The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
King KORG Synthesizer
Old 13th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon ➑️
shame about the name and the King Kong reference on the back panel.
I like both of these, actually. But I also like the names "MoogerFooger" and "Minitaur."
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some companies are more daring with names etc:

KingKORG is fine in any case
Old 22nd May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon ➑️
KK it could be sought after in a few years, shame about the name and the King Kong reference on the back panel. It makes it look like its not aimed at serious players.
I suspect "serious players" wouldn't get bogged down in the name of a musical instrument?
Old 22nd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i thought it sounded fine, would be fun for live stuff, but didn't like the keyboard.
if it had been cheaper or had a better feel on the keys, maybe a different story.
Old 22nd May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
I have nothing against its color. Champagne is cool.

I have everything against lack of aftertouch in that price range, though
There aren't many poly synths in its price range that have aftertouch. I think just the Blofeld and Mopho X4. Each of these boards has its trade-offs.
Old 23rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Honestly from what I've heard of it, it sounds pretty damn nice. I just can't get over how fugly it is.
Old 23rd May 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I own the Korg Radias. I almost never use it. It can't hold a candle to software based synths like Nexus2, Sylenth1, and Alchemy.
Old 23rd May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyNQ ➑️
I suspect "serious players" wouldn't get bogged down in the name of a musical instrument?
Yeah, no one complained about the Wasp
Old 24th May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You're right - certainly not Duran Duran, Devo, The Flaming Lips, Bauhaus, The Stranglers (to name a few) at any rate.
Old 24th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy_Trance ➑️
I own the Korg Radias. I almost never use it. It can't hold a candle to software based synths like Nexus2, Sylenth1, and Alchemy.
I'm the exact opposite. While I don't have all the softsynths I'd like - or hardware for that matter - when I want to program sounds, I head straight to my hardware. Most of which involves some eye squinting displays and menus, I would add. No software holds a candle to them, yet, but then I'm also not an EDM guy. I'm an EM guy.

I think too many GSers need to get over the fact that everything makes great sounds, and because of this fact, there is no cause to look down noses at other people's toys.
Old 29th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Hey, I'm just curious. Is there somewhere an actual list of which filters are modeled on each? Some are obvious but many aren't.
Old 29th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
It's weird how limited it is in some ways compared to the Radias.

While the Radias seems to have been intended to compete with the top VAs of the time, the King Korg seems to have been completely repurposed, though I'm not quite sure who for. Live performance obviously, but whose live performance? What is it supposed to compete with?

D.
I think they're thinking a similar market as people interested in Nord Leads. Not amazingly complicated or feature rich synths, but immediate to program (Well, except for the stuff buried in menus. )

I didn't get it for live performance but I find it very useful. I thought it might be able to replace my Prophet 08, and it doesn't, but it does something else I wasn't quite expecting and that's a large amount of oscs (three but consider some waveforms are dual and detuneable) and multiply that by 2 for the second timbre and put all that though really good sounding VA filters... While the analog modeled oscs are fine, I'm finding the digital and pcm oscs to be very fun and useful as well. I compared it to all the usual suspects, Diva, Dune, etc and I found it's sound to be better.
Old 30th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
Hey, I'm just curious. Is there somewhere an actual list of which filters are modeled on each? Some are obvious but many aren't.
"KORG KingKORG MIDI Implementation Revision 1.00 (2013.01.15)

*T02-2 : Filter Type
0: LPF King 1 5: LPF MS-20 10: HPF MS-20 15: BPF MS-20
1: LPF King 2 6: LPF Acid 11: HPF Acid 16: BPF Acid
2: LPF MG 7: HPF King 12: BPF King 17: BPF King
3: LPF P5 8: HPF P5 13: BPF P5
4: LPF OB 9: HPF OB 14: BPF OB"

King -- Korg VA
MS-20 -- Korg MS-20
Acid -- Roland TB303
MG -- Moog
P5 -- Prophet 5
OB -- Oberheim

Is this what you were after or am I being stuupid
Old 3rd June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
"KORG KingKORG MIDI Implementation Revision 1.00 (2013.01.15)

*T02-2 : Filter Type
0: LPF King 1 5: LPF MS-20 10: HPF MS-20 15: BPF MS-20
1: LPF King 2 6: LPF Acid 11: HPF Acid 16: BPF Acid
2: LPF MG 7: HPF King 12: BPF King 17: BPF King
3: LPF P5 8: HPF P5 13: BPF P5
4: LPF OB 9: HPF OB 14: BPF OB"

King -- Korg VA
MS-20 -- Korg MS-20
Acid -- Roland TB303
MG -- Moog
P5 -- Prophet 5
OB -- Oberheim

Is this what you were after or am I being stuupid
Nope, that's what I was after, but now I feel stupid. I kept thinking, "What synth filter is the "king?" What's worse is I also didn't get "MG."
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Interesting that Roland's not on that list.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
Nope, that's what I was after, but now I feel stupid. I kept thinking, "What synth filter is the "king?" What's worse is I also didn't get "MG."
This explains them and how they get round the one filter issue when modeling MS-20:

Other hypothetical filters make up the list
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswo ➑️
Interesting that Roland's not on that list.
Look again, Acid = Roland TB-303

Mentioned more obviously @ 5.33 in the vid I posted above
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
Look again, Acid = Roland TB-303
Sorry, Bern. I was thinking of the IR3109, used in the Jupiters, early Junos, and SH-101. But TB-303 obviously counts as Roland too.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Any chance to have King Korg desktop/rack with Virus TI2 integration, for, say, 700-800 Euros max? I would certainly buy that... Sounds really good.
Old 24th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I really like the sound and emulating capabilities of this however the KK price and format aren't for me...

That said, I'm expecting, or at least hoping, Korg to offer the engine at a lower price point, say the next R3/MS2000 or, more likely, the next Microkorg.

Maybe it's just me but I find the Mininova makes the Microkorg XL+ look rather dated (and feel even cheaper), so.

Anyway, throwing this out there: stuff the engine in a minisynth package, keep and improve on the CV capabilities ( patch bay on a VA!?), call it Microking or Microkorg Legacy or something.

Add a bit more modulation and a Steiner-Parker filter emulation for the hell of it, steal some more Arturian thunder, and I'll be quite interested.

Note that I don't care much for all that CV, actually, but that synth wouldn't be for me only..

Old 3rd July 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've become pretty familiar with the KK through videos and clips. However, I'm not finding a lot of information on the pianos and organs. How are they? (I did try to search. :D)
Old 3rd July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The pianos and organs are acceptable, but there are not a lot of them. If your primary focus is on pianos and organs, then there are better choices. KingKORG is best for someone who wants an instrument for live playing and with a variety of sounds that are modern and EDM oriented.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travst ➑️
I've become pretty familiar with the KK through videos and clips. However, I'm not finding a lot of information on the pianos and organs. How are they? (I did try to search. :D)
The pianos are a tad thin and a bit "90s"; probably fine for a gig. EPs are better. Organs passable, but restricted in types.
In summary: I almost viewed them as an add-on gimmick, handy for the live performer, but they don't stand up to the quality of 'proper' romplers for those types of sounds, in terms of recording.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeetle ➑️
The pianos are a tad thin and a bit "90s"; probably fine for a gig. EPs are better. Organs passable, but restricted in types.
In summary: I almost viewed them as an add-on gimmick, handy for the live performer, but they don't stand up to the quality of 'proper' romplers for those types of sounds, in terms of recording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthtastic ➑️
The pianos and organs are acceptable, but there are not a lot of them. If your primary focus is on pianos and organs, then there are better choices. KingKORG is best for someone who wants an instrument for live playing and with a variety of sounds that are modern and EDM oriented.

Thanks for this. My interest is in the live capabilities for organ and piano. I have an A-100 and L-100 in my studio, so the Korg organs would not be used for recording. My focus is on a good all-rounder for live synthesis with piano and organ as very secondary concerns.

I ordered one from Sweetwater. I love the sounds I'm hearing in the demos, this looks like it will work well in my setup.
Old 5th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My focus is on a good all-rounder for live synthesis with piano and organ as very secondary concerns.
The KK sounds right for that. It's primarily a flexible VA synth, with some bonus piano/organ/etc. sounds that can get you by so that you may not have to bring another board for those.

And if you have an iPad, definitely check into the aforementioned Patch Morpher to extend the KK's capabilities...

Patch Morpher: a live performance tool and sound explorer for your synthesiser. | Patch Morpher | JazzMan Ltd

...but also, the iPad can be used as an additional sound source, if you find you want some other piano/organ sounds, with apps like CMP Grand Piano, iGrand, Galileo (organ).
Old 5th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherscott ➑️
The KK sounds right for that. It's primarily a flexible VA synth, with some bonus piano/organ/etc. sounds that can get you by so that you may not have to bring another board for those.

And if you have an iPad, definitely check into the aforementioned Patch Morpher to extend the KK's capabilities...

Patch Morpher: a live performance tool and sound explorer for your synthesiser. | Patch Morpher | JazzMan Ltd

...but also, the iPad can be used as an additional sound source, if you find you want some other piano/organ sounds, with apps like CMP Grand Piano, iGrand, Galileo (organ).
Thanks for this tip. I also have a Blofeld and the Morpher works with that as well.
Old 25th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I wouldn't buy this for the pianos and organs. The pianos in particular are disgracefully cheesy and the organs are not fantastic either.

I love my KK, buy I only use it for VA and leave the pianos and organs to other 'boards in my rig.
Old 25th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyNQ ➑️
I wouldn't buy this for the pianos and organs. The pianos in particular are disgracefully cheesy and the organs are not fantastic either.

I love my KK, buy I only use it for VA and leave the pianos and organs to other 'boards in my rig.
Agreed. I bought one and like it a lot, but the pianos and organs pretty much suck.
Old 25th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Sorry for bringing this back to life but I recently bought a King Korg during my trip to Japan and just wanted to state that I'm ultra happy with this Synthesizer. I had the chance to compare it head to head with a Nord Lead 4 and, I'm sorry for Clavia guys but the KK is a much wiser choice if you have in count the price and flexibility of both synths. Mine came for very, very cheap but still at European price is a very good buy. At very first I thought it needs to be a little more biffy but then I realised the EQ low pot was down and that both the Tube and Boost were off! after a quick tweak you get that this synth can have balls and sound huge if you need it.
Not a buy for everyone, but it's definitely one of the best VA's out there.
Old 25th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Agreed. I bought one and like it a lot, but the pianos and organs pretty much suck.
I agree they are not very good but you can get interesting results out of them if you use the PCM's in a non conventional way like mixing with other kind of oscillators and doing filtering and modulation.
πŸ“ Reply