Quantcast
King KORG Synthesizer - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
King KORG Synthesizer
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rich Formidoni from Korg comes on here ....Maybe he can confirm what i believe.....Maybe the KK i played was a one off and they thought it would be a good idea to take the keyboard out of Kronos 61 and put it in KK to headf##k with me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft ➑️
SonicBern..............Have you played KK ?
No

Do I really need too...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... to headf##k with me
Despite the excellent observations in this vid

The guy did not once mention the reason for his observations, namely the Key has a section of plastic that actually bends instead of a physical articulated hinge... This is why the plastic used needs to be flexible and hence the rest of his observations. Add the hinge position (which he did realize) and the rest he mentions is a playing issue for some..

Don't worry if you did not notice any differences or similarities across the various keyboards, if you just walk up to them and play, you may never notice, but once you buy you will start noticing the impact of using a molded flex hinge.

Here is the typical exposed design of a molded section of these keys. They are screwed to the key bed as is and the narrow bits between the ''I'' section and the main key is the vertical flex hinge and to stop the keys breaking the ''I'' section gives the side to side flex you saw in that video.. All in all this leads to the roll and feel he described:

It is said on the Krome they may have extended the travel..
You have said on the KK that you like the feel better than the Krome, may be they have damped the end stop as well as given it a longer throw..

What ever, the fact remains in every close up pic and vid I have seen the keys behave like the Yamaha/Krome/M50/microKORG...

The microKORG is so bad it is dog tooth, keys sit hi and low. Some keys will touch each other at the tips as the guy in the factory screws them in they distort and splay out making a bad keybed far worse. A dust cover can leave a key depressed as the flex plastic has some memory effect. I am sure the bigger keys on the others will be better but not much.

The effect of extending the travel may make them feel better if that is what KORG has done, however it will increase the stress on the hinge material.

I did play an M50 and did not like the harsh end stops, that is obviously absent on a Keybed like an M3 which has the softer strike landing of aftertouch..

If anyone likes this KK or the excellent sounding Krome, I see no reason not to buy them. Lets face it even the best keybeds will still probably use the same rubber dome switches under the keys. They are the most likely thing to go with age with use... Yamaha/KORG may have figured this and thought what the hell lets make it all cheap to get the price down...

You would need a solid hinge axle and a hall effect or optical system to be perfect but such systems are heavy and way more expensive... Korg is throwing more sound and features at you for the money or in the case of the KK more keys than the RADIAS had (although they are quite different so it is a loose comparison)

Personally I will stick to the likes of Roland, DSI and others that do not cheap out on this important aspect... The beautiful sounds of the microKORG were too much to resist so I finally weakened and bought one...

@ vid.... ''KAY CEE OOH Keyboard'' I love American accents...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To be a little more positive I would say a plus point of these keys is for people traveling.. The keys are probably less brittle and being much lighter will be easier to place in a gig bag and move around... More care needed with heavy keyboards with less flexy keys that could snap off if jarred by accident...

Keys that sit on a sprung vee are both firm and have some flex if knocked so are a good compromise...

Here is an actual M50 (61) molded keybed spare part viewed from underneath:

The looped hindge giving flexibility in both directions I mentioned before.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I understand where Sonicbern is coming from. The quality of Korgs low end keybeds is to be frank, awful. Ever since playing the X50, I kind of felt dissapointed with their low end stuff. I owned a Karma which was a brilliant instrument, but again, why did it have such a poor keybed, when the Triton which it was based upon had a fabulous one.

The keybeds on M3, M1, Z1, Wavestion, 01/w etc etc were really fantastic, perhaps even my favourite synth keybeds. They really need to ditch these toy like mechs. Im not sure what the KK's keybed is, but agree with Sonicburn, for a performance board, you really want something that is comfortable to play. If its like that Krome keybed, its a deal breaker for me.

Its like giving an artist a cheap bristly paint brush to perform his/her work. The keyboard is the imperative connection point between you and the sound. A very important factor that shouldn't be compromised imho.

...but ryankrafts review does sound positive.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
I understand where Sonicbern is coming from. The quality of Korgs low end keybeds is to be frank, awful. Ever since playing the X50, I kind of felt dissapointed with their low end stuff. I owned a Karma which was a brilliant instrument, but again, why did it have such a poor keybed, when the Triton which it was based upon had a fabulous one.

The keybeds on M3, M1, Z1, Wavestion, 01/w etc etc were really fantastic, perhaps even my favourite synth keybeds. They really need to ditch these toy like mechs. Im not sure what the KK's keybed is, but agree with Sonicburn, for a performance board, you really want something that is comfortable to play. If its like that Krome keybed, its a deal breaker for me.

Its like giving an artist a cheap bristly paint brush to perform his/her work. The keyboard is the imperative connection point between you and the sound. A very important factor that shouldn't be compromised inho.

...but ryankrafts review does sound positive.
HONESTLY WITHOUT ANY BS......IT IS NOT THE SAME AS KROME 61 KEYBED ....NOTHING LIKE.....GO AND PLAY THE ****ING THING>>>I'VE HAD M1 and PLAYED Z1 THE KEYBED IS CLOSER TO THOSE THAN KROME 61
>>>>>IF THE KEYBOARD IS NOT THE SAME AS KRONOS 61 THEN IT'S LIKE A LOST TWIN/BROTHER VERY VERY CLOSE
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Guess I'm the only one that actually likes the Microkorg keyboard. Stopped using it as a synth a long time ago though. I've actually been looking for a midi controller with the same feel! Hate semi weighted keys.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by herokiller ➑️
I've actually been looking for a midi controller with the same feel!
This one might do the trick: Korg Microkontrol

It's already older so you might have to go hunting eBay, but I guess it's worth a try.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
HONESTLY WITHOUT ANY BS......IT IS NOT THE SAME AS KROME 61 KEYBED ....NOTHING LIKE.....GO AND PLAY THE ****ING THING>>>I'VE HAD M1 and PLAYED Z1 THE KEYBED IS CLOSER TO THOSE THAN KROME 61
>>>>>IF THE KEYBOARD IS NOT THE SAME AS KRONOS 61 THEN IT'S LIKE A LOST TWIN/BROTHER VERY VERY CLOSE
Chill man!!

I hope your right. I just can understand Sonicberns concerns towards the quality of their lower end keybeds. ...but your opinion (and actual time spent on the KK) is obviousley a good sign.

Also, why'd they bother to call it 'King' if it has a 'Paupers' keybed?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Guess I'm the only one that actually likes the Microkorg keyboard. Stopped using it as a synth a long time ago though. I've actually been looking for a midi controller with the same feel! Hate semi weighted keys.
I am sure many do.. it's bad in the ways we discussed but it is fun to have that many keys in a small space.. I know were your coming from.. They have been making this stuff long enough so someone is buying them..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What the f##k has the krome keyboard got to do with KK keyboard ???? Please tell me....
They appear to use the same base and joystick

The main difference is the top decks and I guess they may have different connections at the back but even that area has a similar cut out for the connector board..

This is how Korg is getting the price down.. They share so many parts..

Interestingly it was you that started the comparison.

All I can say is what I see.. From all the pics the Krome and KK appear to have the same keybed keys, not disputing that you say they feel different, there are reasons why that could be as it is not just the keys hinges but other elements that affect the over all feel. Key travel, damping could all be modefied and led to the better feel you experienced..

Point being made for the benefit of gearslutz is I suspect it is still not one of their flagship keybeds... That is the real point being made so peeps don't think this has a Kronos keybed...

One thing to bare in mind, although I doubt it very much, manufacturers maintain the right to modify their product so original demo's and product shots could change to the final product you find in the shops...

Don't take it all to heart we are just having fun on the internet after all
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This could also explain some of the difference in feel:

''Hi folks,

KingKORG doesn't have aftertouch, but it does have another interesting feature: The keys can trigger at three different points in their travel, via a parameter called "Key Response". You can set it to Shallow, Normal, or Deep to mimic the key throw of various instruments (clav, organ, various synths).

Hope this helps,

-Rich
Richard Formidoni
Technology Product Manager
Korg USA, Inc.''

Old 18th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really? Are we crying and stomping over the keybeds? Who gives a damn! You press the key and it plays. Right?
If you want "nicer" key bed spend $3-4k on a Nord. I love this: I don't have the money for an expensive board, but cry when the cheap ones don't feel good. Asinine.
I'd rather Korg spend more on the sound then weighted non synth action keys.
Lets move on from this before the moderators close this (at times) great thread.
I will be taking a close look at this synth during the week as it , too has me very intriqued.
As far as SonicBern, if you have spent 5 minuits on GS you'll know the guy has strong opinions. At times dead wrong and he has battered me at times as well, but I respect him for that at least.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➑️
Really? Are we crying and stomping over the keybeds? Who gives a damn! You press the key and it plays. Right?
If you want "nicer" key bed spend $3-4k on a Nord. I love this: I don't have the money for an expensive board, but cry when the cheap ones don't feel good. Asinine.
I'd rather Korg spend more on the sound then weighted non synth action keys.
Lets move on from this before the moderators close this (at times) great thread.
I will be taking a close look at this synth during the week as it , too has me very intriqued.
As far as SonicBern, if you have spent 5 minuits on GS you'll know the guy has strong opinions. At times dead wrong and he has battered me at times as well, but I respect him for that at least.
Oh, stop being so reasonable!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't have the money for an expensive board, but cry when the cheap ones don't feel good.
Well, I will say that this was a revelation on the cheaper KORG keybeds.

But still, as long as they work, and last, I don't care. I have old synths with great feeling keybeds which the velocity and pressure response has pooped out. I played on a not so old Karma some time back, and yes, it did feel cheaper than the Triton it's based on, but it still played how I wanted to. Pressure was disturbingly squishy, but still controllable.

So, whatever. If I do decide the KK is for me, I doubt I'll care because I'll most likely be driving it from a master board much of the time. But if even a nine year old Karma plays fine, I'm not worried.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer ➑️
I like the sound of SE Code/Omega8 with the CS-80 filters very much. The Oberheim filter emulation on the King Korg is very impressive, by just judging the YT videos. A CS-80 filter in the KK would have been the icing on the cake.
True it would be nice to have a independant high pass and low pass a la the CS80 in a VA synth.

Gearslut that I am, if you gave me that, I'd want to pass a sine wave directly through to the VCA as well, to take full advantage of this filter architecture.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Nothing analag about this machine.
Quote:
It's digital running on 0s and 1s......
Guys, you're quoting a spammer.

The original post was made here, earlier in the thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ml#post8681107

The spammers re-use someone else's post to appear on-topic, but they always contain a set of 5 images for no good reason whatsoever. They always have a nickname that consists of a regular name plus a few numbers. All their posts in other threads also use the thread's own posts to generate text with, so you get nonsensical sentences most people gloss over.

Don't quote. Don't reply. Hit report.
Lives for gear

Most of the Korgs I've owned or played had pretty good keyboards. I don't

expect King Korg to be much different.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
Guys, you're quoting a spammer.

The original post was made here, earlier in the thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ml#post8681107

The spammers re-use someone else's post to appear on-topic, but they always contain a set of 5 images for no good reason whatsoever. They always have a nickname that consists of a regular name plus a few numbers. All their posts in other threads also use the thread's own posts to generate text with, so you get nonsensical sentences most people gloss over.

Don't quote. Don't reply. Hit report.
Yoozer.....If you had of quoted the whole of my message then it would have been very apparent i was going along with the spammer...I'm English...I know spam....I'm also a big Monty Python fan. Anyways I'm sure a few people around here will get a kick out of KK .....It's a leftfield (eccentric) release from Korg but in a funny little way(just as MS20 mini) Korg have done their homework...It's not perfect but it will sell By the way...I'm totally chilled...even with SonicBern
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I love the Microkorg keybed.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hey Y'all found a proper demo. He didnt showcase the PCM samples much but the rhodes he played sounded really good/usable imo. Also he states u can use the XLR to FX audio signals besides just microphones. Im probably going to get rid of my kronos and get a King , the kronos is a great board but editing on the kronos is probably one of my least favorite things to do ,, ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T1Zt6ZwNOg
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondis ➑️
Hey Y'all found a proper demo. He didnt showcase the PCM samples much but the rhodes he played sounded really good/usable imo. Also he states u can use the XLR to FX audio signals besides just microphones. Im probably going to get rid of my kronos and get a King , the kronos is a great board but editing on the kronos is probably one of my least favorite things to do ,, ha.

Some nice sounds
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️

Some nice sounds
LOVELY!
Trying to figure out which of my synths I have to sell to get one. Not cheapo the KK!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
LOVELY!
Trying to figure out which of my synths I have to sell to get one. Not cheapo the KK!
BTW diggin the yellow 'Tribe!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

It had to happen sooner or later
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Y'all found a proper demo.

The Home of the Brave fragment at 16:30 - that was really nice. The hairbreadth detune is responsible for some of the greatest Minimoog-ish leads. Thanks for posting!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
BTW diggin the yellow 'Tribe!
I believe thats just a template card that slips on top of facia showing newer fuctions of v2 software updates.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess since I'm not the biggest EDM fan in the world, this is my least favorite video. I don't care much for the Tribe vibe either. But it's good you guys are getting some juice from it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Y'all found a proper demo.
Just posted yesterday. And it only took Korg two whole months for potential buyers to have access to it.

This video (or something just like it) should have been posted two seconds after Korg introduced the synth at NAMM.
Old 20th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I bought mine last week, went to the store to buy a phatty, no moogs at all, anywhere not even a minitaur! Had 10 mins on this, filters were smooth, gritty, sweet and smudgy, just what I was looking for. Keys I agree are a bit on the lightweight side but I didn't care, I'm not a performer, the sound did it for me, bought it at the drop of a hat. At home I realised there was so much more under the hood and easy to get to grips with crafting sound and modulation unlike my blo-keys, which incidentally compliments the KK.
I whole hearted thumbs up, the phatty can wait!
πŸ“ Reply