Quantcast
OBERHEIM OB-Xa - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OBERHEIM OB-Xa
Old 8th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am really interested to disconnect the upper voice tray to get more output gain from the remaining 4 voices , is it a simple task to do ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can turn the 8 voices on and off on the dip switches quite easy

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, but it will not do the 6dB boost trick. The OB-Xa must think it is a real 4 voice I guess. The dip switches just skips the voice in the round robin, the background noise from that voice will still be active so the dip switches is not the answer, sorry. We are talking to disconnect the upper voiceboard completely.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you disconnect the upper voices you won't be able to do splits or layers anymore...
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know , but the noise floor is very high when doing basses with little high end , then the trick to disconnect the upper voicetray is great to boost the signal 6dB AND to get rid of the background noise of 4 voices.
From what I understand it is very easy to disconnect so you can do it in 30 seconds or so...just when you are going to print the bassline etc. Then you just connect it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
and a tip in use: OBXa has relatively low signal output compared to JP8 or OBX etc. of all the analogs i got, it absolutely loves going into a nice discrete preamp with transformers (like my Great River NV). i usually drive the transformer into sat a little bit. it gets the colour of the synth closer to those old records (where it went thru a lot of that in tracking and finally end on tape), by softening the buzz of the CEMs a tad. another thing i do, if im not going to use a sound for more than 4 poly, i disconnect the upper voicetray... voila!! the signal becomes 6dB stronger and bigger.. its all nice subtle variations u use during tracking stage.

it will be burried with me. nuff said.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hi Firechild, sure thing. its easy, i keep the side screws on OBXa open all the time so i can lift the "hood" at any given time. then soon as you open it, you will see a power connector on the far right hand side, on upper 4-voice tray.. easy to remove , just pull it upwards. you can do it even while synth is working. you will hear the sound jump in volume immediately. and use the mono output, of course.

that being said, my OBXa doesn't exhibit extraneous noise, regardless how many voices i use. if a unit does sound noisy, it's a sure sign it needs its PSU and/or voiceboards refreshed with new capacitors, and also re-checked voltages on PSU, and other things as per Real MC's explanation. i replaced all caps with 105c instead of 85c.

here's how mine sounds for comparison: www.babic.com/SYN/obxa.htm

(i did another rehaul 7 yrs after these demos, with panasonic audio caps - courtesy of Roginator my tech friend)

regards
Tom
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It worked, I just removed the powerconnector to the upper voiceboard and the signal became slightly louder, meaning the signal to noise improved a bit, not 6dB but 2-3 dBs so , yes it worked. However The OB-Xa still had a round robin on 8 voices for me, so I just pressed the double button and I had a round robin trip on 4 voices. However as I have the upper board panned left and lower board right I could use the Right output instead of the monooutput as I found the right output had better signal to noise than the mono jack. But to sum it up...The noise floor was still at the same level though but the output was higher so Great tip!
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
here's how mine sounds for comparison: www.babic.com/SYN/obxa.htm
not a trace of unwanted noise there, just goes to show a well maintained vintage synth can sound great - your demo's confirm everything I've ever suspected, the Xa is a really upfront synth that really lends itself to soundtrack style music.

really hope I can own a Xa one day.
Old 1st August 2017
Here for the gear

OB Bender Board Knobs - how to reinstall?

I overhauled my ob-xa and it's great to hear her make beautiful sounds again.

Does anyone know how to reattach the bender board knobs? They don't seem to stay put.

📝 Reply