Quantcast
Long time lurker wonders if others feel intimidated - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Long time lurker wonders if others feel intimidated
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
One thing I laugh at is just because someone is new to the Forum or hasn't posted a lot doesn't mean they are new to music production.
I've been messing around with Yamaha FM since 1991 (when I was still in High School) and analogue before that as well.I also bought analogue synths when they were practically throwing them away.

This site isn't as bad as some others though.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
tomcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
I was watching this mixer/producer working on a mix for a somewhat well known pop star and he actually stuck an Ez-Mix preset on her vocal track! This is a guy with gold records, lol! And you know what? That **** sounded great. He even turned around and started laughing at the expression on my face and said to me, "Hey! Don't steal my secret!" haha...

In the real world, anything goes...If it sounds good, it is good.

Regards,
Frank
You sure he didn't say
"Don't tell AudioInsult"
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted 60622ed
All hobby sites ive been on are the same, from motorbikes to snowboarding...at least Gearslutz doesnt allow politics and ****, that kills places

Analog, digital, hardware, software...who cares, what are the best headphones for mastering techno?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not European. I was wondering why people thought your name was funny. Lol Ok I get it. I actually almost did a google search on your name, until I said it to myself.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Wayne it is cool, just ignore the haters on here.
They will come at you from all directions as they still do to me.

It seems like GS can sometimes feel like you need to know everything and asking a question which may seem simple to them is a no no.
Having said all that there are many great people on this site who take the time out to help you. My best advice would be if someone offends you ignore the post completely. It works well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
Damn right. If you work in the real world you learn fast that pretty much anything said on Gearslutz goes out the window so take it all with a grain of salt. Reality and Gearslutz don't even exist in the same universe.

I was watching this mixer/producer working on a mix for a somewhat well known pop star and he actually stuck an Ez-Mix preset on her vocal track! This is a guy with gold records, lol! And you know what? That **** sounded great. He even turned around and started laughing at the expression on my face and said to me, "Hey! Don't steal my secret!" haha...

In the real world, anything goes...If it sounds good, it is good.

Regards,
Frank
I understand this sentiment - that it's about cardboard cones pushing air and it really doesn't matter what causes that, so long as the effect is a good sound.

But I think it would be very wrong to confuse that with a notion that it's always best to avoid creating new sounds, commercially or otherwise.

There's no point in citing bands/producers who have developed something new, even starkly new, and gone on to be commercially successful, because there are so many of them. And in many cases this has been their musical focus, not some afterthought.

You don't have to look far to find psychological literature about how good music is a combination of fulfilled expectations and surprise. This goes for all music, including successful commercial music. It would be wrong to think you'll persistently do well by only ever relying on an "expected" sound, even if it is a good one.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_kerr ➡️
As a long time lurker i can't help but wonder if others feel intimidated to post as I have because I've notice that while most of the community seenm friendly there are a few posters whoo dominate some discussions with intolerance for alternative ways to do things.
for example I've noticed a disdain for people who will use a oprebought sample or preset on a synth. Also a general snobbery for certain popular music against what may be cool

not looking to argue these points, just drawing attention to a fact that some members speak with such veermence and spite that others may lurk and never show there face even tho they may have positive things to give to the forum

So friendly hellos, its taken me a while to show the face, but I wanted to let the majority know that its probably a few that stop this being a more positive pitstop between composition
welcome!!

i lurked for a long time (about 8 months I'd say) mainly because I felt like i did not have anything to contribute yet and didn't want to provide misinformation

but now that I'm active, i really love it here. people are great, just place people like audioconsult on ignore

report those that break the rules and ignore it so it doesn't escalate

some people definitely have strong feelings about certain genres and techniques, but honestly that's part of the reason this place is so great

i think it'd be boring if everyone agreed on everything heh

anyhoot...welcome! please don't lurk anymore, and join the party!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
A cheat is no handycaped person !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash ➡️
I'm not European. I was wondering why people thought your name was funny. Lol Ok I get it. I actually almost did a google search on your name, until I said it to myself.
I was in a band in the 90's, and the singers last name was "Wicks"
We went to Germany, and there were many jokes about it.
Germans will know what I am talking about.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Welcome! Gearslutz is just like any other faction of society. It always seems like there's a lot of "bad-guys" because those are the loudest ones and they're the ones in the news headlines. But reality is that the "bad-guys" are a very small percent of our society. Most people on here are honest, hard-working, craftsmen who share a love for synths and other music gear and are able to have conversations without being degrading. Don't be fooled by all the news stories and loudmouths. The majority of your neighbors are good people.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
for the record and I am being totally honest most of the guys who posted on this thread so far are freaking awesome and I say that with a nice cooley in my hand.
If you were all here Id shout each of you a drink
Now can I get some love back or what?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You are whining about me? because i call users of preset content lamers?

sorry but that is not an opinion but emerges just from the definitions of the word regarding the software and gaming world.. And what else is so called music composition based on premade building blocks other than a computer game? Everything comes with a pricy. The price of preset use is that the honor of your name suffers. Ij ust serve the purpose to remind to this. My personal opinion should´nt matter to you. only thing that might hurt is when you get the idea that i might be right.

When you ve valid arguments why you domnt speak up in a thread ?

But you prefer to start a anonymus witchhunt and open request for mopbbing?

how does that fit the profile of a shy lurker? Are you by chance the trolling second identity of another member?
Um excuse me but who are you?

You sem very paranoid but I don't specifically know you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️
I was in a band in the 90's, and the singers last name was "Wicks"
We went to Germany, and there were many jokes about it.
Germans will know what I am talking about.
Is it really that difficult to explain to everyone else?

Must you keep it an inside joke?

Might as well not said anything at all.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's a forum. There are helpful people and there are not, no different than other forums. Welcome to the internet, take baby steps.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️

Wicks --> Vicks --> ****
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I think this is one for the Gearslutz Hall of Fame. Greatest put-down ever.

Welcome to Gearslutz.

A few things you should beware of saying round here:

- I really like the sound of VAs, far more than those obsolete old dinosaurs from the 80s.

- I never really understood why anyone would pay $1000 - or even $100 - for a Roland TB303.

- What's a Jupiter 8?

- Where can I get a Skrillex sound pack?

Avoid these and you should be fine.

D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau ➡️
Wicks --> Vicks --> ****
Ha
tomcc
Quote:

Well you had been warned. You have now have felt the wrath of audioinsult. Not too bad a start. He usually is a lot worse.
Anyway take his insults as a joke. Just like him to go trolling

PS Looneytune. If you up at the Sunnycoast QLD drop in and I'll shout you a few cold ones and maybe we can work on a few toones
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Whoops, I didn't mean it to be be an inside joke, I should have explained it better.

Old 30th January 2013
Can he get voted off the island?

In all seriousness has gearslutz voted people off a thread? or eliminated their account all together? Just curious how it works around here?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can he get voted off the island?

In all seriousness has gearslutz voted people off a thread? or eliminated their account all together? Just curious how it works around here?
It's happened, but they always come back
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➡️
I think this is one for the Gearslutz Hall of Fame. Greatest put-down ever.

Welcome to Gearslutz.

A few things you should beware of saying round here:

- I really like the sound of VAs, far more than those obsolete old dinosaurs from the 80s.

- I never really understood why anyone would pay $1000 - or even $100 - for a Roland TB303.

- What's a Jupiter 8?

- Where can I get a Skrillex sound pack?

Avoid these and you should be fine.

D.
You forgot to include vengeance sounds packs

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
this site is VERY friendly.

i'm a member of another forum, don't go there much. which is rotten to the core with negative thinking and hatefulness... really really bad. if you post there, it doesnt matter what you say, you're going to get shouted down and personally insulted. it's not a music related site btw. but this place is sooo polite in comparison. and the EM forum is actually one of the best on GS for 'good people'.. even elsewhere on this forum, you ask a question, one of the first 3 answers will be pure sarcasm. and not in a funny way.

but to the OP i say this, just post something and dont be afraid to. i've lost count of the stupid wrong things i've said. just let that go. and don't tell other members that you think they're a piece of ****... that's a good rule of thumb
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've been around on various forums and mailing lists for years but it took me some time to summon up the courage and join up here.

Being an electronic engineer when I saw the OP's name I immediately thought of this lot:

Wayne Kerr Electronics

They were named, supposedly, after the founder's two favourite actors; John Wayne and Deborah Kerr.

Oh, and from time to time, I use presets too...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

oh sorry than.. your complain seemed so specifically tailored towards the anti preset militia..and thats me. So my troll alarm was triggered heavily... But good to know that i ve escaped a longtime lurker ..than i cant be such a burdon as humping jim suggested yesterday a short while before your posting. I hope idiot means a different thing in the US as it does in germany.. Otherwise it would be quite a hard term. Thats how humping jim called me in a vicious humping attack out of the nowhere.. These internet bullies are scary...
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was going to post my opinion online but I was afraid someone might disagree or that I might find out that I was wrong or look like a dolt. Oh wait, that's actually something I'm completely not worried about. Because I'd rather look dumb for 2 seconds than be paralyzed forever from fear that I might be wrong, disagreed with or have my thinking challenged.

I want to say that I find it deplorable, the ganging up on some people that I see here. Fascist BS like suggesting someone be voted off the island... Grow a pair carebears. Respectful is good. Pussified is bad. I prefer a community where expressing an unpopular opinion is not considered taboo. And when someone jumps in to disagree, now it's getting even better.

Excellence does not emerge from the bland politically correct personalities. Ideas must conflict in order for resolution to be found. No conflict = no advancement. If you don't have strongly defined preferences then you might not be made of the right stuff to produce definitive culture. The world is full of bland filler material. Please don't be, or encourage others to be, a part of that problem.

Love GS, love you all, don't ever change.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I mosty lurk. I'd quite like to sell/buy from the classifieds but I don't know how anyone who doesn't feel strongly about VCO vs DCO or analogue vs digital ever gets to 300 posts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No.. thats not true. I meet almost any day people that could and actually sometimes do write books about audio engineering and electronic music propduction. But that makes a bit sensetive towards the bull**** department. And this is especially well developed on edm related forums lately.. as edm related as stupid has become the sad but true formular.
And with stupid i mean of cause not the lack of knowledge.. i mean the unability to understand the issue even when you provide the information.
Thats a rather new phenomenon. Also a side fx of the preset providing industry.
First you dont needed to learn an instrument to do music anymore.. now you even dont need to be the creative type anymore?

so after the democrtatisation of musicproduction with its known positive fx we have the morronivication of music production now.. has this positive fx too? and wouldnt be dedicated forums in the internet just the place to discuss that?
I think you should learn how to type before you post on any more forums.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I blame Ableton. For everything. Ever.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
welcome Mr Kerr!

just as in real life there's a few weirdos round here (both good and bad).

it can make for very entertaining reading heh
Closed