Quantcast
What song or moment got you into Electronic Music? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What song or moment got you into Electronic Music?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My parents listened to electronic music so it's always been in my life. When did you first hear rock music would be a better question for me.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Miami Vice.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensa ➑️
Must have been either 'Oxygene' by Jean Michel Jarre or 'Trans Europe Express' by Kraftwerk in 1977. I was about 6 years old with an older brother feeding me records, and then he suddenly lost it all to Iron Maiden. :screwy:

Sent from my Nexus 7
I love Iron Maiden. Greatest metal band ever. Steve Harris is a mega talented songwriter.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
The Lowlife version of "Perfect Kiss" by New Order
New Order did it for me too, but in 87 with "True Faith". Those guys opened up a whole new world for me.

Sent from my SCH-I605
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
New Order - Blue Monday was probably the first electronic track i fell in love with though helping putting a sub in my older brothers car and listening to ministry of sound cds when we drove made me fall in love with electronic production and the sound of electro. Later my dad got me into vagelis and Jean Micheal Jarre, from there on ambient was what i love as well as psych stuff like floyd.

Now I love everything electronic cept gabba and euro trance hahah
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkervin ➑️
New Order did it for me too, but in 87 with "True Faith". Those guys opened up a whole new world for me.

Sent from my SCH-I605
Nice! For me it was a one-two punch. Prince's "Lets Pretend We're Married" (off "1999") made me aware of electronic music and synths and New Order's "True Faith" 12" hooked me.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Posed to Death by The Faint
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The first "electronic" song i ever heard (or knew about) was Eiffel 65's "I'm Blue". Ironically, it was also this song that might have been the catalyst for me getting into Electronic Music.

But i think it was when Deadmau5 was gaining popularity (and with him, the whole of EDM and the bedroom producer i guess) and, being the naive idiot i was, was of course drawn to that idea. "Hey...he did it with this DAW software, a laptop and some Dj controllers...i can to!" Little was i to know that statement to be utterly false in a way.

In any case, yeah thats about it...thankfully ive learned much of electronic music in it entirety and have found my genres. :D
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years

I was already interested, but probably when Billy Nasty played this as the last tune at the Sanctuary in bham, the 1st time I went to to a techno night, over a decade ago, I was tripping my balls off. I think that moment reprogrammed my brain, hearing that at about 30-40k while tripping, too much for a young fragile mind to handle.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
In my memory electronic music was already common when i was young, can't remember liking much else.
Don't you want me from the Human League and Cars from Gary Numan made a lasting impression, but there where many at that time.
Then my dad took me to a cartoon fair and for some reason Ad Visser gave a concert there.
I peeked inside and saw what looked like a wall of equipment that made very loud and low growls.

I was not very impressed with the music, but from then on i needed a fix.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The opening and ending tracks in Blade Runner, by Vangelis. It changed my life...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Windowlicker.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Easy:

Moby - Next is the E (I feel it)

Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oxygene and Scoundrel Days on tape while readin in bed at night as a kid was a start, sped with various pop, disco, new wave on the radio (Madonna, Kylie etc) but it wasnt until Aphex Twins ON video, and Bjorks Big Time Sensuality, that I understood that this was something completely new.
Those were mind-blowing.
And while lots of different music styles drew me in still, Orbitals In-Sides cemented the love for ever later on.
MusicFan
1975: Kraftwerk -"Autobahn" (rare full version)

Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find it amazing that anyone who lived in the 1980's or 1990's didn't hear any electronic music.
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
The opening and ending tracks in Blade Runner, by Vangelis. It changed my life...
I was completely mesmerized by Chariots of Fire and Theme from Anarctica.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnurp ➑️
Ill tell you guys I just heard Duran Duran "save a prayer" and it brought back memories of the 80's and that was the song that started my fascination with synths and electronica in general.
It's funny that you mention that. The first patch I ever programmed was my attempt at recreating the arp to "save a prayer". I used a Casio CZ-101, which was my first poly synth back in high school. The 8-stage envelopes allowed a perfect delay line.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Prodigy, 1994 at the Bug Jam festival in England. Extraordinary.
Old 31st January 2013
n.o
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This.

Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

I was 8 years old, I heard this song playing at a record store in a local mall. I ran to the counter and asked the clerk what it was. I didn't know my journey had just begun and my that life would never be the same again.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Back in 82 (I was 14) I heard Yazoo - "Don't Go" on the radio.
That tune, and those sounds, hit me like a hammer, and I bought the first record ever, the single, Don't Go/Winter Kills, the same day.

Since then Vince Clarke have always been my synth god.

I had listening to electronic music before that, Jean Michel Jarre (my second synth god) "Equinoxe", my very first record, that my mom bought me as a surprice, back in 78, after I heard a tune from the album on TV, and wrote it down on a piece of paper.

I also played piano and electric organs from I was 5-6 years old. But that doesn't count in my mind really.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I was a bit of a latecomer to it. I was only mildly interested in electronic stuff until a friend in college gave me a mixed cd of Assemblage 23 and VNV Nation songs. I was hooked, and then seeing Imperative Reaction open for VNV on tour REALLY sealed it.

And now Ted from Imperative Reaction is the producer for my album. How far things have come....
:-)
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkervin ➑️

Sent from my SCH-I605
yeah, I heard "Perfect Kiss" on an old MTV's 120 minutes comp called Never Mind the Mainstream. I was maybe in 5th grade at the time. My older brother then got SUBSTANCE and I was basically obsessed with New Order for a most of Jr high.. (True Faith being my fav) I listened to them so much that my brother bit one of my CD's because it was all I listened too (was sick of metal and punk that he was into).
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
yeah, I heard "Perfect Kiss" on an old MTV's 120 minutes comp called Never Mind the Mainstream. I was maybe in 5th grade at the time. My older brother then got SUBSTANCE and I was basically obsessed with New Order for a most of Jr high.. (True Faith being my fav) I listened to them so much that my brother bit one of my CD's because it was all I listened too (was sick of metal and punk).
I recorded 120 minutes on my VCR for years. Got lots of great stuff out of it. I was in 7th grade when Substance came out and was totally obsessed with it. One if the first CDs I owned.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Prodigy - The Experience. Once that bassline kicked in I was sold.

and this track (the first record I ever bought back in 1993)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.o ➑️
This.

and going to parties in the early 90s. but the 80s were rich with hip hop, electro and bass music that ignited lots of little flames

we'd here this stuff in 6th grade when we'd go rollerskating at the roller rink

and later

and all this early techno.. sub base etc.. then breaks etc..

lot's of things lit the spark to get into it

it's funny.. but a lot of the tracks on this mix below are on 5 or 6 other mix cds around that era.

anyway.. this kind of **** and all the things i posted before are what got me into it.

sorry for such a long post. .but it's fun to think about some times.. but nostalgia can be a dangerous thing too.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The Prodigy. What actually got me into music production was hearing Pendulum 'Masochist' & a bunch of Noisia tracks.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Now, if you asked what music initially inspired me
to start trying to figure out how to create electronic
music myself...

Orbital II, Plastikman Sheet One, Themes from Vapourspace
and a bunch of DJ cassettes duplicated from local parties,
like Terry Mullen and Hyperactive.
πŸ“ Reply