Quantcast
What song or moment got you into Electronic Music? - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What song or moment got you into Electronic Music?
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Back when I was a very white middle class b-boy from Dublin...

An a lot of the rest of the Electro Records stuff from this era.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I was always very fond of the synth pop I heard in the 80's as I was growing up. However, it wasn't until the early 1990's when I listened to Depeche Mode's Violator that I really wanted to learn how to play synthesizers. Specifically it was the hypnotic, bubbly, pingy bass line to "Blue dress" that mesmerized me. At that time, I actually thought someone recorded that by physically playing each note live. Years later, when I finally committed to learning to play, I of course discovered that there are sequencers and arpegiators that play these things for you. It took away some of the magic. I also learned that in an interview Alan Wilder never really liked that song.

Still, it has remained a staple in my synth appreciation and I will always have a warm feeling when I look back at how inspired I felt and how much I wanted to be a member of depeche mode.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was at the rendez vous show with my parents I was 3.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Old 2nd February 2013
Tuesday Knight
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost ➑️
Back when I was a very white middle class b-boy from Dublin...

An a lot of the rest of the Electro Records stuff from this era.
Those records were wicked!! Are wicked! I had white gloves to boogie with. Must go and youtube Shannon "Let the music play" now.....

EDIT: I just listened to that Shannon track and it was so good I cried a little bit........
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Those records were wicked!! Are wicked! I had white gloves to boogie with. Must go and youtube Shannon "Let the music play" now.....

EDIT: I just listened to that Shannon track and it was so good I cried a little bit........
Seriously man nostalgia HARDON!!! :P

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

One of THE most effective productions ever. Any category. Everything's a hook and nothing's too cheesy and when the chorus hits its shivers time. I just cried a little more....
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
This and all his production between 1978 and 1984:

I was hooked by those nasty, funky synth riffs
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwoneb ➑️
This and all his production between 1978 and 1984:

I was hooked by those nasty, funky synth riffs
Go on, stretch it to 1988....Lovesexy and all before still harboured nuggets of genius. Not so much since, sadly. Not sure I would have thought of him in the electronic sense primarily though.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Go on, stretch it to 1988....Lovesexy and all before still harboured nuggets of genius. Not so much since, sadly. Not sure I would have thought of him in the electronic sense primarily though.
Yeah, "Sign O The Times" and "Lovesexy" were pretty amazing too....

I know he's not a pure electronic musician, but god knows how he used to play those synths/drum machines in that era melting them with funky guitars and quirky vocals
Old 4th February 2013
tun
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another TD Virgin years convert here.

The year I left primary school Rush 'spirit of radio' was in the charts, it was cool to like Rush, but then my friend and I collected some hallucogenic mushrooms and his big brother lent us Force Majeure for the night. We listened to side 1 over and over that night, around '82 I think, I was 13...
Life changing experience to say the least.
After Force Majeure I heard Oxygene and Equinoxe and my mind was blown even further
I bought E2-E4 on InTeam the year it was first released, also Transfer Station Blue and loads of other records, saw Ashra play live in '85 in Sheffield at UK Elelectronica.
As Previously said... 'life changing'... and my decisions (good or bad) to spend money on gear have had a very significant impact on my life thus far... age 43 now!

The saddest thing... as I type.... another 'dubstep wobble' thread is immediately below this one, so sad.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If i have to trace back the roots of my love of electronic music there are a few pivotal moments. First album I ever brought was Boss Drum by The Shaman, which in retrospect is a pretty daft record, but obviously pointed me in the right direction. I remember my older brother laughing at me singing 'es are good, es are good' and not having a clue what it meant! Secondly, LTJ Bukem's essential mix in 96 blew my mind. I loved the sounds and other worldy textures of it. Finally Dave Clarke being resident dj at a local club work me up to the intensity of techno.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
seeing stuff like this on tv:
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Both of my Grandmothers had Hammond organs, one a B-3 (with Leslie) and the other an M3. I played them whenever I was there, so I guess that's when it all started.

My dad bought a stereo set-up in 1972 and got a few free LPs with it. One was Black Mass Lucifer. We didn't know much about it except that it was realized on the Moog.

But what really got me going were polyphonic synths - I just loved the sound.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

easy, although hard to pick one tune from joy division or new order

Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
my first real awareness of synths was in 1982 as a young kid - intro to save a prayer by duran (SH2/space echo) that was when my ears kind went 'ooh that's nice...' wasn't really into music before that, and didn't really know about synths till after that - too young, then went back heard 70s stuff, oxygene, ELO etc...
Deleted 38a4a95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➑️
easy, although hard to pick one tune from joy division or new order
Not hard at all, thanks for reminding me:
Nev
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was 14 going on 15 I think, I snuck into Sound Factory in NYC to hear Junior Vasquez spin and I heard this song:

The way the music moved everyone, I knew this was it for me.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure it was some stuff from the 80's. My sister was into Duran Duran and New Order so a lot of that music stuck with me. Depeche Mode "Enjoy the Silence," Soft Cell "Tainted Love," Bronski Beat "Smalltown Boy"

As for getting into house/techno and modern day stuff.......
TWILO - SASHA & JOHN DIGWEED

Last Friday of each month, I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Easy - Lords Of Acid.

Sent from my VS910 4G
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J ➑️
I can relate to the difficulty here. I would bet that for most of us there are several "phases" where your musical tastes veered off in a different direction or maybe changed completely. There are probably a select few songs that one can name that were directly responsible for the sudden change in tastes.

Still, in the name of brevity (and not boring everyone to death), it's easier to just try and narrow it down to a handful of your "most" influential or favorites.
You're right, that is easier. As for the taste veering off, i got Nirvana's "smells like teen spirit" to thank for that
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm frickin old...for me it was "Switched On Bach", Frank Zappa's tape manipulations and "Lucky Man".
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Tuesday Knight
Quote:

Can't believe I'd forgot about this one, need to go and see if I can get a copy on vinyl, could mix that with a lot of different stuff.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

skinny puppy.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Knight ➑️
Can't believe I'd forgot about this one, need to go and see if I can get a copy on vinyl, could mix that with a lot of different stuff.
It used to be mixed with every damn thing. Underground, aboveground, radio, club, wedding, school dance, house party, roller rink, BBQ, bass car, boom box... you were going to hear this song.

This was before the over-generefication of dance music and the microwave DJ phenomenon.
Old 5th February 2013
Tuesday Knight
Yeah, I remember it from when i was a kid. It could fit in my 80's section somewhere between girls on film and cruel summer, nothing like a bit of 80's vocal synth pop over grinding techno or grime.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think it was the electronic remixes on NIN's Further Down the Spiral. I know that's when I first heard Aphex Twin. The Charlie Clouser remixes blew my mind too.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegob ➑️
I think it was the electronic remixes on NIN's Further Down the Spiral. I know that's when I first heard Aphex Twin. The Charlie Clouser remixes blew my mind too.
love those aphex tracks!!
πŸ“ Reply