Quantcast
Would Korg MS-20 Mini and SEM Pro compliment each other? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would Korg MS-20 Mini and SEM Pro compliment each other?
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
Right, the only thing I didn't like on Lancet is the need for that modular dock to have PWM.
You should definitely get the modular dock, not just for the PWM but for the individual VCO outs and the filter CV in, VCA CV in and the audio input. You can use the one VCO to modulate the other, or use one of the VCOs to modulate the filter cutoff etc. Plus of course you can use it with other CV equipment (Oberheim SEM, new MS20, Dark Energy, MFB gear, modular etc).
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I don't even have a Lancet, so I shouldn't get anything for now! heh

Anyways out of monosynths, I think I'll get the Sub Phatty and MS-20mini, when time and finances allow. Trying not to go too overboard. How many monosynths does one need anyways? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Voltage ➑️
Take the CV output of your modulation source (envelope or LFO) and insert it into a multiple, take two outputs from the multiple and insert one into the CV input of the MS20 filter and the other into the CV input of the SEM filter
no kidding

anyways.. how to do it is not an issue here... i mentioned the comparison in context of practicality of taking up 2 synths with 12dB and do patching every time, to create a classic 24dB bass line, versus having a dedicated (and brutal) machine that does it out of the box. unless you want 24dB once in a blue moon it will drive you nuts.

@Daniel: a dusty and noisy SH09? and you let it go?

what a shame. you just needed to have someone replace a less than a handful of capacitors ... its bass absolutely mops the floor with Lancet. with most modern analog synths. you need to go to a very different price range to match its low end with a currently produced product. ill give you a hint> several modular manufacturers that start with the word "m".

you could have asked Don to do it ..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i didin't let it go, it's still on sale, but 600e seems expensive for its shape
+ i am still saving up for acidlab miami, want to grab it while it's still in
production...so that's priority!

after that, 24dB bass line synth comes next! and then the new ms20, and then a big debt on account...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
no kidding

anyways.. how to do it is not an issue here... i mentioned the comparison in context of practicality of taking up 2 synths with 12dB and do patching every time, to create a classic 24dB bass line, versus having a dedicated (and brutal) machine that does it out of the box. unless you want 24dB once in a blue moon it will drive you nuts.

@Daniel: a dusty and noisy SH09? and you let it go?

what a shame. you just needed to have someone replace a less than a handful of capacitors ... its bass absolutely mops the floor with Lancet. with most modern analog synths. you need to go to a very different price range to match its low end with a currently produced product. ill give you a hint> several modular manufacturers that start with the word "m".

you could have asked Don to do it ..

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Che ➑️
i didin't let it go, it's still on sale, but 600e seems expensive for its shape
A bit pricey. Contact Ko Okatake from Japan. He might have SH-2 available which is even more powerful. i.e. Mops the floor with several Lancets playing at once.

We can arrange the best price from Ko. Just tell him Don Solaris sent you.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
600e is expensive for SH09 even if it was museum quality. i would offer max 450 for an unserviced one. once you take care of it its gonna total at 500 which is decent.

getting stuff from Ko Okotake isnt as simple, there is shipping, waiting, croatian duty tax, vat... there are tricks to avoid it or to make it smaller.. but it isnt as trivial, unless you havent the experience with these matters.

you should have bought that SH09 in Slovenia for 450... my my that was a great deal, and absolutely fantastic condition.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
Yes that sounds very romantic.
Until one of them brings out the patch cords.
Then things start getting dirty.
...9 months later an Oborg appears.

I might jest but I did once hook up a Micromoog and an MS-20 in a mutual feedback loop (out of one, into the other and back into the original).

The Morg synthesiser was created ...and the bass was good heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@Daniel_Che: The greatest deal of all mono synths is hiding couple of hundred miles east:

SH2, serviced with built-in MIDI for 780 euros!!! heh

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by relis ➑️
Killer price for what this FAT beast gives at the output stage.

Daniel if you don't take this one, you're insane!

Serviced with MIDI!!! Hey! That alone would cost you close to 300 EUR!! I know for a fact, that's how much i would charge you: full recap, full cleaning, calibrating, purchasing MIDI, installing it.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Croatian connection. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@Daniel_Che: The greatest deal of all mono synths is hiding couple of hundred miles east:

Quote:
Croatian connection. heh
Damn! That's less than what I just paid for mine which doesn't even have MIDI. SH-2's don't come up for sale very often in these parts. Mine is coming from Amsterdam (but hasn't arrived yet). Vintage prices in Northern Europe have become truly painful.

I agree with Don. Don't let that one go!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you are the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
A bit pricey. Contact Ko Okatake from Japan. He might have SH-2 available which is even more powerful. i.e. Mops the floor with several Lancets playing at once.

We can arrange the best price from Ko. Just tell him Don Solaris sent you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the sh09 is located in Omis, a guy is selling father's keyboards and he set up the prices based on ebay! thats why he has been selling it for a year now...
i was thinking to offer him 400e, but he was clear about the final price of 600e

Quote:
600e is expensive for SH09 even if it was museum quality. i would offer max 450 for an unserviced one. once you take care of it its gonna total at 500 which is decent.

getting stuff from Ko Okotake isnt as simple, there is shipping, waiting, croatian duty tax, vat... there are tricks to avoid it or to make it smaller.. but it isnt as trivial, unless you havent the experience with these matters.

you should have bought that SH09 in Slovenia for 450... my my that was a great deal, and absolutely fantastic condition.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
whaaaat?! seriously? from Boris?
tempting, really...

Quote:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
damn! i hate good deals sometimes! been saving up for miami drum machine,
and think it's time to go that road...wondering does the sh02 has both midi in and out....

Quote:
Killer price for what this FAT beast gives at the output stage.

Daniel if you don't take this one, you're insane!

Serviced with MIDI!!! Hey! That alone would cost you close to 300 EUR!! I know for a fact, that's how much i would charge you: full recap, full cleaning, calibrating, purchasing MIDI, installing it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah, always there!

Quote:
Croatian connection. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
miami drum machine vs sh02....damn, i really want get Miami before it gets discontinued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
Damn! That's less than what I just paid for mine which doesn't even have MIDI. SH-2's don't come up for sale very often in these parts. Mine is coming from Amsterdam (but hasn't arrived yet). Vintage prices in Northern Europe have become truly painful.

I agree with Don. Don't let that one go!
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
get SH2 first. it will take some time for you to realize how great it is, as your experiences with various analogs are limited. but if you knew you wouldnt be thinking a second.. just make it easy on yourself

thats how it was with me.. i gotta call in the middle of the night.. it was sep 2005 i think..

Roginator: i found this mint SH2 .. you want it? 400 euro?

me: wtf is SH2, is it any good? eeeeehh dunno..

Roginator: its now or never.. it sounds humongous..

me: i just got payed something...oooooooooooh phuk.. bring it tommorow..

i was so close making a mistake.. he got three calls minutes after from ppl asking for it.. begging to pay 500. one of best buys of my life. i used it so much and in so many different ways.. its closer to my heart than my minimoog will ever be. we have a history.. in other words: if you wanna save some money, dont ever be close friends with a synth dealer
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Agreed that the SH-2 is one of the best monos around.

Back to the MS-20. In understand that the keyboard CV out is V/Hz. But what about the modulation CV I/Os: LFOs, Envelope, Noise etc? I thought they were Volt/Oct and could interface with 5V/Oct gear like the SEM? If you had a SEM PRO, you could trigger both synths via midi while cross-modulating the synths. Or is that incorrect and a converter is needed for modulation as well?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
whaaaat?! seriously? from Boris?
tempting, really...
Yes, it was Boris's unit. Somehow crossed the border and it's for sale again now by Mr. Goasia. Which is strange considering music he make. If I'd make goa, psy or some similar high bpm music, SH2 would be last synth to sell.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
very convincing! i am sure it's a great synth, from what i've seen on youtube it's epic

Quote:
get SH2 first. it will take some time for you to realize how great it is, as your experiences with various analogs are limited. but if you knew you wouldnt be thinking a second.. just make it easy on yourself

thats how it was with me.. i gotta call in the middle of the night.. it was sep 2005 i think..

Roginator: i found this mint SH2 .. you want it? 400 euro?

me: wtf is SH2, is it any good? eeeeehh dunno..

Roginator: its now or never.. it sounds humongous..

me: i just got payed something...oooooooooooh phuk.. bring it tommorow..

i was so close making a mistake.. he got three calls minutes after from ppl asking for it.. begging to pay 500. one of best buys of my life. i used it so much and in so many different ways.. its closer to my heart than my minimoog will ever be. we have a history.. in other words: if you wanna save some money, dont ever be close friends with a synth dealer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so it's in serbia? how the hell am i going to pass it through costumes?
not to mention i am miles away, so if i had to do it myself and by miracle avoid tax charges those 780e
would increase to 900e at least

not to mention a risk for not testing the synth before purchase

Quote:
Yes, it was Boris's unit. Somehow crossed the border and it's for sale again now by Mr. Goasia. Which is strange considering music he make. If I'd make goa, psy or some similar high bpm music, SH2 would be last synth to sell.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
i am sure it's a great synth, from what i've seen on youtube it's epic
Interesting. I haven't heard one single Youtube SH-2 video that sounds like actual SH-2.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hmmm...gets even more interesting...if it sounds better than that, i really look forward getting it!

Quote:
Interesting. I haven't heard one single Youtube SH-2 video that sounds like actual SH-2.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Which is strange considering music he make.
I've allways had feeling that Goasia is in some wierd perpetual buying&seling synths mode. I think more gear passed trough his hands than any other guy/girl around here.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Synth promiscuity FTW. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Synth promiscuity FTW. heh
lol

Yeah. Some guys just don't like to commit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't wait to mess around with the sem/MS combination, and thus I agree: the minijacks rock
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Not to hijack, but any thoughts on an MS20 Moog minitaur combo? Any overlap? Any cool options?
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Goasia is ok guy, the synth coming from Boris is in tip top shape.

PS there is someone on this thread that picked up a mint SH-2 yesterday ... i wont say who, so i dont deprive him of announcing it himself.. hmmm maybe we praised and talked about it too much

congratulations
πŸ“ Reply