generally not as much serious talk about modules here outside of the occasional mention.

and weird formats don't help either, but they have been around a while.

shadowfac, that putney clone is beautiful! wow.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In general there is not much talk of AS gear here.
As far as I know, I'm the only one here with a Telemark K, which astounds me.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They fit perfectly into the Doepfer cases but the screws placement is slightly different so they don't line up properly with most other Eurorack modules (sometimes it does work, other times you either leave a small space or get the drill out).
The power connector is also different but you can get an adaptor for this.

They are relatively cheap and have a big range of modules.
The sound quality is excellent.
Old 24th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
In general there is not much talk of AS gear here.
As far as I know, I'm the only one here with a Telemark K, which astounds me.
No no, Telemark = Analogue Solutions != Analogue Systems.
Very different companies.
On muff people use AS for Analogue Solutions and ASys for Analogue Systems.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➑️
No no, Telemark = Analogue Solutions != Analogue Systems.
Very different companies.
Whoops, thanks for the correction.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➑️
ASol and Asys are much less ambiguous.

I confuse them all the time.
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Analogue Systems demo

Here's a demo of some Analogue Systems modules.

Three VCO's, (RS-95); a multimode filter, (RS-110); 2 envelopes, (RS-60) & 2 VCA's, (RS-180).

Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto ➑️
Here's a demo of some Analogue Systems modules.

Three VCO's, (RS-95); a multimode filter, (RS-110); 2 envelopes, (RS-60) & 2 VCA's, (RS-180).

Nice and well done ! Thanks
πŸ“ Reply