Quantcast
Do you stand or sit, when writing music? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you stand or sit, when writing music?
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➡️
I wonder how many people reading/answering this thread even can read or write music. It seems to me that there would be a lot of blank stares if a lot of folks had real music in front of them not to mention complete cluelessness about what scales to play in for a given piece of sheet music if you had to improvise. Not trying to start a fight or be mean. Just an observation.

To answer the question....I write seated.
I can't proficiently read music, but I know my way around theory.

What are you even trying to imply here?
Old 27th January 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 ➡️
Anyone have thoughts on this?
always sit when playing.

Standing is for rare live moments.

Ergonomically, sitting is better. Less tension coming up from legs to shoulders and to hands, quicker and stronger hands.

Fact.

Standing may be visually cool,

but if you feel the urge to stand when the music gest dancey,

you were probably just sitting in a bad position.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
I can't work unless I'm upside down
Move to Australia, you'll be so much more productive ;P
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I compose sitting down but usually stand when recording. I've never actually thought about it in detail, so this is an interesting read. I guess standing up you're most likely to put more body movement into creating, which is an influential factor.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➡️
been thinking about it, there's just something about being upside down man
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
A bit of both
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber_tron ➡️
I compose sitting down but usually stand when recording. I've never actually thought about it in detail, so this is an interesting read. I guess standing up you're most likely to put more body movement into creating, which is an influential factor.
Yeah .. that's my take on it too.. never really thought about it til now (meaning good thread!).

But it brings up a good point .. I can ALWAYS tell when someone makes a track/record that doesn't know how to dance.. (KOMPAKT!!!).

Seriously.. stop wasting my time..
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➡️
Australian girls are HOT!

sorry.. had to say it..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 ➡️
This is one of the most ******** threads I've seen on here in a long time. Who cares if the person is sitting, standing, doing yoga, taking a dump, etc.
A: you cared enough to click on the post.
B you cared enough to comment. but not gave an answer.

it's good question about peoples workflow and how they interact with there gear i thaught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️

sorry.. had to say it..

Yeah.... sorry, had to stick an image in... :D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

sorry.. had to say it..
Only the hot ones, same as any other country

Hot girls are hot, I'm not patriotic when it comes to women!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wonder how many people reading/answering this thread even can read or write music. It seems to me that there would be a lot of blank stares if a lot of folks had real music in front of them not to mention complete cluelessness about what scales to play in for a given piece of sheet music if you had to improvise. Not trying to start a fight or be mean. Just an observation.

"even can read or write music"..."not trying to start a fight or be mean"

Post your music, buddy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar ➡️
"even can read or write music"..."not trying to start a fight or be mean"

Post your music, buddy.
I don't see how posting my music has anything to do with the point I was trying to make. Lots of good music is made by people that can't read or write music. The topic was do you "write" music standing up or sitting down. It just struck me as amusing given some of the comments I have read in forum threads of how people just randomly select notes in a scale till they seem ok or that somehow knowing about music is "limiting." So....I got stuck on the word "write" with much more of a smile on my face than any sense of hostility. Sorry if somehow this came across as arrogant because it was not meant to be.

Here are a couple of tracks I did since you seemed interested. One, a straight up improv on my GRP A4 and the other chilled out. No sequencers. Both done while seated

Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"even read or write"..."real music"

Did you seriously not mean to be condescending?

EDIT: on train, can't listen.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sitting when: playing keyboard or drums, programming desktop synths and Nord G2
Standing when: patching and programming analog modulars, playing some acoustic stuff

In my case, the process of composing music involves both. I can read sheet music (non realtime, though), but I never actually write it because I don't plan to publish it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lots of good music is made by people that can't read or write music. The topic was do you "write" music standing up or sitting down. It just struck me as amusing given some of the comments I have read in forum threads of how people just randomly select notes in a scale till they seem ok or that somehow knowing about music is "limiting." So....I got stuck on the word "write" with much more of a smile on my face than any sense of hostility. Sorry if somehow this came across as arrogant because it was not meant to be.
I have a degree in theory/composition, can read proficiently with multiple instruments, and I still have no idea why/how that is relevant to the topic. As for writing, a large part of composition is based on improvisation - randomly selecting notes within a scale until you find something you like. In that sense, the only real difference I can see in terms of composition is in efficiency - it's a lot quicker to randomly select notes while playing a keyboard than it is to drag them around with a mouse and audition each one.

Quote:
Nice work - I really dug that.
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:

Read music? In front of you? Written? On a sheet? Doesen't sound like real music to me.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Stand baby stand, the only way to get those creative juices flowing.
Siting and mixing maybe, but writing music means you stand-it is the only way I know how to perform.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli ➡️
I can only write in zero gravity.
Make some space rock IN SPACE, BRO!!!!
Old 28th January 2013
msl
Lives for gear

I produce sitting down mostly, unless I have to get up to play a keyboard away from the chair, but I'll just play the line in and sit back down again. I however know when I'm on to a good idea when it makes me want to stand up and move. Had that happen just last night.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy ➡️

... you were probably just sitting in a bad position.
Sitting is Killing You - Medical Billing and Coding Certification

Take note of the angle if you do sit.

Sitting is not natural for our body. You may believe it but it´s not.

On the other hand, if you do write loungemusic for restaurants then you probably should sit while writing.

I just can´t write, compose or perform dance music when i am not standing because i need to check if the frequencies i´m hearing can translate well into body movements.
There is no way i can ´think´ about movements.

The same with doing chillout while standing or sitting. The head thinks about relaxing but the body says otherwise. And yes, sitting is a strain for the body, ask any physician.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i stand - making music/noise is a physical act for me that requires the whole body - from reaching from device to device for real time arrangement/manipulations to feeling the groove, - my body is at work and therefore i need to be out of a chair.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag the LIVR ➡️
Sitting is Killing You - Medical Billing and Coding Certification

Take note of the angle if you do sit.

On the other hand, if you do write loungemusic for restaurants then you probably should sit while writing.

I just can´t write, compose or perform dance music when i am not standing because i need to check if the frequencies i´m hearing can translate well into body movements.
There is no way i can ´think´ about movements.

The same with doing chillout while standing or sitting. The head thinks about relaxing but the body says otherwise. And yes, sitting is a strain for the body, ask any physician.
Interesting, I'm usually in that 135 degree angle or more, I can't stand sitting at a desk so when I'm home I sit on my bed instead or on the couch sometimes
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I either stand.. sit in a chair.. or sometimes use a drum stool for some reason.. because my setup is a basically circling around me.
same. i sit in a techno booth surrounded by stuff.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I sit down on a piano stool - if I have to move to another part of my little music area I tend to take the stool with me. Although, I don't actually 'write' music because I can't read music manuscript.

I do, however, stand when I'm doing the final mix down. Partly because my room is not acoustically treated and I get a better picture from wandering around it. And partly because I jig around a bit pretending I'm playing live.

Tony
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
ozy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag the LIVR ➡️
of course it's not.

But playing piano/synth is not "natural" either.

Most unnatural indeed. it forces you to use hands and wrists in very fatiguing positions (think of playing aftertouch on the first and last octave of a 88-keys keyboard...)

In order to do that, sitting is, IMHO, better, because it allows your back not to carry your full weight while standing still (which is a very tiring effort. Punitive stand-to-attention anyone?).

Best natural position is walking, not standing still: body's weight is translated and falls mostly on feet's "balls" when walking, while it would fall on kneels and fatigue your back when standing still for long time.

Sitting in a correct position is less fatiguing than standing still

Walking is better than sitting in any position

Sitting in a bad position is worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbuilder ➡️
I jig around a bit pretending I'm playing live
Careful: being caught [by client, girlfriend, mates] at "air keyboard" is devastating for your ego, and that may reflect badly on joints and tendons
📝 Reply