Quantcast
Sub Phatty video - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sub Phatty video
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sub Phatty video

Everyone seems to have instantly forgotten about the Sub Phatty but maybe that was a bit premature. FutureMusic have just put up a video of it, pretty impressive.

Some people think the Voyage is too clean. I do not think they're going to have that problem with this synth:

I doubt I'll go for one, I've no room or and I think it's too expensive, but if you like bass and distortion...
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure that many people will buy it because it's knobby, it's easy to use and it's a Moog, but, I believe that Slim Phatty still has a better value and more "silky" bass sounds which I personally prefer. Ironically, Subby sounds more suitable for mid/hi frequency content....I believe that it sounds better than previous Phatties in that area.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's something in the sound of this synth that really rubs me up the wrong way. It seems very harsh and unpleasant, even when it's not overdriven.

There aren't many synths that really put me off, but this seems to be one of them.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
Ironically, Subby sounds more suitable for mid/hi frequency content....I believe that it sounds better than previous Phatties in that area.
Good description I agree. Thats the only thing I don't like about the other phatties. They remind me of playing guitar through a bass amp. You hear the high strings, but they never quite reach all of their hi freq that your ear would like, no matter how high up you go on the fretboard. There's just a cap to the freq range on a bass amp, and the sp/lp sound like that too to me.

With this sub phatty, I hear all those hi freq. I'm still waiting to hear some more bass sounds, but they got it right with this one in terms of the hi/mid freq.

To me sub osc's gives you deeper bass, but also can sound hollow and not that thick bass. I want to hear some demos of more thick bass sounds from the sub phatty. But I really like the clarity I'm hearing in the hi end so far. To me that clarity/sparkle is what always defined analog synths for me, and what has prevented me from buying a little phatty. So if I can get those thick little phatty bass sounds from this too, then I think I'll be sold
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 ➑️

To me sub osc's gives you deeper bass, but also can sound hollow and not that thick bass. I want to hear some demos of more thick bass sounds from the sub phatty. But I really like the clarity I'm hearing in the hi end so far. To me that clarity/sparkle is what always defined analog synths for me, and what has prevented me from buying a little phatty. So if I can get those thick little phatty bass sounds from this too, then I think I'll be sold
SUB PHATTY | Moog Music Inc

Click the link above to listen!!!

Listen to demo sub phat feature dmx. this is awesome bass. cuts so hard and warm and fat.

100% analog is a great example of what it can do with drums and bass..

Sub Phat feat 808 good bass too! and great lead..

Sub phat 1, it sounds like the sh2, buzzy and bright.

Sub phatty 5, aggro bass. nice and pissed.

Sub Phatt 7, super HUGE FAT AND BRIGHT!

Sub Phatt 8, warm and fat.

I'm sold. It is like the rolands. Bright withe moog filter and big bottom bass. This is awesome. Just from the demos I am sold. You dont need to even use the over drive stuff to get great sounds out of it.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know...it sounds too harsh...
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

It can sound really smooth too. back off the osc levels, turn off all over drive, and it gets smooth buttery like regular moogs when you close down the filter.

Now do you understand the reason for this synth, its to make people like me happy, who want bright cutting aggressive sounds with the moog tone.

If you want a darker smooth less aggressive sound. Get the voyager or the taurus, or the little phatty. They have already made that sound to death. It can get bright like the original model D did. Something the voyager and little phatty do not do. You could make the original minimoog get really bright and cutting and in your face.

Sub Phatty is the chirpier moog. YAY!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm in for one when they build a $699 module version. A 25-key keyboard is useless to me and just takes up space.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I love the Sub phatty, because i will gig with it, and its perfect to give me bass and leads with 16 presets and all the knobs for real time tweaking and playing. Perfect for me.

Another reason, it is super stable osc, no warm up, tracking is perfect, plus it has the taurus lfo sync, and note sync stuff that makes it punch, with lfo reset controls and things no other mono synths have, this is what sells me more and more on it. ESP for live shows!!!!!!! Plus all the filter poles!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

^ this is nice and warm, and bright too, the bass is really warm and nice.

the leads cut and are harmonic and melodic sounding unlike the voyagers and LPs.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 ➑️

Sounds like this LOL:

Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
New member here. Just put my pre-order in for my Moog Sub Phatty. Just want to comment that I see this Sub Phatty as a reincarnation of the MiniMoog. I remember playing a high school friend's brand new MiniMoog back in the mid 70's. I've wanted one ever since! Of course the price of a MiniMoog or a Voyager has prevented me from owning one. But WOW all of a sudden here it is!! The Sub Phatty!!

When I first saw it I thought "This is a reincarnated MiniMoog"!! Lots of knobs, dual oscillators, lfo, dual envelope generators, pitch and mod wheels. And all for $1000!! Plus they added midi, usb for computer librarian, and 16 presets!! This is a dream come true!

The newer Moog stuff just wasn't right for me. The Minitaur was a specialized bass machine with no keys and the Phattys user interface was not appealing to me. But now comes the Sub Phatty and we have the same thing the MiniMoog offered when it first came out. An affordable, compact, great sounding synth that is the perfect first step into the Moog family.

The R&D and Marketing team at Moog really got it right this time. This thing will definately appeal to all of us out there that always wanted a MiniMoog but could not afford one. I've owned many synths in my lifetime and now I will soon own a real Moog!! Sub Phatty - The MiniMoog Reincarnate!

Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn, is the sub-bass in the demos from the sub phatty as well?

Sounds much better for subs than the minitaur does. Punchy and smooth, whereas the minitaur is a bit raspy.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➑️
Everyone seems to have instantly forgotten about the Sub Phatty ...
Yeah. All the talk of the MS-20 Mini and the new analog renaissance gave me a flashback to when the Japanese synth makers put the American ones out of business with all their cheap synths. Could it be deja vu all over again?

Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the Sub Phatty. It's a bass monster for sure. And looks classy, too.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
New member here. Just put my pre-order in for my Moog Sub Phatty. Just want to comment that I see this Sub Phatty as a reincarnation of the MiniMoog. I remember playing a high school friend's brand new MiniMoog back in the mid 70's. I've wanted one ever since! Of course the price of a MiniMoog or a Voyager has prevented me from owning one. But WOW all of a sudden here it is!! The Sub Phatty!!

When I first saw it I thought "This is a reincarnated MiniMoog"!! Lots of knobs, dual oscillators, lfo, dual envelope generators, pitch and mod wheels. And all for $1000!! Plus they added midi, usb for computer librarian, and 16 presets!! This is a dream come true!

The newer Moog stuff just wasn't right for me. The Minitaur was a specialized bass machine with no keys and the Phattys user interface was not appealing to me. But now comes the Sub Phatty and we have the same thing the MiniMoog offered when it first came out. An affordable, compact, great sounding synth that is the perfect first step into the Moog family.

The R&D and Marketing team at Moog really got it right this time. This thing will definately appeal to all of us out there that always wanted a MiniMoog but could not afford one. I've owned many synths in my lifetime and now I will soon own a real Moog!! Sub Phatty - The MiniMoog Reincarnate!

this is pretty much how i see it as well, and why it will be my first foray into the moog market
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The only common thing that a Sub Phatty, has with a Mini, is, the one knob per function interface. That doesn't mean it's a Mini. Seems like a nice deal for modern Moog standards but "lfo, dual envelope generators, pitch and mod wheels" are standard synth features since the 60s...they are not something new or exciting. It's like a car with electric windows and lock...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➑️
It can sound really smooth too. back off the osc levels, turn off all over drive, and it gets smooth buttery like regular moogs when you close down the filter.

Now do you understand the reason for this synth, its to make people like me happy, who want bright cutting aggressive sounds with the moog tone.

If you want a darker smooth less aggressive sound. Get the voyager or the taurus, or the little phatty. They have already made that sound to death. It can get bright like the original model D did. Something the voyager and little phatty do not do. You could make the original minimoog get really bright and cutting and in your face.

Sub Phatty is the chirpier moog. YAY!

Honestly i think you can congratulate yourself, i re-read that moog thread from like a year ago where you vehemently criticized the voyager/phatty for being "dark".. i know amos was reading those threads and it appears they listened!

that being said, i personally prefer the "dark" tone of the voyager/phatty. i put brackets because i actually don't find them dark at all but rather silky smooth & round in contrast with the harsh tone of the subby... different strokes for different folks though i guess
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
not feeling the sound of this one. the modern moog sound is quite clean and smooth - which can be cool - but this is just that with loads of cheesy feedback drive which seems to give a muffled and slightly choked sound. It doesnt sound raw, open and dirty in a way that I personally like.

Id rather use a Voyager RME with a tube drive pedal patched before the filter - for some real edge and rawness to be added to the sound.

I slightly feel like people are falling for the marketing for this one if Im honest - because I hear nothing new from this compared to the previous modern Moog stuff-apart from a load of feedback fluff.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All I hear is harsh distorted sounds. Moog are really putting themselves in a box here and should try and show more of a variety of tone, otherwise they could be putting people off who don't give a crap about dubstep basses and aggressive industrial sounds. I have absolutely zero GAS for this. But maybe that's a good thing
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Kind of amazing to me that opinions run the gamut so widely on this instrument.

From what I hear in the YT demos, so far at least, it seems to have the ability to do that kind of creamy Moog sound that can make you shiver AND use distortion in new ways for a Moog. AND Not OR. That combination is what makes it attractive and, in fact , led me to cancel a long standing order for a Minibrute, an instrument that seems to struggle to get a well rounded tone.

Was anyone at NAMM that can actually help balance this impression based on actual interaction with the unit?
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm not a Moog expert (don't own one, and haven't ever played one), however I played the Sub Phatty at NAMM, and my take was yes, it does the mids/highs really well, but when you back off the drive, I specifically thought to myself "wow, that's some smooth as sh_t bass, I really think I need a Moog".

FWIW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
All I hear is harsh distorted sounds. Moog are really putting themselves in a box here and should try and show more of a variety of tone, otherwise they could be putting people off who don't give a crap about dubstep basses and aggressive industrial sounds. I have absolutely zero GAS for this. But maybe that's a good thing
Perhaps you're spoiled by that Pro-One. And didn't you have an SH-2 before that? Tough acts to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy ➑️
Kind of amazing to me that opinions run the gamut so widely on this instrument.

From what I hear in the YT demos, so far at least, it seems to have the ability to do that kind of creamy Moog sound that can make you shiver AND use distortion in new ways for a Moog. AND Not OR. That combination is what makes it attractive and, in fact , led me to cancel a long standing order for a Minibrute, an instrument that seems to struggle to get a well rounded tone.

Was anyone at NAMM that can actually help balance this impression based on actual interaction with the unit?
For me, there is really no other way to properly evaluate a synth other than to play it myself. Demos can only go so far. The same for opinions.

This doesn't always mean I have the luxury to "try-before-I-buy" (though sometimes I do).

I'm on a monosynth kick at the moment and bought an SH-2 last week -- a decision based purely on demos and hearsay (plus my experience with other vintage Rolands). Needless to say it lives up to the hype and will likely stay with me forever.

I also recently picked up a Vermona Mono Lancet. Had I taken as gospel some of the criticisms I've read around here about the Mono Lancet having "bad envelopes", etc. I would have missed out on what I think is an outstanding little monosynth. The envelopes are fine. Ok, so it's not a Pro-One. But that's the point of having different synths: each has its own unique quality and the Vermona is no exception. Its tone is thick, smooth and creamy -- like a cross between vintage Roland and vintage Moog. Very impressive!

So for me, until I've played a Sub Phatty in person, the jury is still out. From what I've heard so far, though, it sounds like a good synth, with more punch and presence than my Little Phatty (which I also like btw).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️

I slightly feel like people are falling for the marketing for this one if Im honest - because I hear nothing new from this compared to the previous modern Moog stuff-apart from a load of feedback fluff.
I feel exactly the same. Many people in my area selling their Phatties because they think of it as an upgrade but I disagree with that. It's different, but not in Moog way. It's certainly an interface upgrade though...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️

For me, there is really no other way to properly evaluate a synth other than to play it myself. Demos can only go so far. The same for opinions.
I don't agree...even if you listen to the worst youtube videos, you will almost always be able to determine if a synth sounds good for you...try listening Minimoog demos or Waldorf Q demos or even the latest Boomstar Namm videos....they can all show off properly, specific properties for the sound of each synth. I have bought most of my synths after hearing many youtube demos and I never made a wrong choice about the sound. (The interface is a different subject though...)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The only common thing that a Sub Phatty, has with a Mini, is, the one knob per function interface. That doesn't mean it's a Mini. Seems like a nice deal for modern Moog standards but "lfo, dual envelope generators, pitch and mod wheels" are standard synth features since the 60s...they are not something new or exciting. It's like a car with electric windows and lock...
"The only common thing that a Sub Phatty, has with a Mini, is, the one knob per function interface - are standard synth features since the 60s...they are not something new or exciting."

Those are exactly the reasons many of us are so excited about this synth!! We haven't had anything with these standard features from Moog at this price range for many many years! It's what a good Moog synth should be - hands on with lots of knobs!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
"The only common thing that a Sub Phatty, has with a Mini, is, the one knob per function interface - are standard synth features since the 60s...they are not something new or exciting."

Those are exactly the reasons many of us are so excited about this synth!! We haven't had anything with these standard features from Moog at this price range for many many years! It's what a good Moog synth should be - hands on with lots of knobs!!
Well, that's ok if the only thing you want from a modern Moog is just a better interface..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't agree...even if you listen to the worst youtube videos, you will almost always be able to determine if a synth sounds good for you...try listening Minimoog demos or Waldorf Q demos or even the latest Boomstar Namm videos....they can all show off properly, specific properties for the sound of each synth. I have bought most of my synths after hearing many youtube demos and I never made a wrong choice about the sound. (The interface is a different subject though...)
i'm with maisonvague on this one.. demos can only go so far indeed.. i guess it depends on the user and what kind of music you make but 95% of the time synth demo makers on YT aren't using synths at all in the way i'd use them... same goes for presets really. also listening to a synth in raw state isn't the same then when it's combined with other elements of your setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, if it works for you, that's cool by me!

When I say "properly evaluate" I mean a lot of things which include more than just how it sounds but also how I interact with the synth (and, if you believe in such things, how it interacts with me heh). I, too, have bought synths "sight unseen" and just gave two examples: the SH-2 and the Mono Lancet.

Regarding the Lancet, I suffered through numerous demo videos on YouTube where NOT A SINGLE PERSON had it hooked up to a MIDI keyboard and was actually PLAYING it. Rather it was always sequenced and then knob-twiddled ohne Ende. It wasn't until I heard matia's fantastically musical tracks on SoundCloud that I pulled the trigger on the Mono Lancet. It's a beautifully melodic instrument though you would never know because hardly anyone is playing it melodically and instead are making critical remarks about its "weak envelopes" and "lack of punch". Sorry, but not every synth needs to punch holes in the wall like a Pro-One.

Still, even though matia's demos were excellent, is was not until I got my grubby hands on it that the true test began. And it's a keeper!

So yes, while a well done demo on YouTube or SoundCloud might be enough to give me an idea of what a synth can do and perk my interest, the final call absolutely MUST be made first hand, in person, in the room, with the instrument, in my environment. Period.

And what's more, even great demos can be misleading. For example, Don Solaris' amazing AN-1x demos. From listening to those you might think "Wow. What a killer synth." So you get one, and then find out how difficult it is to get sounds like that out of it without being a master sound designer!
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ co-sign again... i actually had similar yet reverse experience with the moog voyager. all the synth demos on YT are guys noodling 70s solos ad infinitum or cheezy dance producers using it in a swedish mafia meatball way.. when i wanted to find out the more subtle experimental side of it with crazy modulated sounds using the touch pad and step sequencers.. the same was pretty much the case with the LP and now the subby where all the demos seem to focus on wobble basses and distorted leads, it is perhaps a skewed view of the synths potential which is why i'll definitely reserve final judgement on how it sounds until i lay my hands on it..
πŸ“ Reply