Quantcast
Korg ms-20 vocal like sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg ms-20 vocal like sound
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Korg ms-20 vocal like sound

I see that the previous thread titled "King KORG Analog Synthesizer, 3 Oscillators, 2 Timbres, 61 Keys & New MINI MS-20" - was closed.

Anyway, kraku posted this demo:

... to which sizzelmeister replied:
Quote:
Aha! At 6:37, where they'e doing that vocal-like sound, I can't get that sound out of anything but Korg filters.
I think i managed to replicate that sound with the GRP A4. The secret, naturally, is to work both filters (lowpass and highpass) at the same time in opposite directions. You can drive them using an envelope, or the modwheel, or an lfo.
The settings i used on the GRP are (sorry for the crappy quality of the picture):

The sound source is a single oscilator set to sawtooth.
What you see here is a lowpass filter to the left, which should be set to 12db or 6db lowpass (i tried it with the moogish 24db - and it simply doesn't work, and doesn't create the vocal like effect). Personally, i preffer the 6db setting. It gives a more radical effect.
Cutoff is at 60%, resonance at 70% (perhaps a bit more. you need it to be just right before it goes into self oscilation).

To the right i chose the highpass filter. The settings are: cutoff at 65% and resonance also at 65% (take all of this relatively, since a similar array of filters on different synths may respond differently, and might have its sweet spots with a bit different settings).
So this is the starting point.
What i did from here is assign CUTOFF to the Modwheel as thus:
On the 6db lowpass filter i set it to 65% on the amount knob,
but about 42% amount on the highpass - and (here comes the important part) set it in the reverse direction. I.e. it lowers the cutoff of the highpass, thus changing it from a thin sound to a fatter one, while the lowpass is doing the exact opposite.

My point in all this is that you might not need, specifically, a korg ms-20 to get that sound. Any synth with a dual filter (and it's important to have the lowpass set to 12db or lower) can get there. Not just korg filters. I think.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We've already discussed this. I said at the time that I can get that sound with the Microzwerg and the Virus, using two band pass filters. As you said, you get the vowel sounds as the cutoff frequencies cross.

The claim in the original thread was that the MS-20 can do this with a single low-pass filter.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
We've already discussed this. I said at the time that I can get that sound with the Microzwerg and the Virus, using two band pass filters. As you said, you get the vowel sounds as the cutoff frequencies cross.

The claim in the original thread was that the MS-20 can do this with a single low-pass filter.
Sorry, i might have missed the rest of the discussion.
But in that ms-20 vid, you could clearly see that the highpass filter isn't "neutral" (i.e. the resonance is up, and probably is modulated by the eg).
If it could be done just with the korg's 12db lowpass - i'd like to see it.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Agreed.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️

My claim, more specifically, was that I haven't been able to coax that sound out of anything but a Korg LP filter. I mentioned the Poly 800 (modded) and the Polysix was discussed (which is, of course, a SSM filter in a Korg circuit). I did not mention then, but will now, that I have been able to get that sound out of a Poly 61.

I posted the following video as evidence of the claim (vocal sounds start at ~3:45):

No one ever suggested it couldn't be done on other analog or hybrid synths using just the filter or filters. That would be ridiculous. I was merely pointing out, in the excitement of the time, that I have not been able to so easily coax that vocal sound out of any other analog LP filter.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
monotribes do this well also. basically just throw the lfo rate up into the audible range and play with shape, intensity, and cutoff. sounds tasty.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday ➑️
monotribes do this well also. basically just throw the lfo rate up into the audible range and play with shape, intensity, and cutoff. sounds tasty.
That does give vowel sounds, but it is not the same method we are talking about. It does however seem to be what is happening in the Poly800 video. It's done by modulating the filter cutoff by a fast oscillator. The Monotribe does this too.

I have been trying to get the sound in the original video out of my Monotribe, which only has one LPF. The same LPF as in the new MS20, I presume. While I have had no trouble getting it to say "awa", I have not been able to get it to say "aya" and "yoy", which I have only ever been able to do using two filters (or with filter cutoff FM as above).

If this really is possible with just the Korg LPF, how do you do it?

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday ➑️
That's a different kind of vocal effect.
This is more is the direction of "yah yah" or "yai yai" sort of vowels, which could be obtained, indeed, by audio rate fm. It's a more dirty kind of vocal effect. Kind of "hog" like, or talkbox effect.

The one done on the ms-20 is more in the direction of imitating formant filters.
πŸ“ Reply