Quantcast
The official Roland TB-303 Thread - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The official Roland TB-303 Thread
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

So how many TB-303 headz do we have here? This is by far my favorite machine.

So has your been modified? got any pictures please? Looking at getting mine modified but not having much luck getting a hold of Devilfish in Melbourne Australia.

Anyway thought this would be a good thread to discuss anything 303 share those pictures, share those crazy patterns as well for 2013. So post them up. I will as soon as I have some time.
Also I have attached a really cool PDF below just in case no body has come across it, it is a pattern sheet. I use it all the time. I got if from the web.

So Maybe someone can clear this up also, the filter is it a 3 pole 18db per octave or a 4-pole 24db per octave.
It seems some claim it is an 18db whilst others say it is a 24db?

Tb303_pattern_sheet.pdf
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I haven't got one but seriously tempted by a near mint one in eBay. Looks like it might go for €1400 though. Obviously that's crazy money but is that about market rate?
Anyway, they are the classic collectors item and everybody loves them. Not sure I could really take tha kind of plunge though.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb ➑️
I haven't got one but seriously tempted by a near mint one in eBay. Looks like it might go for €1400 though. Obviously that's crazy money but is that about market rate?
Anyway, they are the classic collectors item and everybody loves them. Not sure I could really take tha kind of plunge though.
Besides being a collectors item, for me it is taught me so much about the sound of the 90's and that early techno and house.
I love it, and i get crazy crazy synth lines out of it.

It is expensive but given the age I would say that is normal.
Some hate the sound then you have others like me who just love the sound.

All I need is this machine and my 909 and I am happy, you can have the rest.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have one and replaced the caps to get a deeper bass sound. my other 303 i sold a little more than a decade ago. i also have two x0xboxes.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➑️
All I need is this machine and my 909 and I am happy, you can have the rest.
a 303 and an 808 have gotten me thru brother.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 ➑️
i have one and replaced the caps to get a deeper bass sound. my other 303 i sold a little more than a decade ago. i also have two x0xboxes.

Love it and love it.
I have followed all your post Blinky and you know a thing or two about the 303.
Love your 303 lines by the way.
Can you confirm the filter thing?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i replaced C20 and C21 with 0.1 uF caps in 1998 - i still have the original 0.01 uF caps, just in case i don't like it.

here are some nice 303 lines for y'all

Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is what my Slut is up to currently.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i replaced C20 and C21 with 0.1 uF caps in 1998 - i still have the original 0.01 uF caps, just in case i don't like it.
Just in case right, like your thinking. well at least you have a backup.

Well I hope I can have mine modified soon.
Part of me does not want to part with it, but the Devilfish mods look and sound so good.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 ➑️
This is what my Slut is up to currently.

ahhhhhhhh
See that to me looks like heaven.

Well done and glad to see you have an MC-202 lying around. Genius synth.

I quite like the Boss Metalzone on the 303.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just in case right, like your thinking. well at least you have a backup.

Well I hope I can have mine modified soon.
Part of me does not want to part with it, but the Devilfish mods look and sound so good.
played with a DF modded 303 years ago. i prefer to sequence the Pro One with the 303 - much cheaper than a DF mod
Old 29th January 2013
Deleted User
2 x Quicksilver 303's + 606 (modded with separate outputs and a new brain)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
played with a DF modded 303 years ago. i prefer to sequence the Pro One with the 303 - much cheaper than a DF mod

Now post those 303 lines
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➑️

ahh this just crazy, not one but 2. You are a lucky man.

Good on you Syn303, it is obviously your favorite machine I take it.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got one...actually removed the MIDI "upgrade" to it. It's been professionally recapped and that's tighten up the bass and also seemed to quiet the VCA's little click at the beginning of each note.

Also have an Adfruit X0XB0X that sounds incredible. The only differences to me are that the filter cutoff response seems a to open up more between 2 an 6 o'clock while then 303 is a bit more even throughout the sweep. Also the X0X's timing just feels a little stiffer than the 303's. I always attributed that to age but even after recapping the 303 it still retained the groovyness it had.

The X0X still has great features...love the swing function...and it's a lot less to worry about when you play a club.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I liked acid music before I knew what its name is. Then later when I "got into synths" I thought the TBs are overpriced like hell. Then I bought a drumatix to compensate ,-). Several TB clones followed. Finalyl I snatched one some years ago. And until today, it is one of the most fun units I have. Totally love it and can understand that people get crazy. Have a xoxbox as well (with very nice mods) which I think sounds gorgeous, but the TB is the king of fun. For me, literally unreplacable. I actually have to restrain myself from looking them up, because if I see a nice one...arrgh it is really sad

Now, looneytune, what you HAVE to do, is get a quicksilver cpu into your machine. It completely retains the original charm but adds sooo much more. It is genius. And you won't need that patch sheet anymore ;-) (I still have a little booklet where I wrote down my stuff but I do not miss that part haha).

I hope one day the guy from quicksilver is doing something similar for the MC-202 one day...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Care to tell more about the "new brain" in the 606?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the QS upgrade is something i'm considering... some nice features. more info on the 606 brain replacement please
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➑️
Care to tell more about the "new brain" in the 606?
When it's announced i will, not before it. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Now post those 303 lines
the 303 is the obvious one, the Pro One isn't so obvious, but it is sequenced by the 303 (CV line requires a voltage divider)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When it's announced i will, not before it. heh

==> forward to 1.15 please
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Will check it out tonight

@Sirdss why did you remove the Midi upgrade? this would be a feature I would like to have. I have the little VCA Click you are talking about. The bass on my machine is very tight also however I am not sure it has been recapped though. Maybe it was at some point.
The grooveyness on these machine is just awesome. When you really pay attention to what is actually going on to a 16 step pattern you will hear the groovyness you talk about. Especially when synced to the 909.

@Schmuck Yes they are priced high, but seriously when you switch it on and you love the sound is it really that expensive?
I often look at these machines on Ebay, at one stage they were popping up everywhere however recently there is not all that many on the Bay. It goes up and down. I am looking for another one, you know why. Crazy but just in case the one I use daily breaks down. Could not part with this machine for to long.
The quicksilver seems very interesting but again I just cant part with the machine for the moment and I would not know how to install the upgrade myself. Wish I could.

I have actually spent the last 4 months getting to know this machine intimately along with the 909 and I think I have finally mastered the sequencer. Happy accidents yes.

Have you tried the battery trick?

Punch in a sequence, have the batteries installed. Turn it off from the power supply. Now run it on batteries for a few minutes. Take the batteries out and turn it back on to normal power without the batteries. The pattern you once had has just transformed it self into a new and crazy radical pattern. Yes mine does this. And trust me the patterns it gives me are just insane beyond imiganiation.
Not sure what happens but it works.

Try it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
the 303 is the obvious one, the Pro One isn't so obvious, but it is sequenced by the 303 (CV line requires a voltage divider)

will listen tonight for sure.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So...where do i stand then? Its been only in this recent year (2012-2013) that i've become addicted to the sound of a 303. I feel a bit of shame, i was born in 91, but wouldnt hear that squelchy goodness until now...missed entire decades i guess :(

Oh well...but really, that little box is something else indeed. Im often hard pressed NOT to include it in a track...i just love its sound, take off resonance, add some distortion and ive got a neat bass.

My favorite trick at the moment, has been to create a pattern in one pattern spot, then copy paste that pattern to 15 other locations...afterwards, i just decrease step length from 16 by 1 in each newly copied pattern, so pattern 2 is 15 steps, pattern 3 is 14 steps, and so on until the last pattern is 1 step long. Then, i treat each pattern as a sample, and place them end to end somewhat randomly for crazy effed up changes and sequences...i cant get enough of that!!! XD
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@Schmuck Yes they are priced high, but seriously when you switch it on and you love the sound is it really that expensive?
I often look at these machines on Ebay, at one stage they were popping up everywhere however recently there is not all that many on the Bay. It goes up and down. I am looking for another one, you know why. Crazy but just in case the one I use daily breaks down. Could not part with this machine for to long.
The quicksilver seems very interesting but again I just cant part with the machine for the moment and I would not know how to install the upgrade myself. Wish I could.
yes I agree money is very relative with these things, and Je ne regrette rien anyway.

If you are looking for another one, you might want to contact QS, they sometimes sell machines with the cpu already fitted.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon Cube ➑️
My favorite trick at the moment, has been to create a pattern in one pattern spot, then copy paste that pattern to 15 other locations...afterwards, i just decrease step length from 16 by 1 in each newly copied pattern, so pattern 2 is 15 steps, pattern 3 is 14 steps, and so on until the last pattern is 1 step long. Then, i treat each pattern as a sample, and place them end to end somewhat randomly for crazy effed up changes and sequences...i cant get enough of that!!! XD
Yes, or just a variant of yours with copying the note information and entering all different time information rather randomly. Ofen great ideas come from there (and its such fun I fully agree). It gave me a really different way of looking at monolines as well, with time and note so clearly separated (other sequencers take that even further of course but still, TB seq is very nice).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon Cube ➑️
So...where do i stand then? Its been only in this recent year (2012-2013) that i've become addicted to the sound of a 303. I feel a bit of shame, i was born in 91, but wouldnt hear that squelchy goodness until now...missed entire decades i guess :(

Oh well...but really, that little box is something else indeed. Im often hard pressed NOT to include it in a track...i just love its sound, take off resonance, add some distortion and ive got a neat bass.

I like this trick.

It is a very god way to add a little variation.

Must admit though for me I am happy with 1 driving 16 step pattern.

Have you tried the old switch of waves, works crazy in a breakdown, so switching from square to sawtooth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck ➑️
yes I agree money is very relative with these things, and Je ne regrette rien anyway.

If you are looking for another one, you might want to contact QS, they sometimes sell machines with the cpu already fitted.
Will check it out for sure.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I like this trick.

It is a very god way to add a little variation.

Must admit though for me I am happy with 1 driving 16 step pattern.
I like the single 16 step pattern drive when the sequence itself sounds good...like, for example, the main 303 in the song "Jack Me" by D.A.V.E the drummer and Kn...that sequence is top notch, even though it repeats a lot!

Quote:
Have you tried the old switch of waves, works crazy in a breakdown, so switching from square to sawtooth
Have thought about it, but havent done it yet, im still an acid/303 novice...but have experimented with changing the tuning in parts of a song to create a new sound from just one machine still playing.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Looneytune, I didn't realize you work for Roland, were authorized to represent Roland, or were able to secure permission from Roland to post "official" threads in community-driven forums on their behalf.
πŸ“ Reply