Advice for someone getting into production - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for someone getting into production
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Advice for someone getting into production

Hey There,

So originally I am a drummer but I am looking to get into electronic music production but I want to combine my drumming with some music. What I am hoping to do is record myself playing and using software combine it all to make music. To get an idea it's in the vein of Kruder and Dorfmeister's trans fatty acid where i'll play some piano and drums and add some more intense electro.
But obviously I don't want to invest a huge amount into this sort of thing as its a hobby so I'm looking for some advice on what to spend my money on..

(SUMMARY)
I was thinking about using ableton live to record the drums, editing the track and then jamming over the drums with a MIDI keyboard but don't know what keyboard to buy - I like the look of the Arturia Factory 49 and also the Minibrute but thats a synth mainly (can it be used to achieve the same things as the 49?) and if I get that will I need to get a MIDI interface?
I currently have the drums, a good PC, an mbox 2 audio interface and some mics.
Where's a good first step?
Thanks,
T
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Budget?

And do you already own/use Ableton Live or are you looking for advice on which software to buy as well?

Also the MBox 2 has MIDI in/outs so you won't need a seperate MIDI interface.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I guess my budget would be nothing more expensive than the minibrute so $500 and no I don't already have the software, I just figured ableton would be a smart choice for what I'm doing.. i'm on windows.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Live would eat up a good chunk of your budget. If you have an MBox, don't you already have ProTools LE or something? Several controller keyboards come with "lite" versions of DAWs - with the added bonus that it's usually cheaper to upgrade to a more full-featured version if you already have the lite version.

A Minibrute has an USB connector as well so you don't even need to use the MIDI on your Mbox. It's just that 25 keys aren't that much if you want to play actual piano pieces.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It's an old mbox from like pro tools 6 or something for windows xp and the codes no longer work so i'd have to pay for PT anyways.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Most professional DAW packages would use most or all of that budget. One of the exceptions is Reaper, which can be had for only $60 (for a limited commercial licence - good for up to $20k revenue/year and/or non-commercial use). Reaper handles audio recording quite well. The caveat with Reaper is it doesn't come with much in the way of software instruments/synths, but there are a lot of free or inexpensive options there.

The other option is like Yoozer said, buy a MIDI controller that is bundled with a 'lite' version of a DAW.
πŸ“ Reply