Quantcast
The official Roland TB-303 Thread - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The official Roland TB-303 Thread
Old 3rd January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It won't decrease the value at all. Unless it's totally trashed, they keep their values well. Which is still way too much! If you got one, use it! Don't baby it. Might as well have a TT at that point.
Old 3rd January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love how its got midi and effects. Oops wrong thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeroj
Exciting news that you might be getting a TB though - I got one in August and it took the edge off an absolutely rotten year for me.
Well this is the thing, owning a TB is on my bucket list and I figured 2017 may as well be the year.

But then reality strikes and I simply cannot pay 2,500EUR for it. My brain doesn't allow the finger to press the button.

The minty mint one above is exactly what i was after but I still cannot pay that much for it. I do hate being sensible, it's way overrated.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➡️
It won't decrease the value at all. Unless it's totally trashed, they keep their values well. Which is still way too much! If you got one, use it! Don't baby it. Might as well have a TT at that point.
a mint 303 like this one will always have higher value than one with heavy signs of usage.. it's not that I care since I'll never part with mine and financial value is relative of course, but if I would have spent 3,5k on a mint 303 I would always have in mind not to scratch the surface of the case with my fingernails while tweaking it.. apart from the fact, that I'd never spend more than 1,3k, no matter how it looks like. I am still worshiping the guy who sold me his 303 for the value he bought it for in the early 00s, otherwise I certainly still wouldn't have one looking at these prices..
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➡️
Well this is the thing, owning a TB is on my bucket list and I figured 2017 may as well be the year.

But then reality strikes and I simply cannot pay 2,500EUR for it. My brain doesn't allow the finger to press the button.

The minty mint one above is exactly what i was after but I still cannot pay that much for it. I do hate being sensible, it's way overrated.
get a re-303, honestly.. you know that I am really picky on sound differencies of clones, and I wouldn't recommend one and certainly wouldn't use one next or even instead of my 303 if it wouldn't do the job 100%.
or wait until you might be lucky to get a tb303 for a "normal" price, there are still opportunities from time to time.. these >2,5k € prices are a joke. on the opposite, if you have the money, you won't loose any, since it won't drop in value as acid hazard already said..
Old 21st July 2018 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHARMAKAYA ➡️
After using a relatively nice condition TB303 recently...have realized it's sort of similar to a delorian...chrome and silver...outdated...and VASTLY overvalued...

Would be cool to have a 303 with all NEW buttons, so it would actually be possible to sequence it correctly. Longer chrome knobs are also necessary. All things considered, it's a pretty toy basically. And yes a finicky, quirky toy that seems to prefer collaborating on sequences.

By the way, why does the timing sometimes change a lot when some parameters are changed in pitch mode?

Almost every time after adding accents and slides, basically was necessary to go back to timing mode and set it to 16th on notes.

Another thing noticed is slide didn't seem to bend up and down in a long slide when there were up and down transpositions.

Adding midi and sequencing from an app like ABL3 seems waaaaaaay better than sequencing directly.
didn't you post this same sh!t in the RE-303 thread?
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I got rid of my devil fish twice and ended up getting a Beast modded tb303 (from England) to go along with my Quicksilver modded tb303.
Attached Thumbnails
The official Roland TB-303 Thread-67760dc4-b310-409f-a22f-159f28a1e65a.jpg   The official Roland TB-303 Thread-3518045d-bc6f-4456-be35-c4bc30e92da6.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➡️
Besides being a collectors item, for me it is taught me so much about the sound of the 90's and that early techno and house.
I love it, and i get crazy crazy synth lines out of it.

It is expensive but given the age I would say that is normal.
Some hate the sound then you have others like me who just love the sound.

All I need is this machine and my 909 and I am happy, you can have the rest.
Ahem, cough..Splutter, cough, Ahem....back in 2013 it was...! Good for you Looney! I’m glad you got from here to where you are now Man!

TLB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult ➡️
the switchable din conector was often used in tapedecks of the 70´s for the german market... the 5 pin mni tuchel is a classical german audio connector..rather funny that it surrived as midi jack after the rca´s had wiped it from the hifi market and xlr connectors took over the german broadcast world..
Huh? 3-5-7-9 pin Din has been used for decades to control sync thru baud rates? I have no idea what you are talking about here though a mini TUCHEL connector was a near Film & Broadcast connection for Nagra systems and certain microphones.

5 pin Midi is Din (The German Standard) and was chosen by Sequential, Yamaha, Roland to name a few, as it was convenient and took easy access (I.E a developer standard that immediately usable) minus intensive IP payments, this made the 5 pin Din easy, simple and versatile and thus speedily it was adopted and could be implemented, for Midi and exactly for it’s 35K baud rate in throughput to MIDI data rates!

The very late 1980’s saw Microphone OEM’s use XLR’s for dynamics and P48 condensers though they actually never took over the German Broadcast or Euro Audio sectors which were pre wired TUCHEL years back? Even “Markets back then such as Danner Connections” and other proprietary standards, still reigned into the late 1980’s. If your talking about Misinformation then the above is truly Misinformation and totally Misleading! Perhaps you’ve mistakenly worded something incorrectly here!
For a Tech?
Hmmmm!
Deleted 48a4a93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➡️
didn't you post this same sh!t in the RE-303 thread?
he is on a mission ^^
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone comment on the TB-03 sequencing and features vs the TB-303? I know the sound isn't there (athough the rubbery low rez sqr notes are nice) but I'm thinking of driving a squelchy synth from the TB-03 sequencer CV and gate outputs.
Old 22nd July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, paying 2500 euro for a quirky unreliable toy would REALLY foolish.

Knobs on a 303 are too short also. Use that as an excuse...aside from the ridiculous sequencer.

Yesterday was playing a matrixbrute. Wow...that is an EPIC machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
By the way, paying 2500 euro for a quirky unreliable toy would REALLY foolish.

Knobs on a 303 are too short also. Use that as an excuse...aside from the ridiculous sequencer.

Yesterday was playing a matrixbrute. Wow...that is an EPIC machine.
A) You have no idea how much I earn and whether or not that money is a lot to me;
B) Don’t tell me how to spend my money.
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
A) You have no idea how much I earn and whether or not that money is a lot to me;
B) Don’t tell me how to spend my money.
...and:

C) Find something better to do when the Fortnite Servers are down for maintenance and leave the adults to talk.

Has anyone here without DIY tendencies bought a ready built RE-303?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip ➡️
...and:

C) Find something better to do when the Fortnite Servers are down for maintenance and leave the adults to talk.

Has anyone here without DIY tendencies bought a ready built RE-303?
Yes I bought one from Decoder.
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
Yes I bought one from Decoder.
You happy with it, Mush?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
<Deleted by Mod>
Dude, spouting off like that just isn’t cool. Take it somewhere else. If you don’t like 303’s stay away from the thread.

It’s no excuse to be tossing expletives around and it’s behaviour like yours that’s making this place a hostile environment.

Peace.

Last edited by Synth Guru; 22nd July 2018 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Insulting
Deleted User
Quote:
By the way, paying 2500 euro for a quirky unreliable toy would be REALLY foolish.
can't be that unreliable, most 303's have been going without a problem for the past 36 years. like mine have.
Deleted User
Quote:
I appreciate informative and much more friendly reply.
yes, but you need to stop being hostile in this thread, or the mods will be on your ass sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Are slides and tied notes identical?
in a sense, no! the difference is that a slide will bend in pitch to the next note in the pitch table for a 1/16th duration, whereas a tie will sustain the current note in the pitch table.

best reading robin whittle's page TB-303 Slide
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
LOL..why acting like a defensive little biatch? "mushy mushy" already basically stated that would be more than he is comfortable spending on it.

If such a fanboy of "decoder303" and his subversive marketing tactics (as this is obviously still lingering associative butthurt mushy mushy is showing), then give him a hj or something instead of making such comments here. If really care about him, then a bj is a better way to show love.
Forgive me for not replying properly, I prefer to have my conversations with adults.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 80b9b09 ➡️
You happy with it, Mush?
Yeah absolutely love it. I still like and use my TT’s but it’s hard to explain re the RE. It doesn’t sound like an instrument, more like a living breathing creature. I know it’s an overused word but the whole thing just interacts in such an organic way.
Deleted 48a4a93
Quote:

Basically part of the reason sequencing accurately seems challenging on some original 303 units is because of the unreliable buttons.

Sometimes timing seems changed after that last pitch mode (unrelated to slides). Seems like it is buggy, although maybe it is a "feature". Why does that happen?

Thanks in advance!
I am also offering service and repair for TBs, you can contact me and I'll get your 303 fully functional again (hope that wasn't too subversive)
Deleted 48a4a93
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➡️
Anyone comment on the TB-03 sequencing and features vs the TB-303? I know the sound isn't there (athough the rubbery low rez sqr notes are nice) but I'm thinking of driving a squelchy synth from the TB-03 sequencer CV and gate outputs.
I've never had a TB-03 but what I've read is that it has 2 sequencer modes, the original way of doing it and a more "modern" approach maybe a bit like the x0xb0x sequencer? I guess you can't go wrong with it if you are after a 303 style sequencer for external gear with the addition of a relatively nice 303 emulation on board.

Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 48a4a93 ➡️
but what I've read is that it has 2 sequencer modes, the original way of doing it and a more "modern" approach maybe a bit like the x0xb0x sequencer?
from what i heard Roland had used a quicksilvered 303 for the more modern approach, as you don't have to stop the sequencer when programming a line.

anyway on the subject of the 303, anyone ever noticed in this old advert, there was a TS-404 using the TB-303 style sequencer. but apparently the number 4 is bad luck in Japan! pronounced 'Shi' which means "death" so looks like the TS-404 was never made.

Deleted 48a4a93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 ➡️
from what i heard Roland had a quicksilvered 303 for the more modern approach, as you don't have to stop the sequencer when programming a line.

anyway on the subject of the 303, anyone ever noticed in this old advert, there was a TS-404 using the TB-303 style sequencer. but apparently the number 4 is bad luck in Japan! and looks like the TS-404 was never made.

yeah, someone posted that ad on fb recently, a TS-404 would definitely have been a cool machine (from todays view ^^).. they probably didn't realize it after the tb flopped since people couldn't get along with its sequencer..
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
is it possible to send accent over cv?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
is roland ts404 going to be a thing now? kickstarter?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
and you don't think you're getting spoofed ?

Retro Synth Ads: Roland TR-606 Drumatix drum machine and TS-404 Multitrax sequencer ad, Keyboard 1983
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
what kind of sound could we expect to hear from the headphone and output sockets?
Old 22nd July 2018
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Is that TS-404 brochure real? What would be the purpose of the headphone and output jack on a sequencer?

Edit: Notice the date on the Retro Synth Ads article... April 1st
📝 Reply