What V/Oct to Hz/V converters are on the market

Just saw this:

Kenton CV to Hz/V board

but is discontinued
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It's probably discontinued because their current midi-to-cv converters also support Hz/v.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai ➑️
It's probably discontinued because their current midi-to-cv converters also support Hz/v.
exactly.

all you need is a kenton pro solo or pro 2000

also, there's an elby synth module for eurorack that does it as well.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pro solo only does hz/v to midi , pro 2000 can do hz/v to v/oct but is much more $$
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The antilog converter would be the right thing I guess:

Should it be very difficult to build?
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
Pro solo only does hz/v to midi , pro 2000 can do hz/v to v/oct but is much more $$
Can you explain how that would work? I'm interested in getting an MS-20 Mini to interface with my V/Oct semi-modular gear (SEM, Dark Energy, Dark Time, etc) and have a Kenton Pro 2000 mk II. I definitely understand how I can SEND Hz/V but not CONVERT it, as the Kenton doesn't have any CV inputs. I'm hoping to be able to use the MS-20 Mini keyboard without needing USB MIDI since I often work without a computer. Thanks.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well if you find a DIY project with instructions hook up
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm guessing you would have to setup Channel A to receive CV/Gate and channel B to output into MS-20, I never used it btw, but I heard it can be done
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess with the Pro Solo you could receive CV/Gate and output into MS-20's MIDI
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm guessing you would have to setup Channel A to receive CV/Gate and channel B to output into MS-20, I never used it btw, but I heard it can be done
Receive CV/GATE? But without CV inputs, how is this possible? I've been trying to figure out how to integrate the MS-20 Mini into my rig and still be able to use the keyboard with my V/Oct gear. Since the keyboard outputs Hz/V the only solution I've been able to work out is to use USB MIDI from the MS-20 keyboard going via computer into the Kenton which would then simply be converting MIDI into CV. But I'd rather not have to use a computer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
Receive CV/GATE? But without CV inputs, how is this possible? I've been trying to figure out how to integrate the MS-20 Mini into my rig and still be able to use the keyboard with my V/Oct gear. Since the keyboard outputs Hz/V the only solution I've been able to work out is to use USB MIDI from the MS-20 keyboard going via computer into the Kenton which would then simply be converting MIDI into CV. But I'd rather not have to use a computer.
take the MS-20's Hz/V output into the Kenton Channel A and then set Channel B to output CV/Gate in v/oct
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
take the MS-20's Hz/V output into the Kenton Channel A and then set Channel B to output CV/Gate in v/oct
Sorry, but I've never heard of connecting one CV output to another CV output. You yourself admitted you'd never done this before but I can predict what would have happened had you tried. It wouldn't have worked!

Channels A and B on the Kenton are both CV outputs as are the other six AUX jacks. All outputs. The only input is for MIDI. So it would seem the only workaround (that doesn't involve additional gear) would be to use USB MIDI if you want to trigger and properly track V/Oct synths from the MS-20 Mini's keyboard.

Still, I appreciate the effort to help!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you could use the kenton usb host thing instead of a computer...it basically just acts like a computer and outputs on midi jacks...
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/ite...usb-host.shtml

though honestly i think building that circuit above from the ms-02 is probably the way i'd go, but i'm in DIY modular land these days so don't mind me...I've already built myself a gate -> s-trig cable for ms-20, so I'm already half way there. Though I doubt you could fit that ms-02 circuit inside of the jack like I did with the strig cable!

btw are we even sure the new ms-20 mini doesn't have midi ports? I've not seen a picture of the back yet...(edit, just saw the korg site, I guess it's only got midi in. Well, I guess there's still hoping there's another jack inside which isn't wired up or something like the monotribe! Hah)
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think the FutureRetro Mobius had this ability although it is discontinued. Perhaps you could find one used. I have no direct experience using it but I recall that was one of the features that was touted.
Old 29th January 2013

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This unit will do hz to v, from the new ms20 thread in case you missed it:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8690309-post299.html

If you don't have a rack already, you just need a box and a power supply
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yes, this is it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
not sure what you're talking about.

kenton pro solo and pro 2000 both do midi to CV conversion so you can control an analog synth via midi.. so, midi from your sequencer, for example, turns into CV via the kenton which plugs into your analog synth.. whatever it is.

the kentons will do hz/v, V/oct, S-trig as well.

i used a kenton pro solo to control an MS-20 over ten years ago w/o any issues.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon ➑️
not sure what you're talking about.

kenton pro solo and pro 2000 both do midi to CV conversion so you can control an analog synth via midi.. so, midi from your sequencer, for example, turns into CV via the kenton which plugs into your analog synth.. whatever it is.

the kentons will do hz/v, V/oct, S-trig as well.

i used a kenton pro solo to control an MS-20 over ten years ago w/o any issues.
ok I thought that the pro 2000 can do hz/v to to oct/v conversion so I can control MS-20 from a CV/Gate sequencer and not MIDI, as it turns out this is not possible with the Kentons, they had such a device before apparently
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ok I thought that the pro 2000 can do hz/v to to oct/v conversion so I can control MS-20 from a CV/Gate sequencer and not MIDI, as it turns out this is not possible with the Kentons, they had such a device before apparently
oh i see. that makes sense.

i think you'd have to get the harvestman modular synth module for that. which would mean getting a small modular case (you can get a doepfer beauty case or just make your own and get a tiptop audio power supply)

the harvestman digital audio electronics | Facebook

Many good things were displayed at NAMM. To me, one of the most important was the new Korg MS-20 Mini. I played with it for a long time and enjoyed it very much. It is very close to my full-size model. The MS-20 itself is an electronic instrument of extreme cultural importance, being the tool that motivated the development of several significant electronic music styles. This new version, available to all at a very low price, can only mean good things for the further development of these styles, and modular synthesis technique in general.

Because of this impending instrument release, I announce with great satisfaction ENGLISH TEAR, the first in a line of small utility modules. This module features the expected "voltage processor" attenuverter and big offset knobs, but also includes a full set of functions for interfacing to an MS-20. Easy conversion from exponential volt-per-octave to linear hertz-per-volt and back, as well as V-trigger to S-trigger conversion. Jack normalling fixes the voltage processors to these converter circuits, so you may scale the input voltages as desired. The log/expo converter ciruits also have many other uses in your modular system beyond the conversion of pitched voltages.

Price? Cheaper than anything else I've done. It will be released when the MS-20 comes out. I was thinking of dropping it into the Zorlon/Donut production run scheduled for April, but if the MS is somehow released before that I can expedite the build.

Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was considering making reproductions of the Korg MS-02 for people -- even bought a real MS-02 for myself so I could test the repro against the original.

The English Tear is exactly what the doctor ordered though -- keep in mind that you'll need a power supply for it if you don't already own a modular.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️
I was considering making reproductions of the Korg MS-02 for people -- even bought a real MS-02 for myself so I could test the repro against the original.

The English Tear is exactly what the doctor ordered though -- keep in mind that you'll need a power supply for it if you don't already own a modular.
Make the MS-02, I'd rather get that than the module.
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Make the MS-02, I'd rather get that than the module.
bumping this to show my interest in an ms-02 as well
Old 19th September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
Did you ever pursue breadboarding this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️

Old 2nd January 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Also curious if you ended up doing the Ms02 clone.
Old 27th March 2021
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You don’t need a converter for the MS-20! Just plug your 1V/Oct source into the Freq input (-5/+5) and adjust Eg1/Ext under Frequency Modulation between 7-8 for tuning. That’s it!
πŸ“ Reply