Namm 2013 EMC Schmidt Synthesizer - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Namm 2013 EMC Schmidt Synthesizer
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe ➡️
Ah my mistake, didn't realize participants in your threads need to tow the party line.
you are a troll. why are you even here if you don't like the instrument? just go away
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser ➡️
Actually, he DID make it to amuse himself, and he doesn't give a **** what you or I may think. There is only one in existence, and over the course of six years he built it entirely for his own amusement, with no intention of selling it, mass producing it, or ever producing more than the one unit. Friends convinced him to bring it to Messe and then folks began begging him to put it into production and putting it up for sale. He resisted, but after some research into build costs determined that it would cost around $25k each to make a run of 20 units or so. So, reluctantly, and at the urging of boutique synth dealer Geoff Farr, it was determined that if fifteen pre-orders were received that a small production run would be initiated, at which time deposits would be needed.

Bottom line is, he sure as hell didn't come to the trade shows looking for dealers or customers - it was a technical exercise done for his own amusement... But, believe it or not, there ARE those for whom $25k represents a week's worth of income from royalties of TV re-runs, or one-third of the fee for a night spent spinning a DJ set - THESE are the kind of folks who will be on the pre-order list.

These are also the folks who already have the Jupiter-8, the P5, the Xpander, etc., and are STILL looking for something new, fresh, and inspiring.

I spent quite a bit of time playing the Schmidt at both this NAMM show and last year's, and it is definitely a bad mofo - I have plenty of the big old-school analog polysynths, and the Schmidt will absolutely do stuff that none of the grandpappy synths will do - and it doesn't need to be re-capped! Most folks will be fine with a King Korg or a Prophet-12. The Schmidt is definitely in the class of, "if you have to ask the price, it's not for you" - but there's room in the world for the 1970 Hemi Cuda (the Memorymoog), the Nissan Skyline r34 (the Jupiter-8), the C7 Corvette (the DSI Prophet-12), AND the Pagani Huarya (the Schmidt). Not everyone wants to drive a car (or synth) that makes "good financial sense" - some crave exotic machines that push the limits of what is possible with the technology, and the Schmidt is exactly that. It is well beyond the scope of reason and into the realm of passion - beyond "super cars" like Mclaren or Ferrari, and into "hypercar" territory, up there with the Bugatti Veyron (to stretch the automotive analogy to the limit).

I, for one, am pleased that we can choose to spend anywhere between $500 (Minibrute) and $25,000 (Schmidt) on synths.

On Friday I was told (by Thomas, as Schmidt himself was not there) that out of the fifteen pre-orders needed, only two are confirmed (and I am not one of them... yet!) Who is that flush with cash? I don't know, but I suspect one of them has the initials HZ... as for the other... hmmmm. I do believe, however, that a certain rodent-eared EDM artist bought the Fairlight CMI-30a demo unit right off the NAMM show floor for $20k - I was there as they were getting ready to box it up and load it into his assistant's waiting Range Rover.

So there's that....
there are 5 people in Australia alone who put themselves down for the pre-order list.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am sure there are more than several people here who could raise the cash for one if they were to sell off a significant portion of their synth collection. $3000 Andromeda here, $4000 Jupiter 8 there, throw in a $5000 SE Omega/Code...
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is an expensive synth, but OH my god
What a beautiful well made work of art it is
Considering what fairlights cost in the day
It,s easy to quantify the cost for what you get

Pretty much the cream of the crop analog / hybrid synth
It was a shame at NAMM, you could not really hear it
Because it was in the modular booth
Which sounded like a mad space scientists laboritory

Bleep, bloop , ping.......
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➡️
It is an expensive synth, but OH my god
What a beautiful well made work of art it is
Considering what fairlights cost in the day
It,s easy to quantify the cost for what you get

Pretty much the cream of the crop analog / hybrid synth
It was a shame at NAMM, you could not really hear it
Because it was in the modular booth
Which sounded like a mad space scientists laboritory

Bleep, bloop , ping.......
F**CKN Modulars.......I mean seriously in 2013!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress ➡️
what a complete waste of a fantastic instrument. the guys has zero musical talent .. people knew how to play an instrument in the 80's.
Quote:
F**CKN Modulars.......I mean seriously in 2013!!!
Quote:
you are a troll. why are you even here if you don't like the instrument? just go away
Chill out dude, you're the one sounding like a troll.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➡️
Chill out dude, you're the one sounding like a troll.
Agreed. OP's comment re: modulars indicates he clearly has no idea what he's talking about.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD ➡️
Agreed. OP's comment re: modulars indicates he clearly has no idea what he's talking about.
not of all us here prescribe to the idea of modulars. some of us just want great sounding instruments that can be gigged with and don't look like apollo 13 ground support stations.

i'm not disputing that modulars can sound great, but just than its the year 2013, and i don't want to have to resort to that kind of thing to be able to make good music.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it looks beautiful.
However it would be nice with a proper demo focused on the sounds , maybe not recorded through the videocamera speakers...

It doesn´t sound good to me from what I have heard ...it sounds really flat and boring imho based on these video cam recordings...

I guess I should be one of the potential buyers if it sounded good...
Owning Andromeda,Code , Xpander and Jupiter 8.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD ➡️
Well you had to be there to appreciate what I was refering to.
There were so many modular synths in a small footprint all
Blasting at the same time, it was really quite noisy, and that poly
Was out of place, and could not be really heard.

so I do know what I,m talking about so F off
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well you had to be there to appreciate what I was refering to.
There were so many modular synths in a small footprint all
Blasting at the same time, it was really quite noisy, and that poly
Was out of place, and could not be really heard.

so I do know what I,m talking about so F off
The Schmidt needs a good sound designer and someone who can make some videos. If i was trying to promote that keyboard, i know who i would send it to and i know who i would bring with me to namm to play it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Schmidt needs a good sound designer and someone who can make some videos. If i was trying to promote that keyboard, i know who i would send it to and i know who i would bring with me to namm to play it.
Yes it was a sad affair, the synth seemed more than capable to me.
The problem was at NAMM it was crammed into a small corner, right next to
A modular synth that was blasting an annoying sequence of random
Sounds, no one was even messing with the modular, it was just on a
Sequence playing the same sound over and over.

I was a bit insulted to be honest
Anyone who has taken the time to make such a wonderful analog poly
Should be given due audience.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes it was a sad affair, the synth seemed more than capable to me.
The problem was at NAMM it was crammed into a small corner, right next to
A modular synth that was blasting an annoying sequence of random
Sounds, no one was even messing with the modular, it was just on a
Sequence playing the same sound over and over.

I was a bit insulted to be honest
Anyone who has taken the time to make such a wonderful analog poly
Should be given due audience.
Bloody Modular....
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
This would be my dream synth if I had not already sold my Synthi, Serge etc to get my beloved Buchla system.

If you are really into synthesis it doenst matter if its modular or keyboard synth its about your sound ideas. Both work for me. Keyboard synths are great if you want to work fast. Modular synths are more like Chess.
I just love synthesis.
📝 Reply