Quantcast
Do you stand or sit, when writing music? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you stand or sit, when writing music?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do you stand or sit, when writing music?

This may seem like an odd question, but I think the two promote different workflows. Sitting seems to be more of a concise / detailed workflow, whereas standing seems to contribute towards improvisational / on-the-fly arrangement.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I do chillout when i sit or lay, about 108 bpm.
When i stand i do dance music from 128 to 150bpm.
The energy just flows differently with different body positions.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 ➑️
This may seem like an odd question, but I think the two promote different workflows. Sitting seems to be more of a concise / detailed workflow, whereas standing seems to contribute towards improvisational / on-the-fly arrangement.

interesting.

It all depends what mood I am in. Believe it or not lately I am lying down on my bed with a bit of kit. (sounds weird right) I like it. I think in the future I will take my Octatrack to my bed lol, filled with samples and create.

I usually sit though, but have been standing quite a bit lately.
Not writing music though just messing about.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
stand up.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune ➑️
interesting.

It all depends what mood I am in. Believe it or not lately I am lying down on my bed with a bit of kit. (sounds weird right) I like it. I think in the future I will take my Octatrack to my bed lol, filled with samples and create.

I usually sit though, but have been standing quite a bit lately.
Not writing music though just messing about.
i took my Korg EMX to bed all the time. i miss her blinky lights and warm tubes. heh
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think it's good to be able to switch it up at will. Standing in one spot or position for too long will hurt the knees, and bottoms of the feet (such as plantar fasciitis, not fun), and sitting all the time can be limiting as well. Working on a treadmill while on the computer can be great, but makes noise and is hard to integrate into an otb music studio. There is something called a "wellness mat" that is a cushioned area supposed to help with standing, seems like it could make a difference, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Could probably put a chair on it.

I guess I'm more likely to sit when a task is boring and repetitive. When getting to the more fun parts of actually composing, standing can give a perspective of being higher up and feeling a bit more "on top things", more often moving from one idea to the next, and puts my arms in a more ergonomic position to reach the keys and everything else. I try not to stand for too long before taking a break, maybe a few hours max.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I am lying down on my bed with a bit of kit. (sounds weird right)
Only weird if your playing with kit while the two girls you brought back just look bored while texting an ex.

To answer the question, Sat down or laying down for me...no real reason, just feels right.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsc ➑️
There is something called a "wellness mat" that is a cushioned area supposed to help with standing, seems like it could make a difference, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Could probably put a chair on it.
lol
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can only write in zero gravity.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I usually sit at my "piano" (Kurz PC3X), but sometimes I do my writing with my bass or guitar, sometimes sitting and sometimes standing.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@AJ Reynolds glad I am not the only one who takes the gear to bed ha ha ha...

@Diel if that were to ever happen I would question my sanity.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I can't work unless I'm upside down
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
I can't work unless I'm upside down
working upside down then what?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not a weird question I've often thought about this.
If you sitting down you're not making dance music. You're making "Armchair Electronic".

I just invented a new genre. Remember where you heard it first!!!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i like to be rolling when i write anything,
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
working upside down then what?
then detune 2 Oscs

?????

Profit.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds ➑️
i took my Korg EMX to bed all the time. i miss her blinky lights and warm tubes. heh
Lol hehe. My voyagersatrightnext to my bed at night so I could fondle the keys in the middle of the night. With all her resisters, she never resisted my touch
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This thread made me realize I typically sit while doing sound design and stand when composing. Never thought about it before.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
but for real....maybe I should try standing up. hrm.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I either stand.. sit in a chair.. or sometimes use a drum stool for some reason.. because my setup is a basically circling around me.
Old 26th January 2013
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My main music space is a very compact cockpit-like thing with a chair in the middle, so I'm usually sitting down.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is one of the most ******** threads I've seen on here in a long time. Who cares if the person is sitting, standing, doing yoga, taking a dump, etc.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I typically sit but stand when I get excited.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh Lol, this thread is the best.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder how many people reading/answering this thread even can read or write music. It seems to me that there would be a lot of blank stares if a lot of folks had real music in front of them not to mention complete cluelessness about what scales to play in for a given piece of sheet music if you had to improvise. Not trying to start a fight or be mean. Just an observation.

To answer the question....I write seated.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I actually do both. In addition to my computer-based, sit down system, I have a Casio XW-P1 wired to a Six Trak that I play on breaks from other projects. I love working in both, but they serve different purposes.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 ➑️

I often stand when jamming/recording - better for getting a groove going on. I know I'm on to something when my ass starts to wiggle

Always sitting when arranging/mixing.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I start and I'm sat down. if I'm onto something, then I'll find myself standing up and getting into it .

I haven't tried working upside down or lopsided..... that might be a good way of engaging & working with the right side of the brain
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Weird to say but I used to love the idea of having everything neatly laid out with a control surface as a centrepiece for composing, I eventually got that setup, but I didn't find it conducive to productivity or creativity. Quite honestly when I'm composing I sit cross-legged on the floor with a few flight cases of gear around me, headphones on, a MacBook Pro, a guitar, a Maschine and Axiom in front of me then a mic stand with whichever microphone on the other side of the room to go and stand at once I've got the instruments down. There's something about feeling like a child playing with toys that I love, that's how I would always build with LEGO bricks or how I would play video games. Mixing is another story, my debut pop-rock record I've been working on for what seems like the last forever (Life gets in the way) is definitely an 'at a control surface sat at a desk' affair.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 ➑️
This is one of the most ******** threads I've seen on here in a long time. Who cares if the person is sitting, standing, doing yoga, taking a dump, etc.
Damn, dude. Chill out. This isn't a "what's the best posture for trap music" thread.

I was noticing that my music has different feelings when I sit down and use a sequencer, vs standing and playing a drum pad. In general, standing = I physically put my body into it and groove. Sitting down doesn't really illicit that kind of feeling, as it's a more stationary posture.

If you're making dance music, it's probably a good idea to make stuff that actually makes you want to dance. Try standing up and feeling it.

Or just keep being a brat.
πŸ“ Reply