2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
wow nice. I agree. Soft lovely tone.
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Great Rich, could we pester you a bit about Volca?
Is there any CV control planned for them so they can be used with the KingKorg as well?
Will they use the same 2Octave/V as the Monotribe?
And can we expect CV out as well for the Monotribe in the future?

Also on the specifications pages Bass is listed as having 3 parts sequencer while Keys has 1? Is that a mistaken swap as polyphony is the other way round?
Or does the Bass have 3 monophonic sequencer lines and the keys one polyphonic?
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF ➑️
Hi all,

As promised, here's our first KingKORG "In The Studio" video. It's a description and demonstration of the various oscillator types. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,
-Rich
Yep this is one very well thought out synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The opinion is out on how close the filter types resemble the originals, but this vid is quite interesting.

From what I read and heard (although only in demo's), the Oberheim emulation is excellent.

Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Personally, I LOVE the digital sounds demonstrated in that video.
messiaen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
I just can't hear any softness myself, sounds horribly digital. I played one in a store, its was nice, but for me it didn't move me in any way....it was an ok emulation, but for me it just lacks a kinda 'soul' and thats important even in a box of electronics
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
I just can't hear any softness myself, sounds horribly digital. I played one in a store, its was nice, but for me it didn't move me in any way....it was an ok emulation, but for me it just lacks a kinda 'soul' and thats important even in a box of electronics
I rather like this demo

Has a warm sheen you don't normally hear in a VA. Obviously I'd prefer to hear it in person, but this sound isn't a preset.

I still think theres alot more to this machine than its presets show. In the same way the very avarage Z1 presets masked its true potential.

Old 19th April 2013
messiaen
Actually thats a lot better sounding! But probably no better than a very good soft synth? And theres the rub as it costs Β£1000.
I did spend time tweaking and got some nice stuff out of it, just didn't fall in love, so to speak.

for twice the money you can get a prohet 12 which from recent demos is more than twice the King Korg!!

I think King Korg would be great if it was way cheaper, it would sell more, just think for what it is its bit too expensive
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
The opinion is out on how close the filter types resemble the originals, but this vid is quite interesting.

From what I read and heard (although only in demo's), the Oberheim emulation is excellent.

I'm really impresssed. So much so that I added an extra "s" in the word impressed.

It's interesting to hear how much the OB steps, even at low res. I think the KK held up very well against it.
Obviously there was a difference when it came to the synthesizers.com synth, but, as has been pointed out on the YouTube comments, the Moog does sound slightly different to the synth tested.

As it stands, I'd say this is a great synth for anyone who would like to be able to get something close to those vintage sounds - and it DOES sound pretty damn close.

I'd like to hear how the KK would stack up against an Ion, since they both do very similar jobs.

I just WISH the KK was a couple of hundred quid cheaper, then I'd pounce on one. Come on Korg, you're going to make a mint once every man and his dog starts buying anything with "Volca" written on it - you can take a hit with the KK surely? ;-)
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
True true. Of the modern VAs I think I like what I'm hearing from the King Korg better than the offerings of Access and Clavia. Wish they did a rack version.
Old 19th April 2013
messiaen
Because of all the Roland hate around here, everyone seems to overlooked the VR09 which has the VA from the Jupiter 80/50, from the few demos it sounds equally as good as KK, plus you get decent organs, drum sets, etc, and Β£300 cheaper than KK

this gives some idea of what its like, effects are great!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
it sounds equally as good as KK,
Just watched that whole demo and heard nothing that would lead me to think above quote. I dunno, I find the whole JP80/50 sound, kinda like a polished take on synthesizer sound then swamped in f/x. The KK sounds much more pure and in your face. ...imho.
Old 19th April 2013
messiaen
Maybe, its hard to tell unless you can take the VR 09 sounds down to basic tones, but you would need an ipad for that!

niether sound as interesting as prophet 12!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Maybe, its hard to tell unless you can take the VR 09 sounds down to basic tones, but you would need an ipad for that!

niether sound as interesting as prophet 12!!
I've played a JP80 in person. Nice synth. Nothing spectacular though.

Prophet 12? Yes, I've been trying to ignore that synth because theres no way I could afford one
Old 20th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've played a JP80 in person. Nice synth. Nothing spectacular though.
Ooooh... I heartily disagree. I found it to be everything from lightly sweet to insanely juicy. Just like any synth, get away from the presets and start messing with more basic voicing, and it very much comes alive with your own seasoning. It's the same thing with KK, but KORG - and Jack Hotop's excellent programming team - had the good sense to load it with solid patches.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➑️
Ooooh... I heartily disagree. I found it to be everything from lightly sweet to insanely juicy. Just like any synth, get away from the presets and start messing with more basic voicing, and it very much comes alive with your own seasoning. It's the same thing with KK, but KORG - and Jack Hotop's excellent programming team - had the good sense to load it with solid patches.

I admit, I had about 20 mins max on the 80 so couldn't go too deep, but I got a general feel for it. Wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't woo me. I can see its appeal to some though. Actually quite a nicely built unit. Again I will reserve my judgement of the KK when I get to play one in person. I'm not sure why some are comparing it to the JP synths. They are different price ranges and quite different sounding to what i've heard. I feel the KK is a more focused as a 'Synthesizer', rather than a modeled 'jack of all trades, master of none' sort of thing, that the 80 left me thinking. . but as always, our opinions differ, which is tbh, a good thing.

My real interest in the KK is that it's Oberheim filter sounds excellent from what I can make out. I'd love a board that can save wear and tear on the OBXa, for when I'm just mucking about, creating ideas etc. Its kind of sad, but I feel more and more as if im treating my vintage poly analogues with kid gloves.

I have this feeling a KK with an ASB Minimax above it would be possibly the best VA combination, that gets anywhere near the real thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
That squelchy lead at 2:30 caught my ear. Sounds like it has a touch of FM, a bit of a "Megadrive" vibe to it. I wonder what sort of settings that patch has... (this is a genuine request to anyone that can provide some insight, I love those kind of "Thunder Force"-esque leads)

This is a good-sounding board, but I still am furrowing my brow at the lack of aftertouch at that price. Come on Korg, enough with the Roland tactics: Novation have had decent aftertouch in most of their boards since the Supernova!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since I don't specifically care about AT, I didn't get this "aftertouch" at this price argument. So I did a little research using the Thomann's search on their website. Currently listed poly synths, with a 5 octave keyboard including AT:
  • Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard, EUR 2333.-
  • Dave Smith Instruments Poly Evolver Keyboard Pot Edt., EUR 2369.-
  • Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 08 PE, EUR 1825.-
  • Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12, EUR 2444.-
  • Roland V-Synth GT, EUR 3290.-
  • Yamaha Motif XF 6, EUR 2555.-

So the cheapest option in relation to a KK at EUR 1190 to get a 5 octave AT, costs at least EUR 600 more. To be fair, you cannot beat the Waldorf Blokey at EUR 675.-, but that has only 4-octaves. On another note, looking at the DSI synths, they seemed to be priced very competitive. The pricing for the P12 doesn't seem to be that "outlandish" either.

Edit: Above are only the synths, forgot to search for the "workstations":
  • Korg pro Kronos 61, EUR 2490.-
  • Korg pro Kronos X 61, EUR 3290.-
  • Kurzweil PC3 K6, EUR 1877.-
SEED78
I'm a big korg fan (they are making great products at the moment), and a big fan of vintage synths - but I wish they had designed the look of the KK better.

cosmetically, it just looks like one of those overpriced real piano home keyboards with presets business men buy their daughters - doesn't look like something I want in my studio...

I'd rather get a second hand P8, or a real vintage synth. I just can't see the KK being popular, expect maybe for artists who want a synth for playing live with emulations of vintage sounds, but there is already Nords for that.
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thats already been posted in a seperate thread, but does sound good. It actually reminds me of a Virus towards the end.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thats already been posted in a seperate thread, ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 ➑️
I just can't see the KK being popular, expect maybe for artists who want a synth for playing live with emulations of vintage sounds, but there is already Nords for that.
Almost everyone gushes over how good it sounds, and how close to the originals, but you can't see it being popular?? Much confused.

By the way, no one I'm aware of think the Nords sound vintage at all. Most think they sound VA-ish, bright and brash, but that's the character that sets it apart. Some like me think the Virus can do some pretty good vintage stuff, but the KK tops it.
Old 21st April 2013 | Show parent
SEED78
its a really fugly synth to me thats all - and its not the only keyboard out there that emulated vintage synths was my point, if Nord wasn't to someone's taste the KK still wouldn't always be the first choice for some.
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've been pretty impressed with how this thing is sounding.

I want to check one out in person. If it feels as solid as it sounds, I'll probably make a purchase this year.
Old 24th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Owning alot of analogs and va's i can compare: i went to the shop and played the kingkorg and except the stupid name the synth blew my mind. I took one home and now my nord lead x2 is for sale

I always love people who make comments about a synth that they "heard" on youtube.
Well i can tell you , none of the youtube movies would have sold me one. You need to hear it up close. Be carefull to not blow up the speakers of the shop though :D
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This weekend I took the plunge and KingKorg #1835 is in my studio Inspiring machine. I think Korg set a new standard when it comes to making an easy and understandable interface.
Old 29th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Played with it at GC this weekend.

Nice synth, after exploring the main menu functions using the small display.

The FX is not so great though. Except some mod-FX like the ringmod.

I wish the delay could have a filter in the FB path, now it's quite useless.

Or I simply haven't discovered any pages programming the FX.

The synth performed best with synth programs. Bass was ok, nothing really great. Unisono is quite essential for the sound.

You have to do proper gain staging.

No noise issues, good headphone output.

I really missed aftertouch. It could have replaced my master keyboard :(.
For the price it's good.
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just slammed together a first track with the KingKORG:

https://soundcloud.com/ewaldk/kingkorg-try-out
πŸ“ Reply