Quantcast
My E-Mu E4XT Ultra just kicked the bucket. :-( - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My E-Mu E4XT Ultra just kicked the bucket. :-(
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
My E-Mu E4XT Ultra just kicked the bucket. :-(

She's hanging up during bootup with just the E-Mu logo showing on the left side of the screen. Already checked Emus on Acid for solutions and came up with squat, but figured posting here might be worth a shot for viable solutions. Reinstalled the OS, checked the RAM, and checked the connections already. I'm pretty much considering it to be dead in the water, so I'm really just looking more into alternatives. I love the Ultra samplers, but E-Mu's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth over the last few days (the IEC socket on my Virtuoso 2000 just completely came apart.) Looking at software solutions right now, but still seriously not liking the workflow when integrating software. Thinking of jumping ship and going with an Akai sampler, but still looking at staying with the Ultra series just because I sank a bunch of money into getting a hard drive with all the E-Mu libraries on it. Any ideas?
Old 28th January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also Emu software samplers to consider. Meaning to try these some time.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love Emu stuff but I was pretty dissapointed with the Emulator X.
It's such a pain to use.
You can't just import wave files, you have to convert them to Emu format first. Very annoying.
The filters aren't that great either.
I never tried the later versions though.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the last version X3 imports wave files as you would expect

filters are not bad , not quite the e4 hardware sound but quite close and better than the filters in halion or esx24 . and there are lots of the stranger z plane filters also

only problem is that its windows only
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Recap the psu. When the caps on there start getting below ideal and the 5v circuit becomes unstable and it make the software part of the thing go a bit doo doo. Bet it brings her back. My EIIIXP went loopy and started to scroll madly when on truncate page and refuse to sample off threshold. Everything else worked as normal. Recap psu = all good again.
Old 28th January 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️
It's such a pain to use.
You can't just import wave files, you have to convert them to Emu format first.
Was that the main annoyance? Damned lazy design for a soft sampler, but at least it's fixed now.

Quote:
The filters aren't that great either.
Hm, that was one of my prime interests in trying; filters, and modulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➡️
filters are not bad , not quite the e4 hardware sound but quite close ... and there are lots of the stranger z plane filters also
Is it fairly flexible in using the filters? Can it do morphing tricks?
Old 28th January 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
I'm pretty much considering it to be dead in the water, so I'm really just looking more into alternatives.
IMHO: more of the same.

Current ridicuolous prices make relatively unexpensive to use a pimped-up ULTRA and keep another, a basic one, for spare parts and replacements.

Service is available.

have yours fixed.

This is what I would do with my e5000 ultra [plenty of backup, of course, and a nearby service's phone number at the ready]
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➡️
Was that the main annoyance? Damned lazy design for a soft sampler, but at least it's fixed now.

Hm, that was one of my prime interests in trying; filters, and modulations.

There are heaps of little things that bother me, like the output level. Even after turning all faders to 100%, it is still too quiet. I have to put a limiter on it to hear it in a mix.
But mine is the first version, and I think the newer ones would have fixed most of those problems.
The X3 had some new features that looked really impressive, some cool manipulation stuff. But I doubt I will upgrade.
On a plus, I was fairly happy with the included sound library. All the basics, nice and dry, so you can really play with them.
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There are heaps of little things that bother me, like the output level. Even after turning all faders to 100%, it is still too quiet. I have to put a limiter on it to hear it in a mix.
But mine is the first version, and I think the newer ones would have fixed most of those problems.
The X3 had some new features that looked really impressive, some cool manipulation stuff.
Cool, thanks for the reply. I will try t check the latest version then.

Quote:
On a plus, I was fairly happy with the included sound library. All the basics, nice and dry, so you can really play with them.
One of my interests in the platform is also trying the Emu ROMs and presets. I think it is possible to buy soft versions of the Emu ROM library, for a much cheaper price than the hardware modules. I've not used the ROMs much, but they get mixed reviews, and buying them in hardware version is fairly costly.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

One of my interests in the platform is also trying the Emu ROMs and presets. I think it is possible to buy soft versions of the Emu ROM library, for a much cheaper price than the hardware modules. I've not used the ROMs much, but they get mixed reviews, and buying them in hardware version is fairly costly.
That reminds me of another bug bear I have with it. I have several old CD Roms that came with my Emulator 4K that is supposed to load in the Emulator X. Some nice disks too, including the Emulator 3 library. But every time I tried to load them I get a reading/conversion error.
There are heaps of EMU library CD's floating around that go pretty cheap, and they were VERY expensive to buy at the time. If you can get your hands on these, and they load up in the new version, you would be pretty happy I imagine.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Alright, now that I've had a minute to calm down and think about it... I'm gonna give the Emulator software a try. Trouble is that if I like it, then there's a whole other can of worms to deal with since I'm having trouble finding a way to comfortably fit software into my workflow (got a new computer, so I'm trying though!) Also, getting my library off that HD is gonna be a pain. I am thinking very strongly about just getting another Ultra, though. That thing isn't perfect in the least (my favorite trick with the ESI samplers doesn't work on the Ultra!!!) and it doesn't see near as much use as it should, but those things are just too powerful to go without. Plus as Robo mentioned, I can just pull all the parts for my E4XT out and stick it in an e6400 and essentially have a replacement E4XT on the cheap. I'd love to just get mine serviced, but I live in a bit of a podunk town, so no places around here to get service. Also I'd love to try recapping but man, I am dangerous with a soldering iron. True story: I've wrecked not one, not two, but THREE different synths just in changing out their batteries.

Thanks for the help, guise. You all helped me to put things into perspective. And thanks for not mentioning going with Akai since I probably would have taken the bait and done it.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

it pretty much does the same thing as the e4 , mod matrix etc . it loads e4 patches , synth engine is essentially the same
📝 Reply