Quantcast
just to verify - all bus faders turned down, same as master down? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
just to verify - all bus faders turned down, same as master down?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
just to verify - all bus faders turned down, same as master down?

Assuming there is no clipping, etc, if all of your tracks are assigned to one of 4 stereo buses (Cubase) can you group and adjust those buses as one and not mess with anything, mix wise? Same as turning fader (with no inserts) up or down?

Thanks.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
sure... but isnt that question slightly odd for a pro?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

if you have send effects on the individual tracks then no, it's not the same unless you also turn down the sends faders as well

you would be able to do this if you had VCA groups like Pro Tools which turns the gain down on the tracks affection what's going out to the sends as well
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
if you have send effects on the individual tracks then no, it's not the same unless you also turn down the sends faders as well
This is only true if the Sends are Pre-Fader. If they are post (which is more typical) there is no problem, because the signal sent to the Return decreases as the fader decreases.

To OP, another question is: is there anything on your master channel? If yes, that could introduce differences in lowering the master fader vs. lowering all channels.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholloway ➑️
This is only true if the Sends are Pre-Fader. If they are post (which is more typical) there is no problem, because the signal sent to the Return decreases as the fader decreases.
yes you're right, but you still get a tail at the end though which can only be avoided by also turning down the sends or turning down the master

that's how Live works at least, I wish group effects could be set to post-fader because whenever I you something like a filter sweep with on a group you still get all the clean tracks going right to the sends
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hmmm....not sure how sends would matter

for instance lets say a snare track
- output assigned to drum bus
- 15db of SEND to reverb track, wchich then goes to FX bus

If you raise the drum bus and FX bus together 5 db, the ratio would be off??

What I am trying to do is find a way to send to my outboard compressor so i never have to adjust it and levels are recalled within DAW only. I have 4 stereo buses going out to D-box, summed, then to FATSO. FATSO is only adjusted by input, so to be able to control that with DAW only would be nice. DO not want to adjust the FATSO input from mix to mix. so, I want to group those 4 buses and turn them up or down in Cubase to feed the FATSO.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
yes you're right, but you still get a tail at the end though which can only be avoided by also turning down the sends or turning down the master

that's how Live works at least, I wish group effects could be set to post-fader because whenever I you something like a filter sweep with on a group you still get all the clean tracks going right to the sends
what do you mean "a tail?"
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee ➑️
what do you mean "a tail?"
reverb/delay tail
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i guess it depends on how much you turn it down...i am talking probably +/- 5DB max on any mix.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
why would his reverb tail change in relation to the rest of the mix if he is lowering the volume on his "stems"?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

well if you're automating the faders all the way down for some reason, you'll get a reverb/delay/whatever tail from the sends

if you're just turning down the faders for mixing then it doesn't matter
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I read his question as turning the 4 buses down after (post) all daw processing.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes. Four buses feeding outputs to dbox. All tracls including Fx are routed to these buses. The need to turn the buses up or down together is so vary input to a fatso. Buses are dry. Only waves api 2500 as insert on drum bus.
πŸ“ Reply