Quantcast
Crazy basseline. How? ms-2k? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Crazy basseline. How? ms-2k?
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Crazy basseline. How? ms-2k?

I havent gotten any response in the HipHop forum so maybe someone here could help me out.

Here the original thread

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...ggla-bass.html
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Get a MS-20 mini and thank me later. (Or almost any cheap analog mono synth).
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What is your takes on the layers and types of waveforms used in each? Any sound design ideas?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Sine + pulse (PWM from an LFO) through a low pass filter nearly closed.

Edit: But the MS-20 mini doesn't have PWM.

Just experiment with sines, triangles, squares, for the waveforms.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On the braille song it sounds like he has a sub bassline layered with another sawish waveform. Perhaps what you suggest. I will try that out.

But then he has a 16th note run for a bar with another bass synth. Any ideas on that synth? I Love it. It sounds so grimey and analog. Sounds real punchy and has a short release.

I dont see a moog voyager or a ms 2000 doing this. The moog is to smooth and the ms 2000 is not that thick.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➑️
On the braille song it sounds like he has a sub bassline layered with another sawish waveform. Perhaps what you suggest. I will try that out.

But then he has a 16th note run for a bar with another bass synth. Any ideas on that synth? I Love it. It sounds so grimey and analog. Sounds real punchy and has a short release.

I dont see a moog voyager or a ms 2000 doing this. The moog is to smooth and the ms 2000 is not that thick.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS20mini
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was going to get the real MS-20. Do you think the mini is better? I thought that the mini was just a controller for the legacy cell software?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was going to get the real MS-20. Do you think the mini is better? I thought that the mini was just a controller for the legacy cell software?
It is real. It's not the legacy controller. It's analog.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
Sine + pulse (PWM from an LFO) through a low pass filter nearly closed.

Edit: But the MS-20 mini doesn't have PWM.

Just experiment with sines, triangles, squares, for the waveforms.

Does the original Ms-20 from the 70s have PWM or is the mini still the better choice for todays music?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Does the original Ms-20 from the 70s have PWM or is the mini still the better choice for todays music?
Neither have it. I use a different synth that has it.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ancient chinese secret I take it? LOL. You using a VST?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ancient chinese secret I take it? LOL. You using a VST?
Nope.

Eurorack modular
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn dude. From what I see you build your synth with various modules. Your hardcore. I will not take your recommendation of the mini lightly. Thankx
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
Neither have it. I use a different synth that has it.
Hey man. I assume you heard a original MS-20 before. I mess with one. Im not a synth geek but I got some good tones out of it but really I was impressed by the bass tones and low end sounds. It has a very punchy,aggresive and ground shaking low end; unlike any other synth I have heard.

The mini looks awesome. Especially the midi capabilities because Im no real player,but Im concerned that it doesnt have the same low end and charactr of the original. It says its 86% the size but Im not sure if thats just size or circuitry too. Its made to be cleaner,but with analog Im not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Dirty is usually a part of the character of most older synths that make them what they were. Cleaner can mean more sterile. For example Ihave a voyager but its never quite satisfied me as the Model D.

My question is have you heard both the original and mini and does the mini have the sam powerfull low end as the original?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Actually, no. I haven't used either.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The mini was just announced a week or so ago and nobody has heard it yet, but Korg claims that it will have the same circuitry as the original and that they have cut no corners trying to replicate it, and have not tried to "modernize" it at all, in order to keep it true to the original.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➑️
The mini was just announced a week or so ago and nobody has heard it yet, but Korg claims that it will have the same circuitry as the original and that they have cut no corners trying to replicate it, and have not tried to "modernize" it at all, in order to keep it true to the original.
I didnt know it was only a week ago. But they did mention in the demo that they changed something to reduce noise,"make it cleaner".

Usually most of the beloved synths are inheritly noisey. Thats what makes them imperfect and "warm". Most synths have white noise as a additive to create harmonic character.

But I gotta say the price tag and midi option makes it very appealing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I didnt know it was only a week ago. But they did mention in the demo that they changed something to reduce noise,"make it cleaner".

Usually most of the beloved synths are inheritly noisey. Thats what makes them imperfect and "warm". Most synths have white noise as a additive to create harmonic character.

But I gotta say the price tag and midi option makes it very appealing.
I have had 2 MS20s (1 with each filter revision) and bought the MS20 Mini the day it went on presale. Killer price, and it sounds close enough to me from the very brief demos. I am stoked on it personally. Would much rather get one of these guys and save a grand for something more substantial than a tiny difference in sound from the original.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➑️
I have had 2 MS20s (1 with each filter revision) and bought the MS20 Mini the day it went on presale. Killer price, and it sounds close enough to me from the very brief demos. I am stoked on it personally. Would much rather get one of these guys and save a grand for something more substantial than a tiny difference in sound from the original.
Can You email or posted any examples of it in its lowest range with saw waves?

So the low end is just as powerfull?
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can You email or posted any examples of it in its lowest range with saw waves?

So the low end is just as powerfull?
Nobody knows yet, they wont ship for months. search "mini ms20" on youtube and see what you find, hear for yourself.
Old 2nd February 2013
It's mangled from some synth.

Few things I noticed.

1) does not have a heavy analog mid range presence
2) thick and boomy without sounding heavy analog thick and boomy

Oddly enough the Moog has this quality unlike a Poly like a Roland

Also it has a VA mid range like a virus.

Considering the popularity at the time I'd bet it might be one or the other or both. Really think that growl sounds like a Virus though.
πŸ“ Reply