Quantcast
Microwave 1 Rev A 2.0 on ebay.de - $1200? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microwave 1 Rev A 2.0 on ebay.de - $1200?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Microwave 1 Rev A 2.0 on ebay.de - $1200?

I know the Rev A 2.0 is hot stuff, but is it $1200 hot stuff? I'd think it is at least $400 too high. It is in good condition, tho.

Microwave 1 Rev A 2.0 on ebay.de - 00?Waldorf Micro Wave Wavetable Synthesizer, Microwave 1 | eBay

I think I'd regret buying this one even though it's the one I'm looking for, just based on price.

Any thoughts?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also, with 220 VAC, I'd have to get some kind of transformer at ~ $75?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a MW 1 rev A with 2.0 eproms that I bought locally off a guy from CS this past summer. I paid $850. It is also a european voltage model and I have a converter attached to it. That is not really a problem. I had to open it up and put the 2.0 eproms in it as well as replace the battery. It seemed as though the guy had never even used it properly. The MW1 is VERY easy to service so don't get scared about opening it up.

I think that price is too high personally when you add up all your additional costs. Shipping and customs charges are going to also hit you. It is a great sounding synth though!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I paid 550 Euro about a month ago for a Rev. A with OS 2.0 in very good condition. That's US$750. 1200 is too much IMO
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I won't tell you what I paid for mine...I had a guy throw it in as an afterthought at an estate sale, didn't even know what I was getting. But I will say that prices on the MW rev1 fluctuate quite a bit. I saw them go for +$2k for a brief period (as high as $2400) and then for a while they'll go for as little as $800. But they seem to hover at around a grand on ebay.

Whatever you pay you'll like the sound. I'd recommend waiting for one that's available in the states though. I've had international sales go wrong and it's very painful for everyone involved.

Also, remember you'll want to get a Novation Remote SL or some other controller to operate the Microwave, that's another hundred. Otherwise it's just too painful to program.
Old 30th January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
definitely too high, imo. I got mine for 300 to 400 a couple of years ago. Great at that price. For 1200, I would probably be looking at something else, unless you really need it now. They are not all that rare, and weren't a really high end unit when new.

Also, the ROM is not a huge issue. Various people can provide these if necessary, and not a great cost.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The MW1 any revision and OS, was a sleeper for the longest time, only fetching around $500. That however has changed. For the past 12-months, I haven't seen one on ebay below $1K. Occasionally going up to $1500 in a bidding war. So if you got one for less the $1K, consider yourself lucky.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont think youll find another synth in this price range with this much sonic quality.. How much do dsi p08 racks go for ? .. The mw sound 10 times better and gives you 8parts ..

XT are great value if you are thinking of cash... If you are thinking of sound well then mk1 is on the same level as a sp1200 808 etc .. Im never selling mine..
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have a MW I rev a and they can still be had for cheap (so I do think in your case this is too high) BUT you need to be lucky and the day will come when people ask themselves why they missed such a classic synth because they waited for one to turn up cheap (kind of like Jupiter 4's or Juno 60's etc)
A few went for silly money in the states last couple of years but they have calmed down a bit.
Amazing synths. Well worth finding one.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by initself ➑️
I know the Rev A 2.0 is hot stuff, but is it $1200 hot stuff? I'd think it is at least $400 too high. It is in good condition, tho.

Microwave 1 Rev A 2.0 on ebay.de - 00?Waldorf Micro Wave Wavetable Synthesizer, Microwave 1 | eBay

I think I'd regret buying this one even though it's the one I'm looking for, just based on price.

Any thoughts?
i saw that too - nice synth, but 888 EURO to START the auction is way too much imo. i look for the mw1 on ebay for a long time now. and i saw many mw1 with OS1 go for like 300-500 and mw1 with OS2 go for 500-700. but it's rare to find a rev. a with OS2. so if someone really wants exactly that model, he might pay 1200 EURO for it. i will definitely not ...
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's taking the piss, but no doubt some idiot will cough-up and the cycle of silliness will continue.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Payed 400€ for mine 2 months ago, so 1200$ is too much from my point of view.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
€400 is about the going rate with a bit of luck in Germany. Watch that become harder and harder to find though.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The question is not what you paid but where you found the gear. I feel lucky to have spotted the MW where I'm at and I don't live out in the sticks. If someone doesn't live in a reasonably large urban area finding an instrument such as the MW1 as a local sale might be rare and ebay is the only option. In that case you're going to spend +$1000, so just wait until one shows up that doesn't require international shipping and looks clean. They're not so rare that they never show up on ebay, usually one or two a month.

As for the OS, don't worry bout the version that's installed. The 2.0 upgrade is on ebay right now for ~$25. I bought my upgrade directly from Waldorf and paid something like $30.

Also, seriously budget for a Novation controller too so you can get some hands-on control.
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted d22f2ee
these are much cheaper in europe and germany in particular.Ebays a nonsense where prices are concerned much of the time.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast ➑️
In that case you're going to spend +$1000, so just wait until one shows up that doesn't require international shipping and looks clean. They're not so rare that they never show up on ebay, usually one or two a month.
+1 All things vintage, it pays to be patient! No need to panic, because there are plenty of MW1s produced.

BTW, I peeked at that MW mentioned in the OPs post. It is in excellent and beautiful condition. Still looking for a 2nd MW1 for myself, mine is pretty much "banged-up".
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In case you were wondering, these things do not show up often on US eBay or on CL Los Angeles, but they do appear with some regularity on the German eBay site.

Looks like Jim Gilmour's went for somewhere under $1200, but how much under?

Microwave 1 Rev A 2.0 on ebay.de - 00?Waldorf Microwave 1 Rev A with RAM Card Original Manuals Owned by Saga | eBay

I'm guessing these things aren't worth $800 anymore.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by initself ➑️
In case you were wondering, these things do not show up often on US eBay or on CL Los Angeles, but they do appear with some regularity on the German eBay site.

Looks like Jim Gilmour's went for somewhere under $1200, but how much under?

Microwave 1 Rev A 2.0 on ebay.de - 00?Waldorf Microwave 1 Rev A with RAM Card Original Manuals Owned by Saga | eBay

I'm guessing these things aren't worth $800 anymore.
I watch them on ebay, and have for a while. I haven't seen one in the US go for much less than a grand in a long time. The v1 Rev A seems to fetch a slightly higher price than the Rev B, though not by much. But they do appear to be less common.
πŸ“ Reply