King KORG Synthesizer
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whole group of demo's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sya4...oZIhUEbTdJBiCu
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

That tube thingy is a bit on the cheesy side. Just seems to gimicky and maybe the whole synth is a bit gimicky. The modeled filters all sound like Korg to me. Its a Korg as well it should. This whole synth seems like fast food.

I will say this. For guys in cover bands, this is probably a good synth to use. Not too expensive, probably will take transportation well [except maybe the tube] lightweight, and can get the necessary sounds to copy top 40 songs. But for a studio?? Not sure this is a contender. Now that Prophet 12 - that is pretty nice.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd ➑️
I HATE after touch and it is the first thing that annoys me when I play something and the first thing I shut off on new gear. And it NEVER comes back on.
It's not for everybody.
I understand its use and how it could be cool, but for me, it doesn't fit ever. Causes more trouble than it is worth to use..... to me.
Bingo exactly
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➑️
That tube thingy is a bit on the cheesy side. Just seems to gimicky and maybe the whole synth is a bit gimicky. The modeled filters all sound like Korg to me. Its a Korg as well it should. This whole synth seems like fast food.

I will say this. For guys in cover bands, this is probably a good synth to use. Not too expensive, probably will take transportation well [except maybe the tube] lightweight, and can get the necessary sounds to copy top 40 songs. But for a studio?? Not sure this is a contender. Now that Prophet 12 - that is pretty nice.
tubes are not gimmicky once you swap them out for some good ones

the difference on my emx is night a day, harsh nasty harmonics to warm soothing growl

crappy eh russian 12ax7 for some vintage ones

would assume the same happening for the KK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This whole synth seems like fast food.

If you were talking about a Gaia or something, the fast food comment may suffice, but this KK synth sounds damn classy to my ears. Smooth, wide & clean.
Old 27th March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
KK got a very decent review in this month's SOS.
Old 27th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd ➑️
I HATE after touch and it is the first thing that annoys me when I play something and the first thing I shut off on new gear. And it NEVER comes back on.
It's not for everybody.
I understand its use and how it could be cool, but for me, it doesn't fit ever. Causes more trouble than it is worth to use..... to me.
really? i actually never appreciated it until i used it on my minibrute to control its vibrato. it gives much more natural results. BUT, on the brute you can set the aftertouch sensitivity curve so that it's only when you really heavily smash the keys does it activate, which makes it useable rather than something that triggers unexpectedly all the time.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
After touch shouldn't interfere with normal playing. If it does, it needs a better setup (curve, sensitivity, etc).

Back on topic, I think King Korg looks great and sounds beautiful but it's trying to be something it cannot be. KK is a practical instrument that gets the job done but for these kinds of sounds a real analogue synth done right will sound better every time.

So, those who need to get the job done will probably appreciate the sound, functionality and price of the King Korg. Being a synth enthiusiast and hobbyist, I'd rather see digital synths explore unknown grounds rather than cover the analogue territory.
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a "VA" synth also DONE RIGHT could sound better than an analog synth everytime. And it mostly depends on how "Better " is defined.
Personally, the KK is very interesting to me. I might be dumping several keys and a couple boxes and picking one up. I don't need the money, but I just don't need all teh extra gear because of what KK can cover: vocoder, knobs, VA, many voices, analog sounding
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I tried it today and I love the sound ,it has alot of 80's sounds like Axel F lead do it sound 100 % like Jupiter 8/w lexicon reverb no ,but it still sounds great we where happy playing Axel F

also do great bellpads ,the is VPM mod depth in DWGS so it can do other kind sounds than Analog
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd
a "VA" synth also DONE RIGHT could sound better than an analog synth everytime. And it mostly depends on how "Better " is defined.
True. No. Correct. But is correct true? Trust yourself in these matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortenJ
it has alot of 80's sounds like Axel F lead do it sound 100 % like Jupiter 8/w lexicon reverb no ,but it still sounds great we where happy playing Axel F
I can say exactly the same about my DX7IID :-)

But purism aside, I liked every sound from the King Korg demo and it looks fantastic. I wish it was analogue though - just for the extra unpredictability, or better yet, a completely un-subtractive digital synth.
Old 4th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I feel like i should update everybody on the kingkorg ! So i was a bit gassed up, oh well. hahahaha tis the name of the game.

Took the king back after about a week , was a fine VA but in comparison to the software ( Diva, Scarbee ect ) i allready own, it just didnt sound any "better" . So for this reason i couldnt justify owning it, took it back and bought a prophet 08 and couldnt be happier. Pairs nice the Slim Phatty.
The King Korg is basically a microkorg xl with normal keys and less functionality. The interface is well thought out and there is a lot to like about the board itself ( esp. the different filter types, mainly ms20 for me).
KingKORG just isnt for me, as much as i wanted it to be. I feel like Korg made this for gigging cats or cover bands who just need "that" qwik synth tonal patch. For that purpose this thing fits the bill nice, but after sometime passed i really felt like i was playing my old microkorg xl but with out the software editor.
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im still considering replacing one of my VA's with this board. I'm looking for pad/string duties and these demo's are attracting me to it.

The 2nd demo has that slight 'precise' JP/Junoish quality at 1:30 onwards. Not my fav sounds but, interesting to hear a VA do this.

Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have had one on sale or return for over a week now. I really can't afford this synth right now and I want to not like it. But its not going back!

I think this may be destined to be one of those underrated synths that everybody wants after they stop being produced.

IMO this is the best new synth I have heard in a long time. Then again I am using it for ambient IDM type duties when I say this. I have a lot of synths here and this one does its own thing. Very atmospheric.

The tube is really well integrated in mine and adds a massive amount to the sound. I have a Culture Vulture here so I know what tubes can do for synths and this one is bang on! That really surprised me. I was expecting a gimmick.

It also makes for a really really nice acid synth with a different character than other offerings.

I have just used it in that way on a progressive trance track and it became the main hook. Totally unexpected.

The unison is its only big down side. When summed in mono the oscillators have that thin phasey problem to the sound. Also the delay times are out.

Other than that its a winner for me.
Old 9th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk ➑️
I think this may be destined to be one of those underrated synths that everybody wants after they stop being produced.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Some of the negative "critique" I have read here, are just mind blowing. If I had the space for it, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I may still do, if I can find a corner in the studio. I so hope that Korg releases a rack version.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
Im still considering replacing one of my VA's with this board. I'm looking for pad/string duties and these demo's are attracting me to it.The 2nd demo has that slight 'precise' JP/Junoish quality at 1:30 onwards. Not my fav sounds but, interesting to hear a VA do this.
Hey flat, et al
I was just in my local music shoppe buying a foot pedal for my 201 and they had a Korg rep there with a King Korg.
BLOWN AWAY!! WOW!!
Totally shocked at how good this sounds. It has such a full sound! The filters really stood out to me. Roland and Yamaha ought to be embarrassed!
It had a very raw synth engine and the other aspects were quite good as well. I didn't have too much time with it as the rep had it, but I asked him to cover some basics. The organs were very nice as well.
What did it for me is it has character. Like the Virus's. 5 years from now we will be able to identify it as a King Kirg like we can identify the Access sound.
GREAT JOB KORG. Best VA under $1500 in a decade or more.
The demos DO NOT do it justice. The tonal scope is unbelievable. Had to take a whole lot of Tums after my encounter with it. GAStastic indeed.
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just looking at the specs of the oscs this synth is very interesting to me. The CV/Gate out is also very welcome.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➑️
Hey flat, et al
I was just in my local music shoppe buying a foot pedal for my 201 and they had a Korg rep there with a King Korg.
BLOWN AWAY!! WOW!!
Totally shocked at how good this sounds. It has such a full sound! The filters really stood out to me. Roland and Yamaha ought to be embarrassed!
It had a very raw synth engine and the other aspects were quite good as well. I didn't have too much time with it as the rep had it, but I asked him to cover some basics. The organs were very nice as well.
What did it for me is it has character. Like the Virus's. 5 years from now we will be able to identify it as a King Kirg like we can identify the Access sound.
The demos DO NOT do it justice. The tonal scope is unbelievable. Had to take a whole lot of Tums after my encounter with it. GAStastic indeed.
Thats good to hear

Theres so much decent stuff appearing at the moment, im like a kid in a sweet shop Now these little groovestations are looking more and more real, its making things even worse.

Seems Korg are really on a roll at the moment.
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
time to buy korg stock
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey flat, et al
BLOWN AWAY!! WOW!!
First, somebody writes it sounds like a MicroKorg XL and now this ...

I check it out! Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Played it just now in the local music store (Feedback Rotterdam). It's a cool looking synth, and it sounds pretty good too! However i was kindof left wondering about a few things.. there seems to be only 1 LFO (accessible from the front panel anyway) which only can be assigned to pitch and filter.

I wanted to assign it to PWM to see what that sounds like on the KK, but didn't find an obvious way to do it.. maybe with a little menu diving you can do it.. but that kindof defeats the point of having knobs on the front panel eh?

Anyway i liked the way it sounds! Don't buy it for the piano's/rhodes like sounds though.. they're a throwback to 90's single layer rompler sounds.. lol. It's kinda fun to have them, but i don't think i'd use them in my recordings
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey flat, et al
BLOWN AWAY!! WOW!!
Stop it! Stop it now!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
Welcome to the Internet! No matter how good or bad the demos are, some of us hear potential in the King Korg. Don't get irritated by someone else's post, saying it sounds digital. For me all of the posted videos here are convincing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That tube thingy is a bit on the cheesy side. Just seems to gimicky and maybe the whole synth is a bit gimicky.
Compared to transistor or digital distortion? Not a gimmick.

Quote:
It has such a full sound! The filters really stood out to me. Roland and Yamaha ought to be embarrassed!
Well... yes and no. I'm pretty happy with the character of Roland's and Yamaha's filters, at least Roland's on the Jupiters. You can do some reasonably good VA-ish things with them. Of course the synth engine on the Jupiters is a VA, so there you go.

But KORG have put a lot of work in their filters and it shows. Like the Ion, Fusion and Miniak, they have a very organic quality to them and help a lot with that full sound. And with three oscillators, that gives it a lot of material to work with to sound big before you even think of using multiwaves or layering patches. The one thing that gives it a KORG quality is probably the oscillators, which aren't modeled but likely based on Radias and AL-1. The "P5 OSC" seems to simply be a self-syncing oscillator with a phantom master. Whatever the case is, the KK is a very sweet sounding synth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuriteBlast ➑️
it's trying to be something it cannot be. KK is a practical instrument that gets the job done but for these kinds of sounds a real analogue synth done right will sound better every time.

So, those who need to get the job done will probably appreciate the sound, functionality and price of the King Korg. Being a synth enthiusiast and hobbyist, I'd rather see digital synths explore unknown grounds rather than cover the analogue territory.
I can understand why you say this, but I disagree. The reason being that vintage analogs don't travel as well as when they were new, and you had no choice but to use them anyhow. New analogs aren't modeled on the old synths other than the direct clones or evolved versions, like the Moog Voyager. The only polyanalogs out or coming are the DSI Prophets and the MFB polysynth, and neither of those sound like they can emulate anything.

That leaves the VAs like KK, and it seems like the best one for the job right now for the gigging musician, or the studio guy like me who can't afford the insane prices of some of the vintage polysynths.

As for digital oriented synths, you have plenty of options there, from the Virus and Radias to the Nords, the Blofeld for wavetables or Kronos for the crazy powerful MOD-7 engine, which lets you use samples for operators and has some patchable flexibility.
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️

I check it out! Thanks.
I assure you it does not sound like and MK. It has a different sound than anything I have heard. Not like I am the biggest expert. More stuff I haven't heard then have.
It seems to be well liked though
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthesizerPatel ➑️
Stop it! Stop it now!!
Ahh STFU and enjoy your bloody Ion, FFS!
You got no business lusting for another synth now Hhahaa!!!!
Like me saying after getting the RE 201: DAMN now I need an Echoplex!!!
Calm down there, Sparky. Or is it Skippy!?
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
Well that pretty much sold this synth to me. Korg has officially won my heart. Ive wanted a mono analog, powerful VA, and some analog drum machine. They have all of it now. All I really need to do is add a blofeld to the mix and my sonic capabilities are endless.
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi all,

As promised, here's our first KingKORG "In The Studio" video. It's a description and demonstration of the various oscillator types. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,
-Rich
πŸ“ Reply