Quantcast
What song or moment got you into Electronic Music? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What song or moment got you into Electronic Music?
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️

i imagined they had to get a big scary robot with flashing red lights in the studio to record the lines, not knowing about anything like vocoders or talkboxes
I much prefer the idea of the scary robot doing it.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
And then the same robot busts out the insane congo solo in the middle?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Robert Rental & the Normal, Throbbing Gristle
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A few albums really that sort of came out around he same time: exit planet dust by the chemical brothers, and then I care because you do from aphex, and to be honest I was so naive I didn't even know music could sound like that. Akin to what the new wavers say about kraftwerk. It was literally incredible to me. Needless to say my head was really spinning when he started doing the crazier stuff on Richard d. James album.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
Throbbing Gristle
Coolest band name, quite a fan.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The opening seconds of Tangram
I bunked out of boarding school one night when I was 17 with a schoolfriend and his mate picked us up and we drove off into the night. I sat in the back between the speakers and this came on.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't say. I've been into it my whole life. I was a child of the 70's. A PBS show called Newton's Apple used Kraftwerk in the credits. I always loved that.

There was a song that was played on the late late show (creepy movies) that was crazy. It had a synth bassline that i can still hear in my head. it drives me crazy that i don't know what it is.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Been listening to more or less electronic music since 80s, Duran Duran, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Jan Hammer, Doldinger/Moroder (Neverending Story), Jarre to some extent, even Herbie Hancocks Rockit, but it wasn't until early 90s that I really got into electronic music when I got into clubs. Then it was U96, T99, Human Resource, some random german techno stuff, can't really remember all.

Robert Miles - Children (-95) was the final kick which made me get into music, buy a synth and start composing/producing.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've always been interested in electronic music. When I was only a few years old my influences would be that of my parents - namely enya, pet shop boys and queen. I remember loving records like rhythm is a dancer and what is love by haddaway at which age I must have been about 7 and later sash. I was absolutely captivated by those synth lines. I watched top of the pops from when I was probably only a few years old and always remember thinking how these sounds were made on what I would later find out were synthesizers. I always wanted one but never knew what I was looking for as normal keyboards didn't really do that. I took keyboard lessons but didn't like it at all as keyboards sounded like crap so I wasn't inspired. I also used to mess around with the record on the hi fi turntable to see what sounds I could make. I should have know how I would end up. Now i'm growing quite a nice synth collection.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️
Some good ones on this thread

For me it was this:

I was 3 or 4 when i heard this, - - - -
Haha, Rah Band! Of course! Their first LP, along with Jean-Michel Jarre and Kraftwerk (of course) planted something in my brain.
Though I remember that the first time I heard "Autobahn" (must have been 6 or 7) I was kind of deranged (btw. my parents still tell me how incredibly anxious I reacted to Gershon Kingsley's "Popcorn" when they played it on the radio. "Turn off the 'beep-beep'" I shouted and ran away )
Old 31st January 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There was an LP anthology of classical / experimental electronic music in our high school library that I listened to many times during free period. In college, the music department offered composition classes on a Moog System 50 or 55, can't remember which. We had Ampex recorders and a Klipsch Cornwall in each corner for room-shaking surround mixes. Five semesters working in that lab got me pretty hooked.

Peachh
Sky
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➡️
The opening seconds of Tangram
I bunked out of boarding school one night when I was 17 with a schoolfriend and his mate picked us up and we drove off into the night. I sat in the back between the speakers and this came on.
One of my fave TD albums.

I'm still not sure about the whistle fanfare when the first section transitions to the second though...
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New Order. Fact 81 Ep and Power Corruption and Lies.

Amazing even now....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Of course it was the huge filter sweep on Welcome to the Machine by Floyd, where it sweeps into that bandpass-old radio style production.
Also, Any Colour You Like with its ambient psychedelia.

Later on I heard All Gates Open by Can and I discovered that synths didn't have to sound like the horrible mid 80s chart toppers like Madonna, and Queen who got over their 'No synthesizers used in making this album' bias, to use some of the nicest analogue synths to make the worst sounds.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Old school video game music, Aphex Twin, The Prodigy, The Crystal Method, Daft Punk and of course, The Chemical Brothers. Sold my guitars and never looked back.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't remember what song specifically got me into electronic music, when I was a kid (born in 77) electronic sounds where already everywhere. I do remember that Duran Duran was my favorite band when I was about 10.

I do remember what got me into house music though! It was Joe Claussell's DJ set maybe 12-13 years ago. Before that I was mostly listening to jungle, breakbeat and hip hop.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond ➡️
Prodigy for me too. I was into some euro dance in the late 80's/early 90's but Prodigy experience was the first CD I bought.
Yeah, I could name loads of edm artists i grew up listening to... but really its Prodigy above anyone else.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➡️
One of my fave TD albums.

I'm still not sure about the whistle fanfare when the first section transitions to the second though...
Agreed! Flawed, but the opening sequence is a Gem
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Agreed! Flawed, but the opening sequence is a Gem
Yeah- I love the way it builds layers and tension- that whole section with the fanfare needs to be there to break it up and transition to the next section, but possibly just without that whistle sound.

There are a few amazing moments in Logos, too, with a similar style to the Tangram opening.

Asides from the Legend Sountrack (which introduced me to TD) and Optical Race being my first purchase (the start of their decline to me, though with some great tracks on it), Rubycon was my first 'proper' TD album.

The only electronic artists I knew before that were JMJ, Vangelis and Kraftwerk.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal ➡️
Yeah- I love the way it builds layers and tension- that whole section with the fanfare needs to be there to break it up and transition to the next section, but possibly just without that whistle sound.

There are a few amazing moments in Logos, too, with a similar style to the Tangram opening.

Asides from the Legend Sountrack (which introduced me to TD) and Optical Race being my first purchase (the start of their decline to me, though with some great tracks on it), Rubycon was my first 'proper' TD album.

The only electronic artists I knew before that were JMJ, Vangelis and Kraftwerk.
Agree with you.
Optical Race is where I stopped bothering.
For me, Rubycon is their masterpiece but everything up to Tangram is top notch, especially Phaedra onwards.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 New Order
Robert Palmer - Pride album
Chaka Khan - I feel for you album
Stevie Wonder - In Square Circle album
Steve Winwood - Talking back to the night album
Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The curiosity started with Metroid, Kraid's Lair; couple of years after I listened to "Sleaping Beast" by Skinny Puppy and that was it... But the true game changer for me was in 1996, when I heard "Out there Somewhere parts 1 & 2" by Orbital, that's what jump started me to writing and performing Electronic music.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Agree with you.
For me, Rubycon is their masterpiece but everything up to Tangram is top notch, especially Phaedra onwards.
Yep, it went downhill after Optical Race.
TD were also one of my first introductions to electronic music, and a deep influence on me.
And the first concert i went to in my life , was a TD concert ! My brain just melted after that.
( I have a special fondness for the last track in White Eagle. It's so melancholic it almost makes me cry )
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The earliest song I can remember that I really just loved the sound of was "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins. Maybe most people wouldn't consider that electronic music but I do. I believe the aesthetic of that tune has informed and influenced my choices in music more than I could measure.

It wasn't until much later that I was introduced to electronic dance music and really began to identify the sounds and production and engage in it creatively. Big moments of influence were (obviously) my first rave in late '94 and listening to and recording the house, drum and bass and experimental/ambient college radio shows from Toronto though the late 90's.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When I was in my early twenties, a guy I worked with asked me to put together a mix disc of some songs. Of course I had none of the songs he asked for, so I downloaded them. On that disc were artist like Dirty Vegas and Royksöpp to name a couple. Ever since me hearing Royksöpp, I've been hooked! By listening to them I branched off into other electronic artist, then I got into making electronic music!
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The cornerstone works of my addiction: Switched On Bach (first heard around 1972-73 on a reel-to-reel my dad dubbed from his record), Come Sail Away by Styx, Tom Sawyer by Rush, Numbers by Kraftwerk, Pictures at an Exhibition by Tomita, Oxygene by Jean Michele Jarre, and 1999 by Prince.

But Switched on Bach was definitely what created my love of electronic noises in the first place.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Agree with you.
yeah similar with me.. all the Virigin Years,,, tho i would include Exit right after Tangram too, as its one of my absolute favs. after that only tracks here n there like on hyperborea, logos or le parc... up to optical race, when i stopped.

in recent yrs, i re found joy in listening to their earlier krautrock like Atem, with organs, and long drums solos... or first track on Green Desert. some of the bootleg concerts improvisations from early 80s.. are real gems too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➡️
Yep, it went downhill after Optical Race.
TD were also one of my first introductions to electronic music, and a deep influence on me...I have a special fondness for the last track in White Eagle. It's so melancholic it almost makes me cry
me too, me too. each time i hear it, it brings almost painful nostalgia for that era.. its not just music, its something the way everything was back then.. the way i was.. hard to explain. a lot of that in some of their 80s pieces..
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes, I forgot about "Exit". GREAT atmosphere on that LP.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
Robert Rental & the Normal, Throbbing Gristle
Industrial sounds for Industrial people
Deleted 38a4a95
📝 Reply