Quantcast
How to get this lead vocal sound / what is it called? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get this lead vocal sound / what is it called?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
How to get this lead vocal sound / what is it called?

Hey all!

I was just wondering if you could tell me what's going on with the lead vocals (starts at 0:27) here. sounds like a combo of distortion / ping pong delay, as well as eq boost in the mids? not sure, which is why i would love to ask you guys

great sounding band btw
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It sounds like there's a bit going on there effects wise.
Some mild distortion, and some stereo delay.
There seems to be some spatial widening too.
There is an effect on the Eventide H3000 which does this well called "Magic Air"
It is a combination of micro pitch shifting and short delays, in stereo.

You can achieve this effect in most DAW's by copying the track twice, panning them and adjusting the timing and pitch (very slightly)

Here is an old demo of this I posted. First is the dry vocal, then the Eventide version, then the Cubase version.

Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I wonder how this compares to the real thing

Eventide - H3000 Factory
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
I wonder how this compares to the real thing

Eventide - H3000 Factory
I've got that too.
Unfortunately only a small amount of the original algorythms were included in the plugin, so it lacks a lot of the hardware's capabilities.
What it does do is pretty impressive, including the pitchshifting and delays.
Also a huge amount of the hardwares charm comes from it's unique convertors, so you miss out on that too.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm not 100% sure how they got this tone but I would start with conpression and distortion and when I want that eventide harmonizer-ish sound I use the Waves CLA vocal plugin and crank up the "pitch" slider (last on the right).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️
I've got that too.
Unfortunately only a small amount of the original algorythms were included in the plugin, so it lacks a lot of the hardware's capabilities.
What it does do is pretty impressive, including the pitchshifting and delays.
Also a huge amount of the hardwares charm comes from it's unique convertors, so you miss out on that too.
surprised they didn't model the converters, seems like something a lot of companies forget about when modeling their own gear
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
awesome tips guys, thanks! definitely a great start at figuring it all out
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
surprised they didn't model the converters, seems like something a lot of companies forget about when modeling their own gear
I didn't read anything about that, but they probably tried to factor that in. The thing about those converters is that they sound HUGE. Whatever you run through them just sounds thicker and bigger. Probably difficult to replicate.
They did a good job though. The plugin came with around 100 original presets. I directly compared many of them and a few sounded exactly the same. The hardware usually sounded better, but there was a few where the plugin sounded nicer. To my ears anyway.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️
I didn't read anything about that, but they probably tried to factor that in. The thing about those converters is that they sound HUGE. Whatever you run through them just sounds thicker and bigger. Probably difficult to replicate.
They did a good job though. The plugin came with around 100 original presets. I directly compared many of them and a few sounded exactly the same. The hardware usually sounded better, but there was a few where the plugin sounded nicer. To my ears anyway.
I'll have to check it out then! I'm a big fan of Eventides but there's no way I could justify buying a hardware units
📝 Reply