Audio-Term Software
Old 30th January 2013

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Audio-Term Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktomcat666 ➑️
Here's the link to the Audio-Term thread at kvr:

KVR: A small "Waveterm" for Terratec Komplexer (and other products)
Just tried it.

Stellar!!!!

Awesome work. I really like the retro interface and the features.

In fact i'll open a new thread on this, because it deserves it. For those who haven't seen this:

More: Transwave - Term - YouTube

Can be used for Ensoniq EPS, EPS-16+, ASR-10, TS-10 and TS-12 synthesizers for generating custom transwaves. Just export it to .efe and Audio-Term will do it all for you.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Looks like fun, can't wait to try it.
Old 31st January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlemeister ➑️
Looks like fun, can't wait to try it.
Agreed. Had been meaning to get Komplexer for so long, but never get around to it. This looks really good.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The demo video shows 'only' Transwave-Term. That was "only" a MSDOS/Hardware based predecessor of Audio-Term with limited features.

Audio-Term now is a Win application with much better sound and more features (for example, there's a section called SLOOP which works like the 'synthesize loop' function in older Ensoniq samplers, but more flexible).

And it's possible to write these Wavetables to disk (for use in VAZ Modular, Wusikstation, Reaktor... for wavescanning or older Ensoniq products as transwaves). So it may be interesting for more people than the small group of Terratec Komplexer owners. Further plans include support for Doepfer A112 and 2D wavetables (Piston Honda). May be I'll implement a special section for them in future.

The biggest drawback: There's still no manual (but I'm working on it).
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
One of those rare things that make me wish I had a PC!
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
One of those rare things that make me wish I had a PC!
Just tried it.
On Mac.

Seems like it runs perfectly on Virtual Box (Windows XP installed in my case) which is a free and in my opinion really great PC emulator that doesn't force the Mac to boot in Windows. It runs as a separate application. USB communication with the outer world works really well too.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

So, how can I save a wave-slice from this program? I generally struggle with exporting or saving things. Every time I press "save" it either says "no data" or "no file". So, how do I generate a file I can save? And how do I preview any audio inside the program?

I basically want to create some single-cycle waveforms for my Monomachine and some wavetables for my Blofeld.

Edit; found a post on KVR about how to save. Still looking for how to preview, though.

How to save a wavetable in WAV format step by step:

DISK -> F_TYPE

choose the desired file type, choose 3 for WAV.

SAVE<>

Give your wavetable a name, eight characters maximum. Press enter.

You need some experience to make decisions about the number of slices and the number of samples per slice, experiment with saving the same wavetable with different settings and try to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of various settings. I leave the "BITS" setting to it's default 16 bits as I can't get Vaz Modular to read the 32-bit ones though it can read other 32-bit wavetables just fine.

STORE

There, you should now find your creation in the "data" folder, in the subfolder named "03 KTERM - Wavetables (Audio, WAV)"
Old 23rd April 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sorry for diggin' out this old thread.... but since this is a special "Audio-Term" thread and the software is not that popular I don't want to open a new thread for my 'spam'.

I'm working on a successor for AT, which will be not an editor only but a true (software) instrument. The working title is - hold your breath - "Audio-Term II" ... but may be I'll find a more fancy name.

It's basically a small 2 OP FM synth with an additive carrier, which allows wavescanning/wavesequencing and simple resynthesis. Four of these FM lines run in parallel and can be individually and/or globally doubled. There's a complex anti - aliasing algorithm, which takes modulation index, FM ratio, carrier frequency and the shape of the scanned carrier waveform into account (making this work for up to 32 oscillators per voice with a reasonable amount of cpu load took some nights and nerves... ).

Since I'm new to C++ and VST programming, it will take some time to get this new project finished (at least 12 months from now). At the moment there's no UI and only some envelopes and oscillators are running. But I collected some of the first test sounds in these two videos:

This is a spare time project only. My personal goal is to turn one of my older computers into a "hardware synth"... but it will also be possible to load the realtime engine directly into a DAW for recording. And this time I'll write a manual... promised. *g*
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Impressive work !
This is the Warmest additive synthesis I have heard ! Most of the time additive synthesis has a very "cold" flavor to it.
Where can I buy it :D
Old 21st August 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Audio -Term II is not finished yet. The release - scheduled for 2016 - may delay a bit (new job...). But it's planned as freeware.
Old 21st August 2015

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I still think you should charge, even a symbolical $10. Why? Because i think ppl will respect the program a little bit more, than threat it like another "meh i got this freeware thing". I dunno, just some random thoughts.
Old 21st August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
I still think you should charge, even a symbolical $10. Why? Because i think ppl will respect the program a little bit more, than threat it like another "meh i got this freeware thing". I dunno, just some random thoughts.
Definitely. And $10 is certainly still a bargain, from what I can see. Very, very cool stuff.
Old 24th August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
And it's possible to write these Wavetables to disk (for use in VAZ Modular, Wusikstation, Reaktor... for wavescanning or older Ensoniq products as transwaves). So it may be interesting for more people than the small group of Terratec Komplexer owners.
Slightly off topic... what is the status of Komplexer these days? Since Terratec dropped support is is usable or unusable?
Old 4th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
I don't even have a bank account.

Here's another sound sample - this time it's from a realtime controller test :
Attached Files

AudioTerm_II_Sequence.mp3 (6.55 MB, 9582 views)

Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I must be stoopid, I can see AT has potential but always get stuck in a bog! I keep trying to make sense of it, every now and then a wave pops up but it's all just by clicking on this and that, I've seen some of the YouTube vids but still just too much of a puzzle.

Maybe those that do understand it and get predictable results can do us a vid.
Old 8th October 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
Where can I find the latest audio term that you created?
Thanks

Quote:
I don't even have a bank account.

Here's another sound sample - this time it's from a realtime controller test :
Old 8th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➑️
Where can I find the latest audio term that you created?
Thanks
Follow the link on blacktomcat666's member page.
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Here's the latest version (Audio - Term I Version 2.26): http://dl.dropbox.com/s/1y0d88ts8zy1um7/Audio-Term.zip

There are still some bugs (for example in the slice order matrix). Although I'm working on the new project there will be an update to fix this.

By the way, here are some further examples made with the upcoming Audio - Term II:

Old 23rd October 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
A short and simple test track of ATII (because sometimes I have to motivate myself ):
Attached Files

AT2_track.mp3 (4.04 MB, 8767 views)

Old 23rd October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Great!
Old 25th October 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's the latest version (Audio - Term I Version 2.26):
There are still some bugs (for example in the slice order matrix). Although I'm working on the new project there will be an update to fix this.

By the way, here are some further examples made with the upcoming Audio - Term II:
IΒ΄ve been an Audioterm fan from the beginning... thank you so much, I really love you
Old 25th October 2015 | Show parent
R7P
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Audio Term II sounds amazing and I'm very excited for it's eventual release. Is there any possibility for an OSX version?
Old 4th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was reading a thread about the ASR-10 and one thing that stood out plus has alot of praise was the "synthesizer loop" function. What else can you tell us about your SLOOP function? Is it anything like granular synthesis? I'd love to hear some sound clips of it!
Old 4th January 2016
Deleted b5734b5
I agree with others, charge, this is great software.
Old 4th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

And it's possible to write these Wavetables to disk (for use in VAZ Modular, Wusikstation, Reaktor... for wavescanning or older Ensoniq products as transwaves). So it may be interesting for more people than the small group of Terratec Komplexer owners. Further plans include support for Doepfer A112 and 2D wavetables (Piston Honda). May be I'll implement a special section for them
great stuff, is the Doepfer A-112 supported by now ?
Old 18th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Audio -Term II is not finished yet. The release - scheduled for 2016 - may delay a bit (new job...). But it's planned as freeware.
Hi blacktomcat

Big fan of your Audioterm software and looking forward to your new Audioterm2 instrument.
I have an old macbook pro running only WINXP waiting to become some kind of PPG Waveterm/Synclavier with your Audioterm2

So the question is, how is the project going on? How soon you will release it?

Last edited by chrissugar; 18th January 2016 at 06:12 PM..
Old 19th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianboyd ➑️
great stuff, is the Doepfer A-112 supported by now ?
Not directly, you can save a wavetable as wav file with the required number of table entries / samples per slot and use somthing like

Doepfer A-112 Waves | PrivatePublic Music

to convert / send it to the module. Direct support was not possible since the format lacks parameter fields. These fields are needed to allow correct sorting, browser playback and interpretation of the sound data. I managed to hide these data for Blofeld in *.syx files within the audio signal, but for the *.256 format the resolution is too low for such a nasty hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar ➑️
Hi blacktomcat

Big fan of your Audioterm software and looking forward to your new Audioterm2 instrument.
I have an old macbook pro running only WINXP waiting to become some kind of PPG Waveterm/Synclavier with your Audioterm2

So the question is, how is the project going on? How soon you will release it?

The project is still running, but I'm struggling with my health since a while and the doctors urged me to slow down everything a bit. So I cannot set a release date. Further I tried out different implementations (even one completely written in "assembler style", what's very efficient, but also very inflexible at a certain point). All this takes a lot of time and I'm still in a learning process.

In any case the result will be quite demanding for a pc and not the type of VST people are used to know. More like a standalone app with the option to load the realtime engine part into a DAW / VST Host. But no VST automation, no fancy 3D GUI... but also better to use than AudioTerm I.

My personal goal is to convert my old, unused DAW computer into a kind of "standalone hardware synth" - but I know nothing about electronics, so I have to "abuse" VST / ASIO. So it's not a product - it's more that I'll share the results of a personal fun project.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The project is still running, but I'm struggling with my health since a while and the doctors urged me to slow down everything a bit. So I cannot set a release date.
Sorry to hear about your health problems. Wish you speedy recovery, good health and strength to continue your projects.

Quote:
In any case the result will be quite demanding for a pc and not the type of VST people are used to know. More like a standalone app with the option to load the realtime engine part into a DAW / VST Host. But no VST automation, no fancy 3D GUI... but also better to use than AudioTerm I.

My personal goal is to convert my old, unused DAW computer into a kind of "standalone hardware synth" - but I know nothing about electronics, so I have to "abuse" VST / ASIO. So it's not a product - it's more that I'll share the results of a personal fun project.
It is perfect, it is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.
A dedicated software on a dedicated machine like the great old PPG/Synclavier instruments.

I already like very much your audio demos of the new version so I am very anxious to try it
Old 19th January 2016
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The audio demos are still limited, since all 4 partial timbres play the same data (with some use of random detuning and panning) and I have to use some AudioTerm I wavetables (wich is only a small subset of what can be done with the new engine).

At the current stage of development the parameter settings are programmed by typing numbers into long data lists by hand - and it has several thousands of parameters (most of them have to do with the wavesequencing / resynthesis playback). So I'd say its a sneak peak of the "direction", but still far from being representative in regard to versatility. And the list of unsolved problems is still as long as my arm.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
The audio demos are still limited, since all 4 partial timbres play the same data (with some use of random detuning and panning) and I have to use some AudioTerm I wavetables (wich is only a small subset of what can be done with the new engine).

At the current stage of development the parameter settings are programmed by typing numbers into long data lists by hand - and it has several thousands of parameters (most of them have to do with the wavesequencing / resynthesis playback). So I'd say its a sneak peak of the "direction", but still far from being representative in regard to versatility. And the list of unsolved problems is still as long as my arm.
I notice a lot of interest from the non Windows crowd, so...

AT seems to work fine in Wine for Mac/Linux heads, although the screen should be at least 800 pixels high to accommodate the full screen. I need to poke around a little more to make sure, but everything I did poke seemed to work with no untoward reactions.
πŸ“ Reply