Quantcast
Nord Lead 2 vs 2x vs 3.. Midi Functionality - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nord Lead 2 vs 2x vs 3.. Midi Functionality
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Nord Lead 2 vs 2x vs 3.. Midi Functionality

So I had the pleasure of borrowing a NL2 this weekend and I can say that I absolutely loved it except for 1 thing, the MIDI. I was constantly having to hit the panic button because the MIDI notes I was sending from Ableton -> Motu FastTrack -> NL2, were getting stuck a lot.

My computer is very new and quite strong and the sound card I was using (Focusrite Scarlett) did not have MIDI outs. I have tried using the MIDI in/outs on various other sound cards and have had stuck note issues with them which is why I decided to stick with my Motu FastTrack 2x2, which has seemed stable for years.

I was left to conclude that there is something awry about the MIDI functionality on the NL2 and I would like to know:

1) Can anyone say that the MIDI functionality of the NL2x or 3 is more stable?
2) Is there another MIDI interface that would remedy this issue when used with the NL2?
3) Do I just need to suck it up and deal with stuck notes when trying to send MIDI data to a Nord Lead (any version)?
4) Am I asking the wrong questions to begin with?
Old 29th January 2013
Deleted 0fc8128
Are you sure the NL2 had the latest version? I never have problems with mine like you did.
Old 29th January 2013
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've owned a NL2 for about 12 years and don't recall ever once having a stuck MIDI note.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Perhaps a MIDI loop?
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➑️
Are you sure the NL2 had the latest version? I never have problems with mine like you did.
Latest version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 ➑️
I've owned a NL2 for about 12 years and don't recall ever once having a stuck MIDI note.
Are you sending midi notes out of Ableton or something similar? What's your signal chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signifier ➑️
Perhaps a MIDI loop?
Midi Loop? What do you mean?
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyentific ➑️
Are you sending midi notes out of Ableton or something similar? What's your signal chain?
Yes, Cubase. Current configuration is NL2 MIDI IN from Midisport 8x8 -> USB computer. I have also used the NL2 for years with an MPC2000xl.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Since we're on the topic of the various nord leads, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to whether a 2 and 3 together would compliment each other nicely, or overlap too much to be justified.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yah, still rocking the nl2 since 98'. I think I used the panic button once. Lol. I would check to see if you have a midi loop, or even perhaps you may have recorded some automation that puts the amp release at 127? Mine's always been solid on midi.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotronik ➑️
Yah, still rocking the nl2 since 98'. I think I used the panic button once. Lol. I would check to see if you have a midi loop, or even perhaps you may have recorded some automation that puts the amp release at 127? Mine's always been solid on midi.
Ok, now two of you have stumped me on "midi loop." I looked it up and didn't find anything relating to stuck notes.

There was no automation recorded. I am just trying to send very simple MIDI note instructions to get the Nord to play a few notes while I tweak the filter cutoff. This happens over and over again even with a fresh reboot of the CPU and the Nord. Even with a brand new Ableton project. I am constantly having to hit the panic button.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
never a problem with mine.

ps - there is to be something new from clavia at messe - "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots" see the end of the clip below from NAMM

WNAMM13:Nord Electro 4 Video - YouTube

at 3m43s

Old 29th January 2013
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not sure if there were ever any known issues with a particular OS. 1.06 is the last revision.

Try a different MIDI cable if you haven't.
πŸ“ Reply