Quantcast
King KORG Synthesizer - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
King KORG Synthesizer
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
They totally baffle me sometimes. Whatsizname digs into the Sledge deeply, but doesn't even know that the Jupiter-80 has a VA section. Man, what brain lapses these guys can be.

If they didn't even care that much for the Prophet 12, I'm not sure what would whelm them. Maybe they wet themselves so hard over Mr Norlander's massive Moog Modular that nothing would impress them but a re-release of the Modular III.

Frankly, the KK is completely blocking the MS-20 Mini from my radar. Your radar may vary.
yeh but you have to forgive nick who has sever jet lag
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Erm... maybe being in America makes it more intense or something.

In any case, I came across a couple of Derek Sherinian videos showcasing the KK some, but mostly it was a Kronos show. Still, it demonstrates how hard you can rock with these guys, and how good the organ on the Kronos can sound, plus some killer guitar shred sequencing. And man, are his chops tight.

And for a good hunk of the opening in good audience quality:

Check out KeyboardMagJP's other videos too.
Old 6th February 2013
messiaen
Prog is making a comeback I tell you!!
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
Erm... maybe being in America makes it more intense or something.

In any case, I came across a couple of Derek Sherinian videos showcasing the KK some, but mostly it was a Kronos show. Still, it demonstrates how hard you can rock with these guys, and how good the organ on the Kronos can sound, plus some killer guitar shred sequencing. And man, are his chops tight.
yeah that's a great clip. I wonder where Jordan Rudess was hiding this year? I didn't see him in any of the NAMM stuff this year. Usually he is whoring himself out to anyone and everyone
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
I wonder where Jordan Rudess was hiding this year? I didn't see him in any of the NAMM stuff this year.
He was in this panel discussion of MIDI (along with Dave Smith, Tom Oberheim, Craig Anderton, George Duke, and Alan Parsons) if you're really missing your goatee dosage:

Old 6th February 2013
Tuesday Knight
Actually sounds quite good.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Could someone tells me why it s mentioned everywhere it's a stage synth and not a studio ?for me it means : layout is user friendly AND sound quality is average for studio work but enough for stage ?
It is a question of marketing positioning I suppose ...
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

This guys makes it look like a microKORG... He is King Kong
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hi there.

Sounds interesting to me, somebody knows if the arpeggio ''Sends'' CV out and midi out ?
It should be nice to have features like this, because i have many analogs with CV gate in.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ That is a good question, for the MS-20 buyers who don't want to mess with a MIDI cable. Might have to see if Rich Formidoni has been asked that, or a NAMM review mentions it, but so far, no one has bothered as far as I know.

On the "performance" versus "studio" synth deal, I think KORG is trying to woo a few people who were turned off by the ergonomics of the Radias on stage. It is a fairly well laid out synth, but even as a non-stage guy, when I was futzing with it, I had to lean close to see what those knob assignments were. It's not as intuitive as a Virus which has most of the functions on separate knobs and buttons. Maybe if I lived with it for a while, things would be different, but it does seem cluttered.

On the other hand, the King KORG is pretty plainly laid out, thanks to that five octave panel expanse. The controls are simplified to things you would grab as a performer, for the most part. I would prefer more, but those scannable controls aren't free. Patches arranged by category as on the Jupiters - and this means when you make a patch, be sure and add in the right Category. Any synth that sounds good is at home in a studio, and this one does. And with three virtual oscillators running through juicy modeled filters, you should be able to make some big BIG sounds, before you think of layering them.

By the way, two things. I FINALLY got around to watching the Captain's video link, and am as impressed with this as ever. It sounds digitally sharp, but I'd rather it be too sharp in certain aspects than too smooth or dark, because you can sure smooth and darken it up. This will be a perfect partner to the Roland VR-09. And secondly, I approve of the Admin's emphasis of the name on the boards. Well, and one more. That LED is actually "functional"??
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm genuinely surprised by how interested I am in the KK.

On the face of it, it does look a bit like a very average VA with the gimmicky tubes thrown in to please the window shoppers, but I have to say, from the demo's I've heard so far, it does sound really quite nice indeed. Could be just the thing to fill in the gaps that my P'08 cant quite fill.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️

This guys makes it look like a microKORG... He is King Kong
holy**** hes missing his pinky on his right hand as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds really good in this video

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I feel like this is the next "nord lead"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthesizerPatel ➑️
I'm genuinely surprised by how interested I am in the KK.
I am too. I was thinking it would be exactly what I suspected. The only questions I had were...

Would they do the synth engine right? Yes and no. It sounds very good, low aliasing like the latest VAs. The filters are well modeled from what I hear, though I'm wondering about the OSC models. And no, in the fact that it only has one filter mode, with no dual LP-HP arrangement like the Radias, Kronos and Prophet 12. That isn't a deal killer by any means, as it does have several modeled bandpass filters, but dual filters would be cooler. The modeled effects sound great. The controls are a bit on the skimpy side compared to the Radias and more so the Virus, but close to what you have on the Fizmo, and most keyboard guys love it. Plus, controller interpolation means smoooth changes. And warranties, with no need for recapping ancient hardware are nice bonuses.

And, does the tube do what it should? Oh yes, wonderfully, which I suspected would silence the naysayers.

And as gr8ape says, this could well be the next Nord Lead, which would be great because the Nords are a little too chilly sounding to me. Nord is throwing something new onto the market this MusikMesse, but unless it's a new Modular, I doubt I'll be interested.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Call me ignorant, but what precludes the KK from being a "studio" synth?
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have a sneaky feeling the KK is going to be this year's Roland Gaia.
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Or do you just mean people are going to trash it for the next 2 years?
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The look of this synth has been bugging me for awhile now, not in a bad way, but because it reminds me of something else. It finally just hit me now. It looks like the RS-5

Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would have bought one if it came in desktop. :(
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy123 ➑️
do you just mean people are going to trash it for the next 2 years?
Basically, yeah - though a handful of people will love it.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnurp ➑️
holy**** hes missing his pinky on his right hand as well.
Right hand "as well"?

So where else does he miss a pinky?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Basically, yeah - though a handful of people will love it.
it ain't easy being a VA.
Old 16th February 2013 | Show parent
MusicFan
Quote:

Certainly not true, as you will have to realize if you listen to this excellent demo, which is the best KK demo, I've heard so far...

This synth is good, very, very good!

Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I listened to that entire thing, Dan-O, and while I wasn't really surprised by anything, I did enjoy the nearly alias free highs of The King, the rich sound of the synth engine and the filters in particular, as well as the variety of sounds programmed into it. I'm not sure if there were enough extensively modulated sequences of notes in moods running from somber and basic to heavily mangled and unusual to suit the Gear State militia, but I've had plenty of pleasure wiggles from the King KORG and the Roland synths as well. If I can afford them and a Prophet 12, I'd love to own them all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFan ➑️
Certainly not true, as you will have to realize if you listen to this excellent demo, which is the best KK demo, I've heard so far...

I have to say, although I didn't take much interest in this synth as I am totally VA'ed out atm, (and my ears are very much in focus with the JP8000's sound after listening to all those demos on the JP8000 thread), that demo really made me listen.

I agree, it sounds very very nice. Intricate and rich, with a clean warm polished tone. The pads and brass in particular sound excellent.

I went back to listen to the 8000, and straight away heard that plastic thing I hate so much. This KK is obviousley an evolution apart.

It has a very different sound to the earlier Korg VA's (ie, I can't hear any charactor of MS2000 or Radias). I'd love to know more about the XMT engine. I hope they expand on it.
messiaen
Quote:

Doesn't sound so different from most VA's I have heard, probably more flexible, stick it through some analog effects it could be nice, but its that plasticy digital sound you can never get away from...and its overpriced, for a Β£1000 you could get a prophet 08 module, so not sure who this will appeal too. If it was cheaper say Β£500-600, it would probably sell lots...maybe they will drop the price if it doesn't sell well. What happened to the sledge, similar and too expensive!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

That is a copy of KORG's demo's:

Virtual Analog Modeling Synthesizer | Korg KingKORG

Click on the speaker to go to the demo sound page

You may be hearing some compounded codecs there too as it sounds a tad less shrill than the originals:

KORG's recording to sound cloud (further codec if any) to The guy that recorded on his system to You Tube and any more digital codec losses.

MusicFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
That is a copy of KORG's demo's:

KORG's recording to sound cloud (further codec if any) to The guy that recorded on his system to You Tube and any more digital codec losses.
Sorry folks, didn't realize this...

Yeah, so all the data conversion and compression seems indeed to enhance the sound...

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry folks, didn't realize this...

Yeah, so all the data conversion and compression seems indeed to enhance the sound...

There is a great story of a studio guy who in the days of tape cassette, would do a product copy to tape of a final mix in his studio, run out to his car drop the tape in and hear what the end customer would here, if it did not sound right, he would run back and start over

ABBA would stack instruments to richen the sound achievable on a mono record player back in the days of vinyl records and mono players...

It is subtle at times today, but I recall a a KORG OASYS demo with some synth vox effects sound good on lofi MP3 not so good on hifi MP3 and not very good on CD. The codec had rounded the sound and removed stuff that made the synth sing better....

End to end chain so important....
πŸ“ Reply