Quantcast
want to build a synthesizer, what are the essentials? for sound/midi/power? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
want to build a synthesizer, what are the essentials? for sound/midi/power?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
want to build a synthesizer, what are the essentials? for sound/midi/power?

Think i posted this on the wrong forum, new here.

Hey there, some where in the near future i will start to build a synthesizer off an 9U A100 low cost case (already installed with the busboards and powersupply) with a few Oakley and Doepfer filters, etc and continue to build it over a year. First i need the essentials for power, sound and MIDI, (I dont mind spending a lot for these essential items first) so ...
1) What parts do i need to send MIDI from and to my computer?
(CV - MIDI/USB?)
2)What part do i need to power the synthesizer?
3) What part do i need to get sound from the synthesizer to my studio monitors? (Just a simple amplifier like the doepfer A183-3?) This will be through a mixer.

Thanks anyway.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You could use silent way for computer control and cut midi out of the equation.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
hab you builded one before an do you have experience wi th this electricals.

i builded one in purto rico base on the first one i gots given an this way back in the day pure componentry, no digi-analoge-midi converting stuff an its easy an hard at the same time.
to easy in that all the electricals go somewhere an you just need to be knowing where it be going but the difficults becuase point to point to point for ever an big confusions

my big advise is make sure you be having a good map to wrok from.
no road map an youle never find ur way back
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yeah, ive looked at silentway before but i want to use MIDI for ableton, send some patterns through the synth and record. ya know,
im new to all this, but i got a fair idea on how it all works and im planning it out over a few months, i just need to know what i need to power the whole thing up? ive found a good amp and a nice CV to MIDI/USB ...
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The bus boards should plug right into the modules then. Unless you have some sort of specific problem. Maybe i am misunderstanding you in that regard.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Okay, im still planning this out so i have a swift smooth building experience, i haven bought anything yet and want to clear somethings. do i need a separate module to power up the synthesizer? basically an ON button. I want to keep to as much hardware as possible and try to keep away from VST's and plugins.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
have you read this?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thanks mate, completely missed it on their site, okay does the inbuilt bus board have a power adapter to plug into a wall socket? EDIT dont worry i get it now, dumbass me ... thanks mate for solving my stupidity! :D
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No worries. Modular is confusing. No bigs.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Another quick question will i need a MIDI to USB interface or can i use this module to send piano riffs from ableton to the synthesizer (A190-3 USB/MIDI to CV/Gate Interface | MO-4-A190-3) i want to keep as much stuff into the modular enviroment.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That'll work.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks and i would use gate as the output im guessing? Also would this module (A183-3 DC Amplifier | MO-4-A183-3) allow me to connect this to a mixer with a studio monitor, if not what module do i use to get sound? and what are good types of modules to start off with?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The gate would get sent to the envelopes and the pitch cv would get sent to the oscillators. Typically.there are other uses for gate such as clocking, for which you may use square lfo's if you need a constant stream of gate triggers.

That amp module looks like a simple gain staging amp. I'm not sure it's necessary, but handy as a utility and certainly can do what you're asking.

What do you mean by "get sound" exactly? Are you familiar with modular synthesis? I hope that doesn't come off as condescending. It's an honest question.
πŸ“ Reply