battle of the 12 bit samplers. - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
battle of the 12 bit samplers.
Old 16th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➡️
I haven't seen a schematic of the S612, but there's this: Akai S612 and MD280 003 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!, which shows BA9201 DACs and MF6CN-50 filters.
This looks remarkably similar in layout, component selection and PCB finish to an S950 revision I've seen. Instead of the now-obsolete Motorola M5238 dual FET op amp they used TL082 everywhere though. The DAC used in the S950 is a BA9221.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➡️
This looks remarkably similar in layout, component selection and PCB finish to an S950 revision I've seen.
Right, they pretty much just rehashed the same design a few times, making it a little less stupid with each iteration.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
Why so rainy?

It will if you use it for 'synthesis.'

Doesn't make much sense to call it a 'crude musical filter' when it is one of the more 'musical' sounding lowpass filters out there (even without resonance) on any sampler.

It's one dimensional to think that only resonant VCF are musical filters. Some of the most interesting filters used in music are passive isolators.

The idea isn't to turn the s-950 filter into a moog ladder. It's to get additional funcationality out of the machine at little expense and effort. If it's as easy as adding a couple of resistors and a switch to control which signal goes to the amp, then it's worth investigation. Certainly it'd be better to experiment with the chip on a breadboard first. They only cost $3.
Well, you may call me rainy.
But all this is in a context of comparing samplers where the other contenders have vcf's. The s series does not fit that category.
How it sounds is subjective, i was very disappointed when i tried to use it as a synth. That why i feel it's important to raise my voice anytime i hear that s series have analog filters.
While it may be sort of true from a technological side, it does give the wrong impression.

Now building 8 synthacon filters and using the vca cv's for changing cutoff would make it interesting for me
Old 19th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➡️
I haven't seen a schematic of the S612
There is a copy of the service manual up on ebay. Perhaps it's about time interested parties did a pool and buy one. PM if you want in.
Old 17th November 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 7ad91e3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Don't forget the dirty old Casio FZ. Yes, yes, it's 16bit, but it sounds like less and rasps with the best of them. And the filter is fun, too.

All 12bit samplers are fun in one way or another, filters that stick out to me are DSS-1, Emax and Prophet 2000/2002. Different angles on wickedness.
Had about every sampler but Fairlight. The Casio FZ1 ist dope! The filters are among the most interesting. You can do some wild resonance manipulation. There's no propper demo out there that shows what the dirty filter can do. There's a total own kind of sound to the filter. It looks like the FZ1 is still among the best kept secrets in vintage sampling. You can get them for nothing at this point. I bet only few owners understand the power of the FZ1 since I dont see any videos with the filter manipulation. Did some sampling work for a plantinum producer and processed some material for his production and he would choose the FZ1 version. Fz1 has a user friendly workflow which is also a important point in the whole picture.

Emax is a no brainer but if you can get hold of a FZ1 for the price they currently go its a must have classic.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
There’s always this old boy....
YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 ➡️
Had about every sampler but Fairlight. The Casio FZ1 ist dope! The filters are among the most interesting. You can do some wild resonance manipulation. There's no propper demo out there that shows what the dirty filter can do. There's a total own kind of sound to the filter. It looks like the FZ1 is still among the best kept secrets in vintage sampling. You can get them for nothing at this point. I bet only few owners understand the power of the FZ1 since I dont see any videos with the filter manipulation. Did some sampling work for a plantinum producer and processed some material for his production and he would choose the FZ1 version. Fz1 has a user friendly workflow which is also a important point in the whole picture.

Emax is a no brainer but if you can get hold of a FZ1 for the price they currently go its a must have classic.
The filter is almost TOO MUCH! Which is a cool option to have. I’ve been programming my FZ1 all day and often have to turn the VCA level down so it isn’t a distorted mess...those sweet spots though.

You can make saw waves have an almost acoustic upright piano quality...it’s like nothing I’ve ever used.
📝 Reply