Quantcast
who would be interested in a full featured drum sampler/layer/synth plug-in? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
who would be interested in a full featured drum sampler/layer/synth plug-in?
View Poll Results: what do you think?
instabuy
1 Votes - 6.25%
I can dig it
4 Votes - 25.00%
ehhhh
3 Votes - 18.75%
no
8 Votes - 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th January 2013
who would be interested in a full featured drum sampler/layer/synth plug-in?

this might sound a bit crazy but I would really like to try and design my own drum sampler and see if any companies are interested in trying out my idea

it would be something with drum layering as it's main priority, letting you build your own drums with a single plug-in

this would have with tabbed layers (not regular akai sampler style pads like you see in most drum samplers)

each eave would have a full wave view and graphic spline amp envelope on top, elastic audio with pitch or regular pitching (also with spline envelope), full featured bitrate reducer for vintage sampler emulation or just plain destruction (a la Decimort), full featured graphic EQ with spectrum analyzer (a la Pro-Q), a decent clean compressor, tape/tube/console saturation (a la Saturn) and a couple send effects (plate/room/hall reverb and delay)

it could be a drum synthesizer too, giving each layer the ability to synthesize the low end or snap for a kick, the noise tails for a snare, etc
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this kind of exists already. maybe not with all the bells and whistles you suggest but you can bet the people who make drum plug ins already have all these ideas.

doesn't hurt to make feature suggestions though.

when you think about maschine, drum spillage, tremor, battery, nerve, geist, live's drum racks, and especially twister tools s-layer etc.. there really is nothing you can't do already..

it's quite easy to layer drums and apply envelopes and effects.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You got your fav (Drum) Sampler
You got your fav Bitcrusher
You got your fav synths
You got your fav fx

Don't think a new all-in will beat them.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog ➑️
You got your fav (Drum) Sampler
You got your fav Bitcrusher
You got your fav synths
You got your fav fx

Don't think a new all-in will beat them.
the point of this is to be somewhat as flexible like Ableton's drum racks but in any DAW

ultimately the best would be to have a drum sampler that you can load your own effects plug-ins to
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Its called ableton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Speaking of monstrous plugins...

MOTU.com - MachFive 3
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E ➑️

MOTU.com - MachFive 3
looks pretty sweet

MOTU offered me Match 5 when I worked for them doing a track for their last year's NAMM presentation

too bad they didn't hit me up this year!
Old 29th January 2013
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Most of the features you list are already part of Battery 3, and what made that program an instabuy for me.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➑️
Most of the features you list are already part of Battery 3, and what made that program an instabuy for me.
yeah, but only sort of
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael E ➑️

MOTU.com - MachFive 3
unfortunately iLok

i'd buy instantly if it wasn't iLok
Old 30th January 2013
stupid idea then I suppose, nevermind
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Not sure I think its quite a cool idea actually...but it would still need to work with a 4x4 pad arrangement because a lot of people use drum pads...

Also - a built in sequencer like Nerve would be ideal

If you could work something like that out where the EQ, and other processing elements were of high quality and each pad could have its own individual out - I think it would be cool.

None of the plugins mentioned can really do this in a easy, creative and workflow positive way...Nerve is the best IMO at the mo overall

Ive actually been designing a sampler in my head over these last few months...dont have a clue on how to get it built tho...
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
well the point of it would be to let you make your own drums in a single plug-in, not make a drum kit with a sequencer, there's enough of those already

this would be a drum design tool for single multi-layer drum hits

kind of like Metrum by Vengeance Sound but for snares too
Old 30th January 2013
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The idea is excellent, just not entirely new. But I'm not really sure there are many options out there that does all this either. I went with Battery because it was the only one I knew that did (most of) it.
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 15 years
check out geist!
Old 30th January 2013
well the point of it would be to let you make your own drums in a single plug-in, not make a drum kit with a sequencer, there's enough of those already

this would be a drum design tool for single multi-layer drum hits

kind of like Metrum by Vengeance Sound but for snares, toms and anything else as well

Old 25th February 2013
looks like Vengeance has answered my prayers!

this might be my ticket to move away from Live
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Linplug RMV combines drum synthesis modules with samples. I personally have enough drum synths with Microtonic, Tremor and now Ableton are having a crack too. Also live drum rack in live so I don't really have room for anything else unless its amazing.
Old 25th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
looks like Vengeance has answered my prayers!
only two sample layers (Sample A/B)? is that enough for you?

have you ever looked into something like 'MUX', Plogue's 'Bidule', etc? these are sort of modular VST environments which are very useful for making up custom configurations. you might be able to do a lot of what you're after with something like that. also, the MUX developer seems pretty open to suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➑️
only two sample layers (Sample A/B)? is that enough for you?

have you ever looked into something like 'MUX', Plogue's 'Bidule', etc? these are sort of modular VST environments which are very useful for making up custom configurations. you might be able to do a lot of what you're after with something like that. also, the MUX developer seems pretty open to suggestions.
I see are 6 two part samplers in one, that's more than enough for me

and I wasn't looking to make one myself but to design one, if I were to try anything I would try doing it in Reaktor
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
I see are 6 two part samplers in one, that's more than enough for me...
so layering two samples is enough for each sound, or you might use more than one part in an instance (on a kick, for example)?

i know you've explained you're workflow more than a few times, i just can't recall.

Quote:
... and I wasn't looking to make one myself but to design one, if I were to try anything I would try doing it in Reaktor
that's the thing - what i love so much about Live's drum racks is being able to insert 3rd party plug-ins on each instrument individually. i just got Geist, but i'm looking into using its individual outs in Live so that i can get more flexible control over each sound in a kit. i'm generally not content with built-in fx, or i'd like to do more with them.

NI's Maschine is pretty nice, as it lets you load (up to three) 3rd party fx per channel in a similar fashion. it does have its own limitations though.
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
motu bpm
Quote:
you might use more than one part in an instance (on a kick, for example)?
I'd definitely use more than one part for kicks and snares

Quote:
that's the thing - what i love so much about Live's drum racks is being able to insert 3rd party plug-ins on each instrument individually. i just got Geist, but i'm looking into using its individual outs in Live so that i can get more flexible control over each sound in a kit. i'm generally not content with built-in fx, or i'd like to do more with them.
yeah, that's the main thing making me uneasy about leaving Live, but I long for a proper mixing environment and I rather stick to a singe DAW

Quote:
NI's Maschine is pretty nice, as it lets you load (up to three) 3rd party fx per channel in a similar fashion. it does have its own limitations though.
look pretty cool, but the sampler looks quite limited with only attack and decay... plus I rather stay away from hardware although I wouldn't mind the mikro
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
@ ohmicide: where'd you find that VPS Phalanx info? I haven't heard anything about it. Do you know when-ish it comes out. Looks great...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi PHi ➑️
@ ohmicide: where'd you find that VPS Phalanx info? I haven't heard anything about it. Do you know when-ish it comes out. Looks great...
https://www.facebook.com/VengeanceSound?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lolz @ $200 for Metrum. this new one looks very nice, hopefully it won't cost $500.
Quote:
lolz @ $200 for Metrum. this new one looks very nice, hopefully it won't cost $500.
well to be fair, it does come with a ton of "construction samples" which actually seem pretty interesting to me, so $150 for the plug-in and $50 for samples?

Phalanx looks pretty awesome but I can't help but feel like I'd still end up wanting Memtrum for the kick construction samples and the built in osc
Old 25th February 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ableton's drum racks have me hooked, line, and sunk. Like a fish on a hook.

I am trying desperately to go back to using Cubase exclusively, but I can't seem to shake off my addiction to drum racks, effect racks, and just the overall ease of use when laying down sketchpad ideas in Ableton.

I still use Battery 3 a lot, but often find myself building custom drum racks for all kinds of things from vocal chops, to custom resampled synths, to drums.

If I can find an alternative to drum racks I will be one step closer to leaving Ableton finally.
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev ➑️
Ableton's drum racks have me hooked, line, and sunk. Like a fish on a hook.

I am trying desperately to go back to using Cubase exclusively, but I can't seem to shake off my addiction to drum racks, effect racks, and just the overall ease of use when laying down sketchpad ideas in Ableton.

I still use Battery 3 a lot, but often find myself building custom drum racks for all kinds of things from vocal chops, to custom resampled synths, to drums.

If I can find an alternative to drum racks I will be one step closer to leaving Ableton finally.
I mainly only use it for drums, I'm starting to like the idea of doing this straight to audio, at least for snares

Memtrum is starting to look really good to me, only downside is that requires an eLicenser so I wouldn't get it unless I decided to switch to Cubase
Old 6th February 2014
Lives for gear

I was seeing if anyone is using Phalanx.........

BTW.....I use Metrum to layer snares, hats, kicks, claps are glorious.......you can load your own samples. In fact the browser is 100x better than Logic's browser/player.

The fx/eq on it are lame, but it has full midi implementation with the ability to gauge the response to variance in velocity, pitch, and note length. The graphical envelopes are great, with an amp and pitch envelope per layer, and then as a whole.

So did you get Phalanx?
πŸ“ Reply