Quantcast
Long time lurker wonders if others feel intimidated - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Long time lurker wonders if others feel intimidated
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Some people are naturally sensitive, some painfully so and can't take much negativity whether it be online or in their lives. I wish we could all be down-to-earth, confident, impenetrable beings but it's not the case.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_kerr ➡️
Ok Gloria.Or you can just titter - I have a Beavjz and Butthead DVD you can borrow if you need some witty retorts
for somebody who was forum-shy and upset by snarly retorts just a few hours ago,

you are adapting quite well.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I am a lurker too only because I fear the ableton vst guys who I don't understand. The whole forum is watered down with 2400 sample pack preset stuff that there is nothing interesting anymore. I guess I'm getting old and cranky.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncSailor ➡️
Rules are the enemy of creativity. Use presets, banjos, cardboard boxes, cheap crappy synths and even outrageously over-heralded gear. Use anything you think sounds good in your composition. Rules are for those with limited talent.

And here's a little quote about forums in general:

"We started off trying to set up a small anarchist community, but people wouldn't obey the rules." ;-)
preset music is the enemy of honest music
presets enable unworthy bozos to crowd the market place with fake products.
Fake products kill subgenres before they can thrive

The preset industry is stealing fom original artists thanks to old fashioned copyright laws that exclude sounds, basslines and grooves but protect stupid 4 letter word lyrics and generic chord progressions.

An industry based on stealing and fraud is corrupt and leads to corrupted art.
Features corrupted personalitys, features the asshole society that is ultimatly doomed.

Music as one of the last positive forces within human society needs to be proteted from corruption whereever possible.

Ban preset use.. tar and feather preset manufacturers .. Acoustical child molesters on the pillory
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
xxx
so, if I got it right, you don't appreciate presets, correct?

May I ask you to please expand on the concept in some detail?

It is a very innovative point of view.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh god, not again.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️

at least its a point of view and No passive herd consumer mentality.

Presets are the revenge of the establishment for rock n roll

They are a trap. When you wana be an artist you ve to make without.. otherwise you only will be a wannabe artist..and theese dont have the power to change society. hero or mice.choose your side
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
Is it really that difficult to explain to everyone else?

Must you keep it an inside joke?

Might as well not said anything at all.
Well in German "Wicks", spoken out, sounds like the imperative form of the same thing mr.kerr's name indicates
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There's an important difference between simple preset patches and preset grooves, basslines, progressions and other complex patterns. The latter are what's become much more widespread over the last 15 years - you only need to compare a late 90s synth to a Motif, or more commonly to the newest software, to see this - at the expense of originality.

Incidentally - welcome to the forum everyone !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b788fee ➡️
Ha! Lol !!! That's what led to me getting permabanned (mostly unfairly imo) from Harmony Central's KSS forum ... I had somebody blocked and for some reason got curious and for once read a post ... Of course, it was insulting to me — as usual — and I took the bait and responded in kind ... Shortly thereafter, the hammer fell ... BANNINATION ... !!! Oh well ... How can one be rueful about being banned from a forum frequented mostly by zombies who claim to be electronic musicians and can type?
Hey, I can top that - I got my first warning here for somebody quoting someone being insulting to me and messing up the quote tags, so it looked like I was the one being insulting
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 ➡️
Well in German "Wicks", spoken out, sounds like the imperative form of the same thing mr.kerr's name indicates
Thanks for sharing. This is a forum, no inside jokes here, we're here to share. See isn't that better, now we're all included.
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Presets are the revenge of the establishment for rock n roll

When you wana be an artist you ve to make without.. otherwise you only will be a wannabe artist..and theese dont have the power to change society.
So it's not just an artistic choice.

It's more of a political issue: I mean, not the kind of abstract "poltiics" nobody cares about anymore,

but "political" as in "changing the conditions in which we concretely live",

right?

I see the point: they are robbing our soul through presets, just like thay are devastating our taste with junk food so that we don't care about real hunger.

They are deafening our moral sense through the destruction of our aesthetic principles.

It's a matter of life and death, but it's disguised in small, gradual steps.

"Orinoco flow" today... Berlin tomorrow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz ➡️
Oh god, not again.
ssshhhhhh!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
There's an important difference between simple preset patches and preset grooves, basslines, progressions...
true.. but we .loive in the year 2013 and dont talk about rompler libs anymore..
thats patches but a realpreset of today is a building block for a song.. and thats for bozos..

problem is thazt tons of content holding presets get smuggled into your lib together ith plain sound libs and patches..

thats environmental polution.. corrupition.. damaging exploiting of the creative music scene..

a form of organized crime
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another thread starter title designed purely to provoke 'much ado about nothing'

Quote:
As a long time lurker
OP as you have now de-lurked...why not just contribute, don't worry about nothing! And if you really are that sensitive (which I very much doubt!) do yerself a favor and don't try and get involved in the music business.

On the other hand a bit of skin thickness and getting out there in one way or another can be so rewarding.
Quote:

There was another thread where we fought out the presets opinion. I'll admit myself included and it went on and on.

I'm not joining this one though.

Just know some of us believe and like creating everything from scratch. That's all.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So it's not just an artistic choice.

It's more of a political issue: I mean, not the kind of abstract "poltiics" nobody cares about anymore,

but "political" as in "changing the conditions in which we concretely live",

right?

ssshhhhhh!!!

only a******* dont care.. . eating the tree you sit on, as the instrument industry is doing by supporting content holding presets, is a morons choice..
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Edit: content deleted by poster. Reason: broke self-imposed rule about feeding the trolls.

Carry on.
Deleted 0dfcc1b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgoobs ➡️
I believe its now 'handicapable'

Anywho.

Some rules.

#1 Tune your room
#2 detune your OSCs
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm thin skinned but I think it makes disincentive to join conversation.
Somebody here said it already. Dont take it so serious. Enjoy the place and change your user name. lol You could always change it to wicks...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash ➡️
Somebody here said it already. Dont take it so serious. Enjoy the place and change your user name. lol You could always change it to wicks...
...and if you're looking for an appropriate car, get yourself a Mitsubishi Pajero...
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sooooo... Are those redundant acoustic guitars, snare drums, and pianos the enemy of honest music? If you are playing one of those you cannot claim one single credit for the sound of that instrument. Does this make the music redundant? If certain presets are overused then snare drums are overused. Beethoven used "the preset" on every instrument he wrote for. It is folly to argue against using presets. The most you can rightly say is that you don't personally like one of them.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Some synth players will take a preset and alter one parameter just so they can say they don't use presets. It's all ego.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sooooo... Are those redundant acoustic guitars, snare drums, and pianos the enemy of honest music? If you are playing one of those you cannot claim one single credit for the sound of that instrument. Does this make the music redundant? If certain presets are overused then snare drums are overused. Beethoven used "the preset" on every instrument he wrote for. It is folly to argue against using presets. The most you can rightly say is that you don't personally like one of them.
<deleted by moderator >
In our happy new presetworld instrumental pattches are maybe 50%..tendency shrinking.. content holding and infuencing presets at any corner.. 1000 new in any upgrade, plus the cheasy genre specivic construction kits from professional culture vultures, that directly steal from club tracks to legalize the stealing process for their customers.. <deleted by moderator >
magix music maker frauds are a pest and especially in edm we have a 1:20 ratio now between real contenders and fakes.. maybe its 1:100 already.. <deleted by moderator >

<deleted by moderator >

Last edited by Reptil; 31st January 2013 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: tone it down a bit will you? you can make a point without all the drama (antagonising) thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Where are the built in melodies and rythms in these sound may I ask? As soon as you take a building block whatever it may be and use it and change it so that its main musical qualities become your own you are safe. If the main qualities were concieved by or under the control of somebody else it isn't your music. How is this hard to understand?

Edit: And why on earth start this argument again? I thought it was all crystal clear from last time.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
and presets
correct
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
I don't see the point in blocking someone's posts. Being on a forum entails different angles. Besides, wouldn't the context disappear from threads you're reading if blocked people post in it?
I don't block anybody here and have only blocked two people ever ... but some people are more hassle than the overall experience is worth ...
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
true.. but we .loive in the year 2013 and dont talk about rompler libs anymore..
thats patches but a realpreset of today is a building block for a song.. and thats for bozos..

Not meaning to be pedantic, but if you by "preset" mean loops and construction kits, you should consider start saying "loops and construction kits" instead, because it would make it a lot easier to agree with you.

Preset = preset patch. On a synth typically. That's why people keep bringing up guitars and pianos when you talk about this.

Most people would agree using loops and phrases is taking shortcuts (unless we're talking creative use), while it's sometimes convenient to use that oboe preset (=patch) from your favourite sample library rather than constructing your own in the shed.
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➡️
Not meaning to be pedantic, but if you by "preset" mean loops and construction kits, you should consider start saying "loops and construction kits" instead, because it would make it a lot easier to agree with you.

Preset = preset patch. On a synth typically. That's why people keep bringing up guitars and pianos when you talk about this.

Most people would agree using loops and phrases is taking shortcuts (unless we're talking creative use), while it's sometimes convenient to use that oboe preset (=patch) from your favourite sample library rather than constructing your own in the shed.
+1
Old 30th January 2013
Ged
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This place is great, I used to avoid posting but most folks here are usually very knowledgeable and helpful, dunno what i'd do with my couple of hours online at night if GS didn't exist!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
...and we come full circle.

This thread is a self fulfilling prophecy.
Closed