Quantcast
Long time lurker wonders if others feel intimidated - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Long time lurker wonders if others feel intimidated
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Long time lurker wonders if others feel intimidated

As a long time lurker i can't help but wonder if others feel intimidated to post as I have because I've notice that while most of the community seenm friendly there are a few posters whoo dominate some discussions with intolerance for alternative ways to do things.
for example I've noticed a disdain for people who will use a oprebought sample or preset on a synth. Also a general snobbery for certain popular music against what may be cool

not looking to argue these points, just drawing attention to a fact that some members speak with such veermence and spite that others may lurk and never show there face even tho they may have positive things to give to the forum

So friendly hellos, its taken me a while to show the face, but I wanted to let the majority know that its probably a few that stop this being a more positive pitstop between composition
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Wayne Kerr nice...

Anyway - if you find someone being "out of line" just report the post.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
LOL @ your username
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
some people think their way is the only right way to do things, others just like to troll people on the interwebs. feel free to use the ignore feature.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Fear not the audioconsult, Wayne dear. Welcome. heh
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alright let's get some thing straight Wanye Kerr...

#1 Jupiter-8

#2 The only sample packs you are allowed to use are approved by AudioConsult. That is to say none at all.

#3 Even if I knew how to make a wub like Shrillex I still wouldnt tell you....I suggest a Womp filter though....

#4 Detune 2 oscillators and profit...

#5 Welcome to GS soon you'll be gassing and irrational just like the rest of us.
: )
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The name is a curse but its what I was born with and even the police have a laugh when i was pulled over for random breath test and they see my license
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Mr Kerr.
Yes sometimes it can be a bit intimidating around here, but mostly the positive greatly outweighs the negative.

And always remember, most of what you read here is opinion stated as fact.
They are not the same!

It actually gives me a giggle to see people get their panties in a knot over things like oscillators and presets. But then again, you can't deny their passion.

Enjoy!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've found that if you ask the right questions, and remember from where the respective answers are coming from, every post is worth something. Even the dismissive poster can provide you with some valuable information, as long as his post is longer than a few words, and they usually are.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Wayne,

good you brought that up. There will be more folks that feel intimidated at first.
I only post stuff that I know about, not so much...
And unfriendly people, well.... story of the world....
they will end up in....
or at least on your ignore list
and their 'jerkfullness' is out there to be seen by all.

We need a real life ignore list for the world out there.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Generally you wont get faulted for asking good questions. If its a lazy question or a question that makes no sense thats when most people will come down on you. As for the presets and sample pack debate - We all have general goals for what we do that are unique to each one of us. People will express opinions on the use of these things on both sides and thats not only about sample packs. The internet is full of opinions.

Reminds me of this brilliant twitter post.

When asked if you could go back in time and talk to the people there what would you tell them about the future. this was his response:

“I have a device in my pocket containing the sum of all human knowledge… I use it to view pictures of cats, and start arguments w strangers"

Thats the best description of the internet I've ever seen.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You mean like Audioinsult? Some of his posts are intelligent and others are insulting. He assumes nobody knows anything. He told me to learn how to mix once, having never heard my mixes, which are rather well done lmao
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just remember...

Analogue == warm and fat

Digital == cold and thin

Presets == the Devil incarnate
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
if you're arguing aesthetics ... this get messy.. I personally have a sense of humor about it all.

So don't be too quick to put people on ignore.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To the OP...a lot of internet forums are like that, especially ones where a lot of intelligent (well, usually) opinionated people gather. Just remember to have a thick enough skin and you'll be fine.
Old 30th January 2013
tomcc
Thanks for the introduction . Sorry about the name thing. The opinions expressed here are exactly that. Peoples opinions. Some INSULTING people like to think they know everything as fact. Feel free to express your opinion and ignore the others who should have your name who think they are all knowing.
Welcome
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire ➡️
To the OP...a lot of internet forums are like that, especially ones where a lot of intelligent (well, usually) opinionated people gather. Just remember to have a thick enough skin and you'll be fine.
I've found that invariably certain strong personalities emerge; it's just the nature of any social group. In some cases they can take over and I've seen a couple forums ruined because of it. But that's when good mods/admins are needed to prevent that from happening.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't worry about it. This forum isn't really any more aggressive than any other online community.

The only posts that irritate a lot of people around here and generally will get you some negative reactions are people who sign up to ask what preset is used in a specific pop song. It's not really about presets, we all probably use them at least as a starting point sometimes. It's more about the perceived lack of seriousness or work ethic. I've been guilty of it, I'm sure.

But you can ignore anyone who doesn't respond constructively and generally speaking you'll get good answers even if you do get a few upturned noses.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_kerr ➡️
As a long time lurker i can't help but wonder if others feel intimidated to post as I have because I've notice that while most of the community seenm friendly there are a few posters whoo dominate some discussions with intolerance for alternative ways to do things.
for example I've noticed a disdain for people who will use a oprebought sample or preset on a synth. Also a general snobbery for certain popular music against what may be cool

not looking to argue these points, just drawing attention to a fact that some members speak with such veermence and spite that others may lurk and never show there face even tho they may have positive things to give to the forum

So friendly hellos, its taken me a while to show the face, but I wanted to let the majority know that its probably a few that stop this being a more positive pitstop between composition

You are whining about me? because i call users of preset content lamers?

sorry but that is not an opinion but emerges just from the definitions of the word regarding the software and gaming world.. And what else is so called music composition based on premade building blocks other than a computer game? Everything comes with a pricy. The price of preset use is that the honor of your name suffers. Ij ust serve the purpose to remind to this. My personal opinion should´nt matter to you. only thing that might hurt is when you get the idea that i might be right.

When you ve valid arguments why you domnt speak up in a thread ?

But you prefer to start a anonymus witchhunt and open request for mopbbing?

how does that fit the profile of a shy lurker? Are you by chance the trolling second identity of another member?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Hi Mr. Kerr. If there is ever any posts which seem hateful or otherwise go against the forum rules, most users here would be quick to report it and the mods would quickly remove it. I've seen it happen and the system works quite well.

Otherwise, I believe you're talking about the nature of internet forums. Other people express their views which will often conflict with yours, and they might do so in a way which is irritating to you. But that per se doesn't require regulation.

The great thing about GS is that it's not an idiology and, within reason, anyone can say what they please. I think this is a better that way. You can always read something else.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Wayne,

WELCOME! Post as you wish, ask as many questions as you need whether they are stupid or not.....and chime-in where you feel you can. Have you ever heard that song "I'm so much cooler online"? ;-) Reality is that anyone can be anyone they want to be when hiding behind a computer screen, but the reality is most of those on here are lurking---I know this because I receive NUMEROUS emails and phone-calls of those telling me so. There are those that are afraid to post for the very reasons, but it's only a forum---no one will hurt you unless you let them do so. Even then, most of those posting here are others like yourself who are here to learn.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Helo mre kerr
ignore tree face, he sit in his studio wiht all his frends (1 blowup dol) an twist the knob on his 308 chanting i was cool once
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Wayne - asshats hate it when you don't give them the attention they need. Just ignore them. Also never ever use an actual acoustic piano as they only have one preset.
Old 30th January 2013
Passion for synths sometimes leads to "Heated Discussions"

When people are passionate about things they get emotional. Doesn't necessary mean that's a bad thing. Image if it wasn't like that then things would be a lot more boring.

Being rude though is uncalled for. Disrespecting people personally should not happen either. We're all here because we love the same types of things. In most situations that would make an easy friend to talk to.

Don't be intimidated. We're all here to share, we all like to hear people join in.

I'm kind on new myself but used to be a watcher. I have noticed that there are some pretty "strong opinions" from some people quite often more than others. Also realize in such an open forum you will deal with many personalities and tempers. Some people's buttons are pushed more easily than others. Some people just like to push buttons for reasons that they are bitter people, angry, insecure, hate change, ect. But I'm pretty sure 90% of the time they are aggressive because they are passionate about their gear / music.

Then I see many times people that seem to throw water on the fire. They handle things really well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 ➡️
You mean like Audioinsult? Some of his posts are intelligent and others are insulting. He assumes nobody knows anything. He told me to learn how to mix once, having never heard my mixes, which are rather well done lmao
No.. thats not true. I meet almost any day people that could and actually sometimes do write books about audio engineering and electronic music propduction. But that makes a bit sensetive towards the bull**** department. And this is especially well developed on edm related forums lately.. as edm related as stupid has become the sad but true formular.
And with stupid i mean of cause not the lack of knowledge.. i mean the unability to understand the issue even when you provide the information.
Thats a rather new phenomenon. Also a side fx of the preset providing industry.
First you dont needed to learn an instrument to do music anymore.. now you even dont need to be the creative type anymore?

so after the democrtatisation of musicproduction with its known positive fx we have the morronivication of music production now.. has this positive fx too? and wouldnt be dedicated forums in the internet just the place to discuss that?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
People are generally friendly and helpful. A few ****** bags try to spoil it...but that is the way of the web. All things considered this place is much more easy going than many other forums I've visited.
Old 30th January 2013
Just to add sometimes people get annoyed when the following type of threads occur because it's just calling for "heated discussions"

These topics are:

1) Analog is better than digital
2) This synthesizer (example: Virus) is the better than all other synthesizers
3) softsynths suck, I'm done with them
4) all great musicians use hardware
5) electronic music sucks nowadays
6) the best music was made in the past
7) What is better Virtual Analog or Analog
8) The iPad is the future of music
9) should I sell my "whatever" to buy the new "whatever"
10 Which is better? This "whatever" synth or this "whatever" synth
11) I have 2000 dollars which synth should I buy?
12) what is the best synthesizer for 1000?

and the list goes on

Every week someone posts up something like one of these topics. You can bet they cause an uproar. We all can't help but to keep checking on the thread.

These arguments happen most of the time because gear quite often is subjective. You could literally do a scientific study and post a thread that asks what is the best sounding synthesizer for 1000 and you'll literally get such a wide range of answers and it WILL go into a heated discussion.
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted 60622ed
Does it sound as good as sylenth?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't feel intimidated by Internet folks, especially about music. Best thing I ever learned in the studio hanging around really talented people was this: "If it sounds good, it is good." Plenty of good advice to be found, lots of strong opinions, but seriously, I'm supposed to be intimidated by some anonymous expert who thinks my way of working is "wrong?" Really?

The thing I really love about the Internet is that it's allowed me to see how other people, especially people I look up to, went about their work. I watched 20 minutes of Roger Troutman working in the studio on YouTube the other day, and that's freaking fantastic! It's surprising to me how often I see folks who have had great success, both critical and commercial, doing things "wrong." And conversely, seeing how they do things right.

In any case, I've found these forums to be a wealth of knowledge and am thrilled to see both big names (or folks who clearly are big names but using a handle) and folks who are just making music for the love of it, all in one place. I've learned a lot here! Sadly, I've also acquired a terrible case of GAS.

Don't waste time on the negative threads. There's far too much useful stuff here to bother with that...

Last edited by Releaux; 30th January 2013 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Removed meandering semi-off-topic paragraph.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Releaux ➡️
Best thing I ever learned in the studio hanging around really talented people was this: "If it sounds good, it is good."
Damn right. If you work in the real world you learn fast that pretty much anything said on Gearslutz goes out the window so take it all with a grain of salt. Reality and Gearslutz don't even exist in the same universe.

I was watching this mixer/producer working on a mix for a somewhat well known pop star and he actually stuck an Ez-Mix preset on her vocal track! This is a guy with gold records, lol! And you know what? That **** sounded great. He even turned around and started laughing at the expression on my face and said to me, "Hey! Don't steal my secret!" haha...

In the real world, anything goes...If it sounds good, it is good.

Regards,
Frank
Closed