Quantcast
Some NAMM opinions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Some NAMM opinions
Old 27th January 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Some NAMM opinions

Hello! Sitting here at NAMM eating a $9 Wrap that's full of brown lettuce and something else that looks like its suppose to be something. I've been had. I thought I'd keep myself occupied and share a few measly little opinions.

So I spent about 20 minutes on the Prophet 12. I'm sure I didn't even scratch the surface of this thing within that 20 minutes. However I walked away feeling the exact same way I always feel after I try something from DSI for the first
Time. Basically, trying to convince myself that there must be something great in their that I just didn't find. And it's most likely possible that that's the case. Regardless after 20 minutes I left without hearing anything that moved me.

Now those Boomstars were a different story. I only heard the 4075 and 303 clones. I thought they sounded really good. For the price I think those things will sell like crazy. Well worth the money IMO.

Moon Modulars has an Oscillator and Filter that will get released soon. They also sounded really good. It was hard to tell just how good thanks to the booth next door.

That Archangel Sequencer is pretty damn cool too! Of you're thinking of buying a sequencer I'd wait. Sounds like they'll be available in 1/4inch, banana, and Eurorack jacks.

If I hear one more sweep arpeggio I'm going to puke. Now back to the madness.
Old 27th January 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Carey M's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr ➑️
Now those Boomstars were a different story. I only heard the 4075 and 303 clones. I thought they sounded really good. For the price I think those things will sell like crazy. Well worth the money IMO.
...
If I hear one more sweep arpeggio I'm going to puke. Now back to the madness.
Thanks for taking the time to write this. Great to hear the Boomstars have finally materialized and sound good
Old 27th January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
So as I finished playing the new Korg MS20 Mini I noticed two Roland guys waiting to check it out. I then asked them the obvious question. I wouldn't be surprised if Roland jumps back in the analog synth game judging by their careful response. Basically they said they're just waiting for the word from "the man".
Old 27th January 2013
  #4
messiaen
Guest
Thats brilliant news about Roland, they are almost bound to now Korg have re-released the MS 20! Have you tried the Subphatty yet?

What didn't you like about the prophet?
Old 28th January 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Word from 'the man'.... That's funny. I think Roland is too too careful these days and doesn't know a bird when it hits them. At this point, it's nice to see Korg make the MS-20, but how did everyone sleep on this for so long. I guess they must have thought it was a fad and the analog craze would die with softsynths out there or something. Now they will have record of Korg making some nice cash flow from their so called 'boldness'.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
MORDICUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M ➑️
Thanks for taking the time to write this. Great to hear the Boomstars have finally materialized and sound good

+ 1

what s the price point for those ? So excited with the MS 20 ... Your thread made me realize I forgot bout those STUDIO ELECTRONICS modules ... Didn t saw lots of infos on the board ... Will have to check specific S. ELECTRONICS thread ...
Any more infos on those GRINGO ? and thanks for your reports ...

PEACE


MORDICUS
Old 28th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
That sounds to me more like those two reps were feeling red faced about seeing their arch rival Korg doing something really cool and were trying to say something to save face.

Even if Roland did attempt something analogue, I don't nessesarily think it would automatically be good.


Korg got there first and did it bl**dy well.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
volumetrik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr ➑️
So as I finished playing the new Korg MS20 Mini I noticed two Roland guys waiting to check it out. I then asked them the obvious question. I wouldn't be surprised if Roland jumps back in the analog synth game judging by their careful response. Basically they said they're just waiting for the word from "the man".
Cool!!
Old 28th January 2013
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
sensorfold's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Gringo, thanks for report. Ordering a Boomstar 4075. You confirmed my suspicion that SE will not make a bad synth. I love their sound. Now this with hardware envelopes will fit in nicely with my other SE synths- and yes, I'm an SE fanboy. Specs look great. As far as memory, "patches........patches?!! We don' need no stinkin' patches"!!!!
Old 28th January 2013
  #10
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The smartest way for Roland to get back at Korg ... is to release the Juno-60 w/MIDI.. with all the second hand prices going thru the roof in the past 5 years.

Don't go mono.. and don't build an overpriced beast.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
The smartest way for Roland to get back at Korg ... is to release the Juno-60 w/MIDI.. with all the second hand prices going thru the roof in the past 5 years.

Don't go mono.. and don't build an overpriced beast.
Expecting Roland to re-release ANY of the Junos and expecting it to be less than the most expensively priced vintage model is what you call dreaming.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
The smartest way for Roland to get back at Korg ... is to release the Juno-60 w/MIDI.. with all the second hand prices going thru the roof in the past 5 years.
Trying to picture a 4 octave minikey one.
Old 28th January 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
lovekrafty's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
If Roland were smart they,d revamp the TR-808
Considering the crazy prices they go for these days
They could easily sell a revamp for $1000
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
MORDICUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➑️
If Roland were smart they,d revamp the TR-808
Considering the crazy prices they go for these days
They could easily sell a revamp for $1000


Add to this TR 909 ; JUPITER 8 ( dreaming !!!! ) and ....

PEACE


MORDICUS
Old 28th January 2013
  #15
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr ➑️
So I spent about 20 minutes on the Prophet 12. I'm sure I didn't even scratch the surface of this thing within that 20 minutes. However I walked away feeling the exact same way I always feel after I try something from DSI for the first
Time. Basically, trying to convince myself that there must be something great in their that I just didn't find. And it's most likely possible that that's the case. Regardless after 20 minutes I left without hearing anything that moved me.
Maybe the DSI sound just isnt you cup of tea. A lot of people either love or hate the PPG/Waldorf sound likewise.

I dont particularly care for Moog's and much prefer Oberheim's.
Old 28th January 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➑️
Expecting Roland to re-release ANY of the Junos and expecting it to be less than the most expensively priced vintage model is what you call dreaming.
I could actually see this happening, I don't think it is far fetched to get a DCO six voice (Juno like) from Roland for less than Dave Smith prices.
Old 28th January 2013
  #17
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Roland - haha! A Juno would sell like hotcakes...

Boomstar - great! Looking fwd to hearing some decent demos...
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohulahanbass ➑️
I could actually see this happening, I don't think it is far fetched to get a DCO six voice (Juno like) from Roland for less than Dave Smith prices.
Just like the past.. Japan knows how to make it cheaper.. lucky for me I just think they sound better than American/British synths,..
Old 28th January 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
Just like the past.. Japan knows how to make it cheaper.. lucky for me I just think they sound better than American/British synths,..
For poly, yes I agree. So funky they smell like sex! (I'll say the same for moog mono bass) I hope roland will keep the Juno style sideways pitch/Cutoff wheel, there is something extra fun and expressive about that wheel. If it ever happens that is.

I'm also very excited for the boomstars to materialize but bummed no one at NAMM snagged a video clip of them. Looks like I'll have to make a tough decision between a Boom or a Sub this summer.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
gruvsyco's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohulahanbass ➑️
I'm also very excited for the boomstars to materialize but bummed no one at NAMM snagged a video clip of them. Looks like I'll have to make a tough decision between a Boom or a Sub this summer.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco ➑️
Hmmm... Not a very flattering video. Didn't do it justice compared to what I heard.

I was told they are $800 a piece btw.

@messiaen - the only thing I could say is that I simply didn't hear anything that made me feel creative or excited. It was a short 20 minutes. I don't want to knock this synth and says its not good. That's just what I walked away with after playing it. If I see one again I will certainly jump back on in a second.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3371 views: 439189
Avatar for Bobswans
Bobswans 30th January 2019
replies: 4277 views: 619254
Avatar for mtps
mtps 24th November 2020
replies: 91 views: 35651
Avatar for Roodillon
Roodillon 16th June 2015
replies: 76 views: 17872
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump