Quantcast
A dj’s mid-career crisis and need your assistant - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A dj’s mid-career crisis and need your assistant
Old 21st February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A dj’s mid-career crisis and need your assistant

Hey folks, first time poster, long time reader.

I have been in the game for over 20 years djing- started off with hip hop but now full-on house. I’m an all across the spectrum house dj but I like my tracks and sets open and not too loopy and dark; not too soulful and not too trancy. And I love my vocals. I have lived in many continents and have been exposed to a lot of house. Im really attracted to house that moves you, grooves you, and uses instruments like guitar, piano, sax, etc.. disco, tribal, melodic tech and funk. Think stealth, ministry of sounds, defected, hed kandi records…

Here is the problem; I have this new fascination about making my own beats. I know the construction of a house track from start to finish. I have been doing blends and mashups since hip hop and now I create house blends/mashups for djs. But I want more. However, I am not musically inclined to create my own melodies and the music that I am passionate about and play. I am a beast at Acid pro for over 10 years. But I realize that its going to take a long time to master the art of mixdown, creating/edit patterns and loops- let alone learn a new DAW. What I have noticed time and time again in my area (Miami) is long time djs turned producers have been enlisting the aid of ghost producers. Many of these ghosts are young themselves and not well seasoned- what comes of the finished product? - just a few beatport releases of their version of “tech house”. Not the enriched groovy flavored tech house but the tech house that goes nowhere as a 7 minute loop with some vocal stabs. The type of tech that is played at 8am during afterhours at club space Miami. No real melody, not patterns of chords, strings, or instruments, no creativity; just a big loop with high hats. And most of the tracks sound similar for easy mixing transitions.

Me, I have more to offer than djing. Im very social and innovative. I have a private library of interviews with both local & international guest djs that come down to Miami and ironically, I am better at video editing/production than I am at creating musical melodies cause the transition to Sony Vegas from Acid is easy for me. In less than a year I have come up with some brilliant ideas and editing creations but with music production, I have a bunch unfinished tracks. I make video reviews of clubs/djs that I film before and in the club while commenting. I also record djs sets for other djs. This has helped at landing residencies/guest spots and being friendly with most of the dj/promoter community in Miami. Keep in mind; filming and video editing is just as creative and lengthy to me as music production. But I feel limited because I don’t and can’t produce- at the age of 35; having been a dj so long. With all this “you need to produce” talk is making me feel uncomfortable after all my interviews. All these djs I interview for the exception of some resident openers, produce as to why they are international guest/resident djs. But the question is: is it even worth investing the time to produce when I have related visual/audio media talents such as film production that the other dj/producers don’t have? Besides, not too many have taken it where I want to in terms of going behind the scenes with djs. Funny enough, many of friends as resident djs at these super clubs hardly even travel outside of the tri-county area- dave sol who doesn't even produce is the new resident at the new Story Miami, dj Mednas collabs a few and is a resident at LIV Miami never travels- his contract even prevents him from guesting at local clubs for fear of competition... These are 2 of the more popular dance clubs on the east coast. (that's my inside edition scoop for you)

So, It’s time for me to take on reality and push my talents to new heights because Im moving to Washington DC and will have new grounds to cover. I have already set up interviews and relations with some of the resident djs there because we have mutual dj/producer friends here in miami. Since being from NY/NJ, I can also cover that area as well. They will be my ticket to guest spots and hopefully land a residency after paying my dues. My goal is to play and review clubs and my dj/produce friends up and down the east coast. Not into traveling outside the country so much with my young girl.

So I need to make a decision out of 2 choices.

1) It’s either put more effort into producing and enlisting musical talents to create my melodies which will make my clubbing filming/interviews take a back seat.

2) Push the filming/interviews by creating a website and YouTube channel since I am better at it while limiting music creation to only blends/mashups for my sets and other djs. Furthermore, with my music editing skills, it makes syncing video/music a breeze.

I think by reading you can tell I already have a partial answer. I am not the type to ask people to make decisions for me. However, perspectives help me arrange my angles so I can see things clearer in the event I missed something. Please do not suggest both because I can’t do both- video/music. Both are time consuming because I have a full time job with a family. I just need your thoughts to make an informed decision for myself.

thanks
Old 21st February 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But the question is it even worth investing it the time to produce when I have club/dj related talents that the other dj/producers don’t have?
Yes, unfortunately (I am in Miami as well, originally from NY) promoters will ask you first and foremost "Do you have any original music?"

DJs with skills are not as important as they once were. I am sure one look at Mansion's DJ list should suffice as to why DJ talent is pointless if you want to take it to the next level.

So if you really want to put forth your musical ideas, you will have to learn or (like most popular producers do) pay ghost producers to keep a steady stream of tracks with your name on it on Beatport rotation to keep your name relevant.

But in the end if you enjoy filming more, then do that instead. Do what you enjoy doing most, because the truth is you will never work a day in your life if you enjoy your job.

BTW I am still not used to living on South Beach, I can't find good chinese food like in NYC for the life of me down here.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev ➡️
Yes, unfortunately (I am in Miami as well, originally from NY) promoters will ask you first and foremost "Do you have any original music?"
Sorry, thanks for the reply brother.

I fixed my statement. I meant I have other media skills like filming/video that other artists don't have or encorporate. I don't put myself above others.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev ➡️
BTW I am still not used to living on South Beach, I can't find good chinese food like in NYC for the life of me down here.
I will be at segafredo lincoln rd this saturday from 9pm-0200. I kept that residency since 2007 cause I get to play a wide range of deep/soul, groove tech and latin funk.. Its helps me stay in shape for my opening acts..

Drink on me brother...
📝 Reply